Global Opportunities

Visas and immigration

The following information has been provided by the Welfare Advisers in the Queen Mary Advice and Counselling Service who are trained immigration advisers and are regulated by the UK Government’s Immigration Services Commissioner. You can read more about this on their website: Advice and Counselling Service Immigration Advice

Travelling to the UK

To travel to the UK, you may be required to apply in advance for immigration permission to enter the country (this is usually called a visa). This depends on your nationality, the length of your academic programme and whether or not you want to work alongside your studies. You can check our advice guide to see the current list of visa nationals. 

One semester students

If you are coming for one semester, you can either come under the Tier 4 immigration route, or as a Short-term Student. Please see our Advice and Counselling Service’s Immigration page for further details.

Tier 4 (General) Student immigration permission

If you are studying for longer than six months, you must apply for Tier 4 (General) Student immigration permission before travelling to the UK, even if you are a non-visa national.

You should refer to our Tier 4 advice guide Applying for Tier 4 (General) Student immigration permission for detailed information on the Tier 4 visa. 

Visa advice for Erasmus+/SEMP students

Until the end of the transition period, you will not require a visa to enter the UK if you possess a valid passport from an EU Member State, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. However, please check your passport/National ID is valid and if necessary, renew it as early as possible, and before leaving for the UK. After the end of the transition period immigration regulations will be available and for further details please visit our Advice and Counselling Service’s Immigration page.

Travelling to the UK via the Republic of Ireland

If you plan to enter the UK from the Republic of Ireland, you need to check how this affects your immigration status. Please refer to our guidance What immigration permission do I need to study at Queen Mary?

For the latest, detailed information on visa and immigration requirements, please see our Advice and Counselling Service’s Immigration page.

Queen Mary and Brexit
If you are a prospective student from the EU wondering how Brexit might affect you, please visit our FAQ pages.