Skip to main content
Global Opportunities


Studying abroad offers you an incredible chance to enrich your life and career prospects by meeting different cultures, people and work in different environments.

The International Exchange Programme (IEP) enables you to study abroad for a full academic year, or if permitted by your academic school, autumn semester of year 2 of a three-year degree programme.

Please consult full Terms and Conditions for the Student Exchange Programme at Queen Mary here: Terms and Conditions Outbound Student Exchange Programme [PDF 462KB], as well as the General Conditions of Participation on the Terms and Conditions webpage.

When can I go?

When you can go on your study placement depends on your degree programme. To find out more about your options, please review your options by consulting the list of partner universities and getting in touch with your academic School/Department Coordinator

Students who wish to study abroad for a full academic year will spend Year three of a four-year degree programme abroad. If you are not enrolled on a four-year degree programme which includes a year abroad, speak to your academic School about a programme transfer to the four year programme. Some academic schools will allow their students to spend the first semester of year 2 of a three-year degree programme abroad on exchange. Please check with your School if your degree programme has the autumn semester-only option.

Students already enrolled on a Four Year Integrated Masters programme that does not include a Year abroad would need to transfer to a five year degree. Please consult with your academic department for information on how you will be able to study abroad during your degree programme at Queen Mary.

Enjoy being part of university life abroad

As an IEP student, you will be able to use all of your host institution’s available welfare and sporting/social facilities on the same basis as any other fully enrolled student.

Full recognition of your studies and finding the right programme of study

Transferable academic credits only apply to studies that are part of your host institution’s curriculum; Queen Mary must be satisfied that your programme of study is integrated into your current degree course, so the approval of your academic School/Department Coordinator at Queen Mary is essential.

Please ensure that you choose modules that are equivalent to a full creditload, which is equivalent to 60 Queen Mary credits per semester/120 Queen Mary credits for a full year abroad; this is absolutely essential in order to receive full recognition of your studies. 

Therefore, you should meet with your academic at Queen Mary to discuss your module choices for your IEP exchange. You then will need to include your final selection of modules in your Learning Agreement to be signed by both yourself and your academic department at Queen Mary. This ensures that your studies abroad will be fully recognised by Queen Mary.

Students should take note where restrictions on module availability are advertised on the host institution's webpages. Students should not select study abroad destinations where restrictions would prevent them from meeting any of their degree requirements.

If you make any changes to these modules during your studies abroad, you must complete the "During the mobility" section of your Learning Agreement with yours and your academic department's signature. This will ensure that what appears on your final transcript of records matches what was agreed in your Learning Agreement.

Failure to complete your exchange

Very rarely, some students find themselves unable to complete their study abroad period for a variety of reasons.

Please be aware that if you fail to attend your classes or fail to gain sufficient credit on your placement, there can be implications for your academic progress at Queen Mary. For this reason, if you have any problems or difficulties during your placement, you should contact your Queen Mary School/Department Coordinator as soon as possible.

If you fail to pass the number of credits and have to take re-sit your exams, these resits will not form part of your study period abroad. You will need to register separately for your resits and pay any required resit fee directly to your host university.

Please consult full Terms & Conditions via link available near top of page.

Find out more about your host country

The following links should give you more advice on studying in your proposed host country: