9 September 2016
Time: 8:45am - 5:30pm
Venue: The Hotel, Boulevard de Waterloo 38, 1000 Brussels
The ICC-Baker & McKenzie Tenth Annual Conference 2016 on ‘Trends and Developments in Global Competition Law’ will be held on Friday 9 September in Brussels.
This year, the conference will address significant developments of great interest to both corporate counsel, private practitioners, policy-makers, competition enforcement officials and academics in the major areas: international merger control; information exchange; international cartel enforcement; and the e-commerce sector inquiry.
The issues to be addressed
International merger control
- Impact of international cooperation: procedure; substance and remedies
- Economic and evidentiary underpinnings of merger decisions
- Procedural highlights: deadline extensions; incompleteness decisions; investigations re data accuracy.
- Information exchange distinguishable from cartels?
- IT-facilitated concerted practices
- Information exchange in the merger context.
International cartel enforcement
- Dawn raids - practice and developments
- Role of intermediaries and facilitators
- Impact of whistle blower portals.
The E-commerce sector inquiry
- What future for selective distribution?
- Active versus passive sales: obsolete in the online world?
- Online versus offline pricing: regulatory rigidity or commercial flexibility?
- Svend Albaek, Deputy Chief Economist, DG Competition
- Eugene Buttigieg, Judge, European Union General Court
- Fiona Carlin, Partner, Baker & McKenzie
- John Davies, Partner, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
- Cani Fernández, Partner, Cuatrecasas, Gonçalves Pereira
- Ethel Fonseca, Principal, RBB Economics
- Christian Horstkotte, Partner, Baker & McKenzie
- Zsuzsanna Jambor, Head of Unit, European Commission
- Christoph Leibenath, Senior Antitrust Counsel, Nestlé SA
- Jacquelyn MacLennan, Partner, White & Case
- Ute Mockel, Judge, Higher Regional Court of Frankfurt
- Konrad Ost, Vice President, Bundeskartellamt
- Vivien Rose, Judge, High Court of Justice
- Cynthia Sanfilippo, Director of public affairs, L'Oréal
- Stephan Simon, Senior Expert Mergers - Case Manager, European Commission
- Bao Zhi, Partner, FenXun Partners.
8.45-9.15am: Registration and coffee
9.15-9.30am: Introduction and welcome by conference chairmen
- Eyad Maher Dabbah (ICC) and Werner Berg (Baker & McKenzie).
9.30am: International merger control
- Chair: John Davies, Partner, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
- Speakers: Stephan Simon, Senior Expert Mergers; Deputy Head of Unit, DG Competition, European Commission; Ethel Fonseca, Principal, RBB Economics; Bao Zhi, Representative, Baker & McKenzie FenXun (FTZ) Joint Operation Office
11-11.15am: Coffee break
11.15am: Information exchange
- Chair: Eugene Buttigieg, Judge, European Union General Court
- Speakers: Christoph Leibenath, Senior Antitrust Counsel, Nestlé; Cani Fernández, Partner, Cuatrecasas, Gonçalves Pereira; Christian Horstkotte, Partner, Baker & McKenzie
12.45pm: Business lunch
2pm: International cartel enforcement
- Chair: Vivien Rose, Judge, High Court of Justice
- Speakers: Zsuzsanna Jambor, Head of Unit, DG Competition, European Commission; Konrad Ost, Vice President, Bundeskartellamt; Jacquelyn MacLennan, Partner, White & Case
3.30-3.45pm: Coffee break
3.45pm: The E-commerce sector inquiry: status quo or watershed?
- Chair: Fiona Carlin, Partner, Baker & McKenzie
- Speakers: Svend Albaek, Deputy Chief Economist, DG Competition, European Commission; Ute Mockel, Judge, Higher Regional Court (Oberlandesgericht) Frankfurt/M.; Cynthia Sanfilippo, Director Public Affairs, L’Oréal
5.15-5.30pm: Conclusions and reflections
How to book
To register for this event visit the QMUL eshop.
Photography, video and audio recording
Please note that events may be photographed or video and audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by Queen Mary University of London. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email the ICC on email@example.com in advance of the event that you are attending.