Congratulations to Dr Bronwyn Parry, Professor Adrian Smith and Dr Cathy McIlwaine
- Dr Bronwyn Parry has been promoted to Reader in Geography.
- Professor Adrian Smith recently been appointed to the editorial boards of three journals:
• Economic Geography
• Geography Compass: section on Economic Geography
• Folia Geographica (a Slovak geography journal)
- Dr Bronwyn Parry has been appointed as a Member of the Council of the Nuffield Council on Bioethics, serving on a working party on forensic uses of bio-information. Bronwyn may well be the first geographer to serve in such a position, alongside eminent clinicians, lawyers, philosophers, scientists and theologians.
- Dr Cathy McIlwaine has recently participated in the World Women's Forum in Deauville in France. This is the women's equivalent of the World Economic Forum and involved the participation of around 3,000 female leaders from around the world and from all walks of life, but primarily from the political and corporate worlds (very few academics). Cathy was in a panel on gender-based violence called 'Still a Dangerous World for Women' moderated by Ana Maria Salazar who is a former national security advisor to Bill Clinton.
There is a website for the conference available at:
and for her panel here.