Study abroad with Queen Mary
Studying or travelling abroad during your degree is an enriching and exciting way to broaden your university and life experience – and exploring the world is second nature to geographers and environmental scientists.
Whether you decide to spend the summer, a semester or the entire year abroad, doing so will help you develop a global perspective by travelling as far afield as North America, Asia, Australasia, New Zealand and across Europe.
Current Queen Mary students looking to study overseas
Queen Mary has a range of opportunities for you to study abroad, and having an international experience enhances your employability, enriches your studies and broadens your horizons. You can choose to study abroad as part of your degree programme or take part in one of our cultural immersion programmes in the summer with one of our global partners.
To find out more and apply, please see the programme links listed below, or contact the School of Geography's International Study Officer, Dr Marcia Vera Espinoza, in the first instance. For general enquiries, please contact the Global Opportunities team.
'With a Year Abroad' degrees
Did you know? Prospective students can choose to apply for a four-year version of all our degree programmes with a full year abroad. The four-year degrees have the same structure as the three-year versions, but the entire third year is spent abroad at one of our partner universities in Europe, North America, Australia, or Asia (specific partnerships for each programme may vary).
When you return to Queen Mary, you will have a new perspective on life for your final year and will be awarded the 'With a Year Abroad' variant in your degree title, which will help you stand out to employers. During your year abroad you'll pay only 15% of your tuition fees to Queen Mary (Home/EU students; international students pay 50%), and while you don't need to pay any tuition fees at the partner institution abroad, you will need to cover the cost of your transport to your destination and your living expenses, including accommodation. To apply for our four-year degree programmes, search for 'Geography with a Year Abroad' on UCAS (institution code: Q50). Current first- and second-year Queen Mary students can also apply to do a year abroad by doing an in-degree transfer.
Requirements: students must maintain excellent attendance record and achieve 60% average to do a year abroad. If a student fails to achieve a 60% average at the end of year 2, they will be transferred to a three-year degree.
- Join one of Queen Mary’s partner institutions and study abroad for a semester in your second year.
- Current locations include Australia, Canada, India, Korea, Malaysia, China, New Zealand, Singapore and the United States.
- Open to students with a minimum entry of BBB (300 tariff points).
- This exchange counts towards your degree.
- You pay your fees to Queen Mary while abroad (with discounts varying depending on your fee status) but you do not pay tuition fees at the host university.
Everyone I met was super friendly, kind and open. I joined the excursion club, a surf team, the water polo team, and even an intra-mural soccer team, and I was able to visit places such as Las Vegas, Death Valley, Monterey, San Diego, San Francisco, Yosemite and Big Sur.— Eleanor Dixon-Brandt, BA Geography (2017) – spent a year at the University of California, Santa Barbara
- Join this European Union scheme and study abroad for one or two semesters.
- Current locations for geography students are Roskilde University in Denmark and Stockholm University in Sweden, and Zurich University in Switzerland.
- This placement counts towards your degree.
- Non-repayment Erasmus+ grants are available to ALL students (home/EU and overseas). The amount depends on destination country and activity (for Europe: €280-430 per month in 2019-20).
- Top-up grants available for home/EU students from disadvantaged backgrounds* (€20-100 per month in 2017-18). Additional grants are available for students with special needs. *students from households with annual income of £25,000 or less
The best thing was living with other Erasmus students. I’d highly recommend the study abroad experience to anyone as I think it will challenge you and make you a stronger person as a result!— Lauren D'Costa, BSc Geography (2017) – spent a semester at Roskilde University, Denmark
- Make the most of your summer break and experience a different culture and society overseas.
- Current locations include China, India and Latin America.
- This placement does not count towards your degree but is a valuable cultural experience.
- Fees vary from zero up to approximately £800-1200.
Classes were fun and it was enjoyable being taught in Spanish and English and having the choice to talk to the lecturers in either language. I’ve been trying to practise Spanish since returning and will continue to do so.— Tanzina Khatun, BA Geography (2017) – spent three weeks at the Universidad de Antioquia, Colombia
Incoming students spending a semester or year at Queen Mary
The Arrivals Guide for Associate Students is essential for you. It also contains a detailed orientation schedule – download it below. A printed copy will be handed to you at orientation. See the Global Opportunities web pages for further details.
To find out about choosing modules and how studying abroad works for your degree programme, contact the School of Geography's International Study Director, Dr Regan Koch.