7 September 2015
Time: 9:00am - 6:00pm
Venue: Lincoln’s Inn Fields, Queen Mary University of London, WC2A 3JB
The aim of the conference is to launch the Centre for Small States as the home for research and learning into the legal issues facing small states (defined as those states with a population of 1.5m or less). The Centre for Small States also includes within its remit some territories that are not classified as states as a matter of international law, yet are sufficiently geographically and culturally distinct entities to be worthy of study in their own right such as the British Crown Dependencies and British Overseas Territories).
- Professor Lino Briguglio, Islands and Small States Institute, University of Malta
- Professor Baldur Thorhallsson, Centre for Small State Studies, University of Iceland
- Her Honour Justice Mathilda Twomey, Court of Appeal, Seychelles
- Professor Susy Frankel, Victoria University of Wellington
- Dr Ann Mumford, King’s College London
- Professor Catharine Rogers, Queen Mary University of London and Penn State University
Topics for discussion will include ethics in small jurisdictions, the challenges of mixed legal systems in small states, small states as tax havens, and intellectual property issues.
Call for papers
We have a small number of spaces for additional speakers. We welcome contributions on any aspect of the legal situation of small states, be it public or private law. Please send your abstract of 300-400 words to Dr Caroline Morris email@example.com and Dr Petra Butler firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 June 2015. Decisions regarding inclusion in the conference programme will be sent by 30 June 2015.
For directions please refer to the map.
How to Book
To register, please visit the Queen Mary e-shop page.
- £50 – General Registration
- £30 – Half Day Registration
- £10 – Student Registration
If you encounter any problems registering, please contact email@example.com.
Photography, video and audio recording
Please note that Department of Law events may be photographed or video and audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by Queen Mary University of London. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of the event that you are attending.