Skip to main content

The Health and Safety Executive are advising that there is no increased risk from DSE work for those working at home temporarily during this period. You are therefore not required to complete a home workstation (DSE) assessment at this time.

Below are some top tips for using a laptop or tablet when working from home:-

In order to achieve a good working posture you should:

  • Sit at a table rather than on the sofa or in bed.
  • Raise the laptop screen to eye level, using a laptop raiser if required.
  • Attach a separate keyboard and mouse where possible.
  • Adopt a good sitting position in order to avoid straining wrists, arms, neck or back.
  • Sit directly in front of your screen (i.e. avoid twisting positions).
  • Avoid glare and reflected light.

Guidance on your remote work set up [PDF 491KB] can be downloaded. You can complete your own basic assessment at home using this DSE User Checklist [DOC 291KB]. If needed you can consult these DSE suggested solutions [DOC 24KB]. Please note if you do complete the checklist there is no requirement for you to send it through to your line manager as this is a self-assessment to assist you in setting up your temporary workstation.

Where you have been using specialist ergonomic equipment in your office on campus and feel you are unable to work safely without this at home, you should discuss this with your line manager. However, for larger specialist equipment, such as ergonomic chairs and desks, you are encouraged to find other ways of creating a comfortable working environment. Practical solutions suggested by the Health & Safety Executive include:

  • supporting cushions for lumbar support
  • a small box as a foot rest
  • an ironing board or kitchen counter as a standing desk
  • books as a monitor raiser.

Most importantly you should ensure you are taking regular breaks to stretch, stand up and change positions (at least 5 minutes every hour).

If further advice is still required after following the H&S guidance then it is recommended you consult Occupational Health.

Back to top