If you're visiting this page, then you probably have been granted a Conditional Offer to go abroad with Queen Mary. Congratulations! You've made a great decision to enhance your Queen Mary degree with an experience overseas on one of our programmes.
It is important for you to attend all Pre-Departure briefings/workshops/events to which you are invited, as pre-departure guidance varies depending on your exchange programme and destination. As you prepare for your exchange, these briefings are a vital way to receive useful information, to ask questions (saving you time and avoiding misunderstandings down the line) and also to meet other students going abroad.
From selection to departure
Please ensure you read all information you receive from us and your host institution or organisation carefully and complete all actions.
It is your responsibility to ensure you are well prepared for your time abroad by following our guidance.
- Are made a Conditional Offer to study abroad will be advised on next steps to complete by the Global Opportunities Office;
- Accept their Conditional Offer to study abroad will be nominated to the partner/host institution by either their academic department or the Global Opportunities Office;
- Have not been made a Conditional Offer to study abroad by the Global Opportunities Office should not attempt to complete any application materials for any of our partner institutions or to contact them directly requesting such information.
Students whose nominations are accepted by the partner institution will:
- Begin to receive communications directly from their host destination (either the international office and/or relevant academic department); these communications may be in English or in the language of the host destination;
- Need to complete all host institution application procedures (forms, supporting documentation) as requested by the partner and by the specified deadlines.
Students will not be permitted to complete their mobility period as forecasted if they do not:
- Meet the conditions specified in their Conditional Offer to study abroad;
- Receive an offer of admission from their host institution as a result of not completing their application procedures by the specified deadline/s.
Useful tips to get started
The list below is a a brief overview but by no means exhaustive of the steps that nominated students must complete before they depart on exchange. Your Checklist will cover all your required steps in more detail. In the meantime, you may refer to the below overview as you begin to research your programme and destination, contacting us if you have any queries:
- Read all guidance sent from the GO Office and your academic department;
- Attend any pre-departure briefings;
- Complete ALL paperwork and actions from Queen Mary and the host instutution by the deadlines (see "Checklist and paperwork" section of this webpage);
- Apply for and complete all Student Finance forms and grants for which you may be eligible (where applicable), with the support of Advice and Counselling (only for Home/EU student with loans through Student Finance);
- Review our Health and Safety page;
- Review your host institution's/organisation's information pages - familiarise yourself with their advice around pre-departure, class registration, arrival, healthcare, visas and insurance etc.;
- Obtain relevant guidance on visas and insurance from your host institution;
- Maintain your academic eligibility to participate on the Outbound Student Exchange Programme (see conditions of your offer);
- Ensure that you have made any funding bodies supporting you aware that you will be going overseas;
- Useful resources: Lonely Planet, Foreign Travel Advice (UK Gov), Fit for Travel, Foreign Travel Checklist (UK Gov) - Please note the Government resources included here are for the UK Governement. If you are an international student going abroad with Queen Mary, you should also consult and make a note of contacts from your home country e.g. embassy contacts in your host country.
Checklist and paperwork
Once you accept a Conditional Offer to study abroad on exchange from the Global Opportunities Office, you will begin to receive communications about next steps and required paperwork to complete for Queen Mary. You will separately receive communications from the host institution about procedures and paperwork required by them. Both sets of paperwork are important and require your attention.
All Queen Mary documentation requiring your action will be sent to you via email by the Global Opportunities Office. This paperwork will include a combination of pre-completed paperwork that you will need to approve and sign, or paperwork requiring your completion.
You will receive an easy-to-follow Checklist from the Global Opportunities Office when you receive your first set of Queen Mary documentation requiring your action for completion. Once received, use this this Checklist to carefully check that you have completed your documentation correctly. Feel free to use the tick boxes to help you keep track of what you have returned to the GO Office. This Checklist does not need to be returned to us - it is for your use only.
You will always submit all required Queen Mary paperwork via your Mobility-Online workflow unless otherwise specified (see section "Mobility-Online software: your student 'workflow'" on this webpage).
It is advised to keep copies of all documents related to your exchange in a cloud-storage folder that you can access at all times (e.g. Dropbox, Google Drive).
Acceptable formats for submitting paperwork
All documentation must be submitted via your Mobility-Online workflow unless otherwise specified. The Global Opportunities Office only accepts good-quality scans and documents submitted in merged PDF files* (one document per file). You will be unable to submit/upload multiple pages of the same document separately.
Some documents require a signature; a signature cannot be typed. Therefore, you will need to either a) take a high-quality picture of your wet/handwritten signature and insert that as an image file directly into the document, or b) print as a hard copy, wet-sign and scan the document, making sure you then merge all pages including the signature page into one file.
(*) Multiple, individual png files/photographs of completed forms, or scans of individual pages of forms, will not be accepted. For each required document, you are asked to save the individual images of your scanned pages as pdf documents onto your computer and then combine all pages of the same document together into one single PDF file. PDF combining software is plentiful on the internet for free download for all operating systems, such as iLovePDF.com.
Mobility-Online software: your student 'workflow'
The Global Opportunities Office uses the mobility management software Mobility-Online to manage all outbound credit-bearing study placements.
If you receive and accept a Conditional offer of exchange, you will continue to use this online platform(*) to manage your mobility preparations, just as you did to apply for the exchange opportunity initially.
Through your student workflow in the software, you will submit all contractual paperwork and complete relevant processes as required on Queen Mary's side, throughout all mobility phases (Before, During, After). Both your academic department and the GO Office will be able to view your mobility record and are able to send you communications through the platform. In rare instances where the GO Office may need you to submit paperwork by email, you will be informed accordingly.
Please visit the QMplus page "Go Abroad, Student Information & Resources" if you require assistance logging in to your Mobility-Online workflow.
(*) In some rare instances, your host institution may also be using Mobility-Online to manage incoming student exchange processes for you on their side. If this is the case, you would have two separate accounts, logins, workflows and processes to complete (for which we would suggest that you maintain two separate browers for logging in).
Please get in touch with the contact for your programme if you would like further information about Pre-Departure. A full list of Global Opportunities staff can be found in our Contact Us webpage.