Professor David Williams, BDS (Hons), MSc, PhD, FRCPath, FDS RCS (Engl)
Professor of Global Oral Health
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0) 20 7882 8632Room Number: DPH & PC Office, Floor 5, Institute of Dentistry
Professor Williams is Professor of Global Oral Health at Bart’s and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London and Academic Lead for International Partnership. Previously he was Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Health and Life Sciences and Professor of Pathology at the University of Southampton between 2004-10 and then Vice Provost between 2010-11.
He is currently Vice Chair of the FDI World Dental Federation Research Committee and Co-chair of the FDI Vision 2020 Think Tank.
He was President of the International Association for Dental Research (IADR) between 2009-10. During his Presidency, he was the driving force behind the IADR Global Oral Health Inequalities Research Agenda (GOHIRA) initiative. This sets out the research agenda to generate the evidence for a strategy that will reduce inequalities in oral health within a generation. This agenda is a key IADR strategic priority and is being implemented through the IADR Global Oral Health Inequalities Research Network. Professor Williams was one of the founders of the IADR Global Oral Health Inequalities Research Network and its President from 2014-17.
I participate in the Dental Public Health teaching to years 2, 3 and 4 of the BDS course. I also supervise 4-5 students each year for the Student Selected Component on Global Oral Health. I also supervise Medical students on the Global Health BSc Course for their research dissertations on Global Health.
Since 2009: Global Oral Health Inequalities
The IADR-GOHIRA call to action prioritised the “develop(ment) .. , in partnership with cognate evidence-based medical and dental organizations, (of) a knowledge base that uses a standard set of reporting criteria.” In collaboration with Prof Michael Glick, University of Buffalo, USA, Professor Williams has led an international collaboration to develop a consensus dataset that integrates clinical measures of oral health with patient-reported physiological and psychosocial measures. This project is being undertaken under the auspices of the World Dental Federation FDI and the International Consortium for Health Outcomes Measurement. In addition to addressing a key IADR research priority, the dataset provides an instrument to measure oral health status and treatment outcomes in general dental practice. This is aligned with the principle of value-based healthcare that takes into account outcome measures that matter to patients.
Prior to 2009: The Oral Mucosa in Health and Disease
Structure and function of oral mucosa: focused on the structural and functional nature of the protective barrier of oral mucosa and the effects of environmental agents on its integrity.
Mucosal disease, with special reference to HIV infection: I was the convenor of the international workshop that characterised the oral mucosal lesions definitively associated with HIV infection. This classification has been adopted universally.
Mucosal response to Porphyromonas gingivalis: focused on the interaction between this key periodontal pathogen and host neutrophils, keratinocytes and fibroblasts
This research was recognised by the International Association for Dental Research in 1996 through a Distinguished Scientist Award, the most prestigious that the Association can confer.
- GALLOWAY JW, KEIJSER BJF, WILLIAMS DM. (2016). Saliva in studies of epidemiology of human disease: the UK Biobank project. Periodontology 2000 70: 184-95
- CHALLACOMBE SJ, TAPPUNI AR, RANGANATHAN K, ROBINSON PG, WILLIAMS DM, JOHNSON NW. (2016). Hyderabad declaration 2014. Oral Diseases 22: Supp 1. doi:10.1111/odi.12427
- KOYIO L, RANGANATHAN K, KATTAPPAGARI KK, WILLIAMS DM, ROBINSON PG. (2016). Oral health needs assessment world-wide in relation to HIV. Themes: Oral health needs and inequalities, oral health promotion, coordinating research and enhancing dissemination in relation to HIV- a workshop report. Oral Diseases 22: Suppl 1: 199-205. doi:10.1111/odi.12433
- WATT RG, HEILMANN A, ROUXEL P, WILLIAMS DM, TSAKOS G. (2016). Aubrey Sheiham: Iconoclast and Dental Public Health Pioneer. J Dent Res: DOI: 10.1177/0022034516664478
- GLICK M, WILLIAMS DM, KLEINMAN DV, VUJICIC M, WATT RG, WEYANT RJ. (2016). A new definition for oral health developed by the FDI World Dental Federation opens the door to a universal definition of oral health. J Amer Dent Ass 147:915-917.
- Lee JY, Watt RG, Williams DM, Giannobile WV. (2016) A New Definition for Oral Health: Implications for Clinical Practice, Policy and Research. J Dent Res DOI: 10.1177/0022034516682718
- WILLIAMS DM, MATHUR MR. (2016). Addressing Oral Health Inequalities: A Major Public Health Challenge for the Asia Pacific Region. Nature India Special Issue: S3-4.
- SHEIHAM AS, WILLIAMS DM. (2015). Reducing Inequalities in Oral Health in African and Middle-East Region (AMER). Adv Dent Res. Accepted for publication 17 January 2015.
- NALLAMUTHU N, BRADEN M, OXFORD J, WILLIAMS DM, PATEL M. Modification of pH Conferring Virucidal Activity on Dental Alginates. Materials 2015, 8: 1966-1975; doi:3390/ma8041966
- SHEIHAM AS, WILLIAMS DM, WEYANT RJ, GLICK M, NAIDOO S, EISELE J-L, SELIKOWITZ H-S. (2015). Billions with oral disease: A global health crisis – a call to action. J Amer Dent Ass 146: 861-4.
- SGAN-COHEN HD, EVANS W, WHELTON, VILLENA RS, MACDOUGALL M, WILLIAMS DM. (2013) Global Oral Health Inequalities Research Agenda: An IADR Board Call to Action. DOI: 10.1177/002203451247521
- WILLIAMS DM, SHEIHAM AS, WATT RG. (2013) Oral Health Professionals and Social Determinants. Brit Dent J 214 (9): 427-8. DOI: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2013.436
- PATEL MP, CHURCHMAN SA, CRUCHLEY AT, BRADEN M, WILLIAMS DM (2013) Electrically induced transport of macromolecules through oral buccal mucosa. Dent Mater 29(6):674-681
- PATEL MP, CHURCHMAN SA, CRUCHLEY AT, BRADEN M, WILLIAMS DM (2013) Delivery of macromolecules across oral mucosa from polymeric hydrogels is enhanced by electrophoresis (iontophoresis). Dent Mater 29: e299-e307
- WILLIAMS DM (2014). The Research Agenda on Oral Health Inequalities: The IADR-GOHIRA Initiative. Med Princ Pract DOI:10.1159/000356934. http://www.karger.com/DOI/10.1159/000356934
- WATT RG, WILLIAMS DM, SHEIHAM A (2014). The role of the dental team in promoting health equity. Brit Dent J 261: 11-14. DOI: 10.1038/sj.bdj. 2013.1234
- HAGI-PAVLI E, WILLIAMS DM, ROWLAND JL, THORNHILL MH, CRUCHLEY AT (2014). Characterizing the immunological effects of oral healthcare ingredients using an in vitro reconstructed human epithelial model. Food and Chemical Toxicology 74: 139-48. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2014.09.007
- GLICK M, MONTEIRO DA SILVA O, SEEBERGER GK, XU T, PUCCA G, WILLIAMS DM, KESS S, EISELE J-L, SEVERIN T. (2012) FDI Vision 2020: shaping the future of oral health. International Dental Journal 62: 278–291
- WILLIAMS DM. 2011. Guest Editorial: Global Oral Health Inequalities: the research agenda. J Dent Res 90: 549-551
- WILLIAMS DM. 2011. Global Oral Health Inequalities: the research agenda. Adv Dent Res 23 (2): 198-200
- WILLIAMS DM. 2011. Reducing Inequalities in Oral Disease. Brit Dent J 210: 393
- URDEA MS, NEUWALD, GREENBERG, GLICK M, GALLOWAY J, WILLIAMS DM, WONG DTW. 2011. Saliva, Diagnostics and Dentistry. Adv Dent Res 23(4) : 353-59
- DOMMISCH H, CHUNG WO, ROHANI MG, WILLIAMS DM, RANGARAJAN M, CURTIS MA, DALE BA. 2007. Protease-activated receptor-2 mediates hBD-2 and CCL20 mRNA expression in response to proteases secreted by Porphyromonas gingivalis Infect Immun 75: 4326-33
- HEALY CM, WILLIAMS DM & THORNHILL MH 2004. Haematinic deficiency in recurrent aphthous stomatitis: its prevalence and response to treatment. J Oral Biosci and Med 1: 259-66
- LODUCCA SVL, MANTESSO A, KAPAS S, WILLAIAMS DM & ARAUJO VC 2003. Salivary gland tumours: immunoexpression of integrins b1, b3 and b J Oral Path Med 32: 305-309.
- SCRAGG MA, ALSAM A, RANGARANJAN M, SLANEY JM, SHEPHERD P, WILLIAMS DM & CURTIS MA 2002. Nuclear targeting of Porphyromonas gingivalis W50 protease in epithelial cells. Infect Immun 70: 5740-5750.
- SELVARATNAM L, CRUCHLEY AT, NAVSARIA H, WERTZ PW, HAGI-PAVLI E, LEIGH IM SQUIER CA & WILLIAMS DM 2001. Permeability barrier properties of oral keratinocyte cultures: a model of intact human oral mucosa. Oral Dis 7:252-258.
- HOWIE NM, TRIGKAS TK, CRUCHLEY AT, WERTZ PW, SQUIER CA & WILLIAMS DM 2001. Short-term exposure to alcohol increases the permeability of human oral mucosa. Oral Dis 7:349-354.
- ARAUJO VC, LODUCCA SV, SOUSA SO, WILLIAMS DM, & ARAUJO NS 2001. The cribriform features of adenoid cystic carcinoma and polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma: cytokeratin and integrin expression. Annals of Diagnostic Pathology 5: 330-334.
- HEALY CM, CRUCHLEY AT, THORNHILL MH & WILLIAMS DM 2000. The effect of sodium lauryl sulphate, triclosan and zinc on the permeability of normal oral mucosa. Oral Dis 6: 118-123
- SCRAGG MA, KELLY MJ & WILLIAMS DM. 2000 Porphyromonas givingivalis induces ultrastructural and cytoskeletal changes in adherent human polymorphonuclear leucocytes. J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol 32:221-228.
- PATEL MP, CRUCHLEY AT, COLEMAN DC, SWAI H, BRADEN M & WILLIAMS DM 2001. A polymeric system for the intra-oral delivery of an anti- fungal agent. Biomaterials 22: 2319-2324
- HEALY CM, PATERSON M, JOYSTON-BECHAL S, WILLIAMS DM, THORNHILL MH 1999. The effect of a sodium lauryl sulfate-free dentifrice on patients with recurrent oral ulceration. Oral Dis 5: 39-43.
- ONG’UTI MN, HOWELLS GL, WILLIAMS DM 1999. An immunohistochemical study of keratin expression in ameloblastoma from a Kenyan population. Oral Dis 5: 111-116.
- SCRAGG MA, CANNON SJ, RANGARAJAN M, WILLIAMS DM & CURTIS MA. Targeted disruption of fibronectin/integrin interactions in human gingival fibroblasts by the RI protease of Porphyromonas gingivalis W50. Infection and Immunity 67:1837-1843.
- CRUCHLEY AT, DeSOUZA YG, WILLIAMS DM, GREENSPAN D, GREENSPAN JS 1998. Bromodeoxyuridine incorporation and Ki 67 expression in oral hairy leukoplakia. Oral Dis 4: 9-15.
- CRUCHLEY AT, WILLIAMS DM NIEDOBITEK G, YOUNG LS 1997. Epstein-Barr virus: biology and disease. Oral Dis 3 suppl 1: S156-S163.
- CRUCHLEY AT, MURRAY PG, NIEDOBITEK G, REYNOLDS GM, WILLIAMS DM, YOUNG LS. 1997 The expression of the Epstein-Barr virus nuclear antigen (EBNA-1) in oral hairy leukoplakia. Oral Dis 3 Suppl 1: S177-S179.
- WILLIAMS HK, WILLIAMS DM 1997. Oral granular cell tumours: A histological and immuocytochemical study. J Oral Path Med 26: 164-9.
- ONG’UTI MN, CRUCHLEY AT, HOWELLS GL, WILLIAMS DM 1997. Ki-67 antigen in ameloblastoms: correlation with clinical and histological parameters in 54 cases from Kenya. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 26: 376-379.
- KOTHARI PS, MURPHY M, HOWELLS GL, WILLIAMS DM. 1996 Hemangiopericytoma - A report of two cases arising on the lip. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 34(5):454-6.
- ROBINSON CM, DiBIASE AT, LEIGH IM, WILLIAMS DM, THORNHILL MH. 1996 Oral psoriasis. Br J Dermatol 134: 347-349.
- MURRAY PG, NIEDOBITEK G, KREMMER E, GRÄSSER F, REYNOLDS GM, CRUTCHLEY A, WILLIAMS DM, MÜLLER-LANTZSCH N, YOUNG LS. 1996 In situ detection of the Epstein-Barr virus-encoded nuclear antigen 1 in oral hairy leukoplakia and virus-associated carcinomas. J Pathol 178: 44-47.
- BARRETT AW, CRUCHLEY AT, WILLIAMS DM. 1996 Oral mucosal Langerhans' cells. Crit Rev Oral Biol & Med 7: 36-58.
- MAUPOME G, HURST TJ, SPEIGHT PM, WILTON JMA, WILLIAMS DM, DIEZ DE BONILLA EJ Fagocitosis de particulas de latex por macrofagos de raton: influencia del tamano de la particula en su internacion y en la liberacion de lisozima. Patologis (Mex) 34: 295-301.
- SCRAGG MA, CANNON SJ, WILLIAMS DM. 1996 The secreted products of Porphyromonas gingivalis alter human gingival fibroblast morphology by selective damage to integrin-substrate interactions. Microb Ecol in Health & Dis. 9: 167-179.
- KING GN, HEALY CM, GLOVER MT, KWAN JTC, WILLIAMS DM, LEIGH IM, WORTHINGTON HV, THORNHILL MH. 1995 Increased prevalence of dysplastic and malignant lip lesions in renal transplant recipients. New Engl J Med 332: 1052-7.
- NEWMAN L, HOWELLS GL, COGHLAN KM, DIBIASE A, WILLIAMS DM. 1995 Malignant ameloblastoma revisited. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1995; 33: 47-50.
- With Members of the EEC Clearinghouse on oral problems related to HIV Infection. Classification and diagnostic criteria for oral lesions in HIV infection. J Oral Pathol Med 1995 22: 289-91.
- WILLIAMS DM. 1995 Non-infectious diseases of the oral soft tissue: A new approach. Adv Dent Res 7 (2): 213-219.
- WILLIAMS DM. 1995 Hairy Leukoplakia: Functional and behavioral implications of altered mucosal differentiation. In: Oral Manifestations of HIV Infection pp 192-199. Eds Greenspan JS and Greenspan D. Quintessence
- SCRAGG MA, TURTON LR, NEWMAN HN, WILLIAMS DM. 1995 Effects of Porphyromonas gingivalis culture products on the morphology of peripheral blood polymorphonuclear leucocytes from periodontitis patients and healthy subjects. J Clin Periodontol 22: 585-590.
- FARTHING PM, MARAGOU P, COATES M, TATNALL F, LEIGH IM, WILLIAMS DM. 1995 Characteristics of the oral lesions in patients with cutaneous recurrent erythema multiforme. J Oral Pathol Med 24: 9-13
- NELSON ZL, NEWMAN L, LOUKOTA RA, WILLIAMS DM. 1995 Bilateral multifocal canalicular adenomas of the minor salivary glands. Br J Oral & Maxillofac Surg 33: 299-301.
- BRYAN D. SEXTON J, WILLIAMS D, LEIGH IM, McKAY IA. 1995 Oral keratinocytes immortalised with the early region of HPV type 16 show elevated expression of interleukin-6 which acts as an autocrine growth factor for the derived T103C cell line. Cell Growth Diff 6: 1245-1250.
- NELSON ZL, NEWMAN L, LOUKOTA RA, WILLIAMS DM. 1995 Melanotic neuroectodermal tumour of infancy. An immunohistochemical and ultrastructural study. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 33: 375-380.
- CRUCHLEY AT, WILLIAMS DM, FARTHING PM, SPEIGHT PM, LESCH CA, SQUIER CA. 1994 Langerhans cell density in normal human oral mucosa and skin: relationship to age, smoking and alcohol consumption. J Oral Pathol Med 1994; 23: 55-59.
- SCRAGG MA, CANNON SJ, WILLIAMS DM. 1994 Comparative cytotoxic effects of short-chain fatty acids produced by periodontal pathogens on two cultured fibroblast lines. Microb Ecol Health & Dis 1994; 7: 83-90.
- KING GN, HEALY CM, GLOVER MT, KWAN JTC, WILLIAMS DM, LEIGH IM, THORNHILL MH. 1994 Prevalence and risk factors associated with leukoplakia, hairy leukoplakia, erythematous candidiasis and gingival hyperplasia in renal transplant recipients. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 78: 718-26.
- HEALY CM, FARTHING PM, WILLIAMS DM, THORNHILL MH. 1994 Pyostomatitis vegetans: a review and two case reports. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 78: 323-8.
- COLLIS RE, COLLINS PW, GUTTERIDGE CN, KAUL A, NEWLAND AC, WILLIAMS DM, WEBB AR. 1994 The effect of hydroxyethyl starch and other plasma volume substitutes on endothelial cell activation; an in vitro study. Intensive Care Med 1994; 20(1): 37-41.
- WILLIAMS AT, SEXTON CJ, SINCLAIR AL, PURDIE KJ, THOMAS MS, HANNA NA, GOH BT, WILLIAMS DM, LEIGH IM. 1994 Retention of low copy number human papillomavirus DNA in cultured cutaneous and mucosal wart keratinocytes. J Gen Virol 75: 505-511.
- WILLIAMS HK, CANNELL H, SILVESTER K, WILLIAMS DM. 1993 Neurilemmoma of the head and neck. Br J Oral & Maxillofac Surg 31: 32-35.
- TSE CS and WILLIAMS DM. 1992 Inhibition of human endothelial cell proliferation in vitro in response to n-butyrate and propionate. J Periodont Res 27: 506-510.
- WILLIAMS DM, LEIGH IM, GREENSPAN D and GREENSPAN JS. 1991 Altered patterns of keratin expression in oral hairy leukoplakia: prognostic implications. J Oral Pathol Med 20: 167-71.
- BARRETT AW, WILLIAMS DM and SCOTT J. 1991 The effect of tobacco and alcohol consumption on the Langerhans cell population of human lingual epithelium determined using a monoclonal antibody against HLADR. J Oral Pathol Med 20: 49-52.
- LANGDON JD, WILLIAMS DM, NAVSARIA H, and LEIGH IM. 1991 Autologous keratinocyte grafting: a new technique for intra-oral reconstruction. Brit Dent J 171: 87-90.
- SCRAGG MA, TURTON LR and WILLIAMS DM. 1991 Differential morphological changes in human polymorphonuclear leucocytes induced by culture products of Porphyromonas (Bacteroides) Gingivalis W50 and its colonial variants with reduced virulence. Arch Oral Biol 36: 709-714.
- TSE CS, LYNCH E, BLAKE DR and WILLIAMS DM. 1991 Is home tooth bleaching gel cytotoxic? J Esthet Dent 3: 162-168.
- KAUL A, PEARSON JD, PRETTY R, WILLIAMS DM and DALGLEISH AG. 1991 Vascular endothelium: A potential role in HIV infection and the pathogenesis of Kaposi’s sarcoma: Observations and speculations. Molec Aspects Med 12: 297-312.
- With Members of the EEC Clearinghouse on oral problems related to HIV Infection An update on the classification and diagnostic criteria of oral lesions in HIV infection. J Oral Pathol Med 1991 20: 97-100.
- WILLIAMS DM. 1990 Vesiculo-bullous Mucocutaneous Disease - Benign mucous membrane and bullous pemphigoid. J Oral Pathol Med 19: 16-23.
- SCRAGG MA, TURTON LR and WILLIAMS DM. 1990 Effects of Bacteroides gingivalis culture products on human polymorphonuclear leucocyte morphology. Arch Oral Biol 35: 167-173.
- FEARNE JM, ELLIMAN AM, BRYAN EM, BROOK AH and WILLIAMS DM. 1990 Enamel defects in primary dentition of children born weighing less than 2000g. Brit Den J 168: 433-437.
- TURTON LR, SCRAGG MA, SHAH HN and WILLIAMS DM. 1990 Effects of culture supernatants from Porphyromonas (Bacteroides) gingivalis on the morphology of polymorphonuclear leucocytes. In Eds. Borriello SP. Clinical and Molecular aspects of anaerobes. Wrightson Biomedical Publishing, pp 168-169.
- LANGDON JD, LEIGH IM, NAVSARIA H and WILLIAMS DM. 1990 Autologous oral keratinocyte grafts in the mouth. Lancet 335: 1472-3.
- SPEIGHT PM, CRUCHLEY AT and WILLIAMS DM. 1990 Quantification of plasma cells in labial salivary glands: increased expression of IgM in Sjogrens Syndrome. J Oral Pathol Med 19: 126-130.
- REED MF, SCRAGG MA, WILLIAMS DM and SOAMES JV. 1990 The in vivo effects of Candida albicans products on rat oral epithelium. J Oral Pathol Med 19: 326-329.
- ROBERTS IS, GHARBIA SE, ARNOTT MA, WALLACE A, SHAH HN and WILLIAMS DM. 1990 Purification of the secreted thiol-activated protease of Porphyromonas (Bacteroides) gingivalis and the cloning and expression of the gene in Escherichia coli in Clinical and Molecular Aspects of Anaerobes. Borriello SP., Wrighton Biomedical Publishing, England, pp 227-233.
- ARNOTT MA, RIGG G, SHAH HN, WILLIAMS DM, WALLACE A and ROBERTS IS. 1990 Cloning and expression of a Porphyromonas (Bacteroides) gingivalis protease gene in Escherichia coli. Archs Oral Biol 35: 97s-99s.
- THORNHILL MH, WILLIAMS DM and SPEIGHT PM. 1989 Enhanced adhesion of autologous lymphocytes to gamma-interferon-treated human endothelial cells in vitro. Brit J Exp Path 70: 59-64.
- FARTHING PM, MALAMOS D and WILLIAMS DM. 1989 Metaplastic bone formation in an unusual neural tumour of the oral cavity. Br J Oral & Maxillofac Surg 27: 517-519.
- SPEIGHT PM, CRUCHLEY AT and WILLIAMS DM. 1989 Epithelial HLA-DR expression in labial salivary glands in Sjogrens Syndrome and non-specific sialadenitis. J Oral Pathol Med 18: 178-183.
- WILLIAMS HK, WILLIAMS DM. 1989 Persistent sialadenitis of the minor glands - stomatitis glandularis. Brit J Oral and Maxillofac Surg 27: 212-216.
- GAO ZR, MACKENZIE IC, CRUCHLEY AT, WILLIAMS DM, LEIGH IM and LANE EB. 1989 Cytokeratin expression of the odontogenic epithelia in dental follicles and developmental cysts. J Oral Pathol Med 18: 63-67.
- LESCH CA, SQUIER CA, CRUCHLEY AT, WILLIAMS DM and SPEIGHT PM. 1989 The permeability of human oral mucosa and skin to water. J Dent Res 68: 1345-1349.
- CRUCHLEY AT, WILLIAMS DM, FARTHING PM, LESCH CA and SQUIER CA. 1989 Regional variation in Langerhans cell distribution and density in normal human oral mucosa determined using monoclonal antibodies against CD1, HLADR, HLADQ and HLADP. J Oral Pathol Med 18: 510-517.
- WILLIAMS DM. 1989 Vesiculo-bullous mucocutaneous disease - Pemphigus vulgaris. J Oral Pathol Med 18: 544-553.
- GAO ZR, MACKENZIE IC, RITTMAN BR, KORSZUN A-K, WILLIAMS DM and CRUCHLEY AT. 1988 Immunocytochemical examination of immune cells in periapical granulomata and odontogenic cysts. J Oral Path 17: 84-90.
- GAO ZR, MACKENZIE IC, WILLIAMS DM, CRUCHLEY AT, LEIGH IM and LANE B. 1988 Patterns of keratin expression in rests of malassez and periapical lesions. J Oral Path 17: 178-185.
- FLANAGAN AM, TINKLER SMB, HORTON MA, WILLIAMS DM and CHAMBERS TJ. 1988 The multinucleate cells in giant cell granulomas of the jaw are osteoclasts. Cancer 62: 1139-1145.
- WILLIAMS DM and DANIELS TE. 1987 The Present and Potential Role of Cell Markers in Oral Diagnosis. J Oral Path 16: 186-188.
- LU WHM and WILLIAMS DM. 1987 The effect of Phagocytosis of Candida albicans blastospores on plasma membrane alkaline phosphatase levels in rat polymorphonuclear leucocytes. J Histochem 19: 333-336.
- HOWELLS GL and WILLIAMS DM. 1987 The sequential demonstration of non-specific esterase reactivity, Ia antigen and Thy-1 antigen on murine epidermal sheets. Archs Oral Biol 32: 679-683.
- CRUCHLEY AT, SPEIGHT PM and WILLIAMS DM. 1987 Dual expression of cell surface antigens HLA-DR and CD1(T6) by Langerhans cells in human buccal mucosa and skin. Archs Oral Biol 32(11): 849-853.
- HOWELLS GL and WILLIAMS DM. 1987 Langerhans cell kinetics in mouse ear epidermis following adhesive tape stripping. Epithelia 1: 153-163.
- HOWELLS GL and WILLIAMS DM. 1987 Blood monocytes and the repopulation of murine epidermal Langerhans cells after adhesive tape-stripping. Epithelia 1: 225-230.
- FEARNE J, WILLIAMS DM and BROOK AH. 1986 Regional Odontodysplasia: A clinical and histological evaluation. J Int Assoc of Dent Child 17: 21-25.
- LEONARD JN, WRIGHT P, WILLIAMS DM GILKES JJH, HAFFENDEN GP, McMINN RMH and FRY L. 1984 The relationship between Linear IgA disease and benign mucous membrane pemphigoid. Br J Derm 110: 307-314.
- WILLIAMS DM, LEONARD JN, WRIGHT P, GILKES JJH, HAFFENDEN GP, McMINN RMH and FRY L. 1984 Benign Mucous Membrane (cicatricial) pemphigoid revisited: a clinical and immunological re-appraisal. Br Dent J 157: 313-316.
- WARNAKULASURIYA S, MARKWELL BD and WILLIAMS DM. 1984 Familial hyperparathyroidism associated with cementifying fibromas of the jaws in two siblings: Case report of a new entity. J Oral Surg 59: 269-274.
- HAYTER JP, WILLIAMS DM, CANNELL H and HOPE-STONE H. 1984 Malignant fibrous histiocytoma of the maxilla. J Maxillofac Surg 13: 167-171.
- LEONARD JN, WRIGHT P, HAFFENDEN GP, WILLIAMS DM, GRIFFITHS CEM and FRY L 1984 Skin diseases and the Dry Eye. Trans Ophth Soc UK 104: 467-476.
- WILLIAMS DM, GILLETT R and LINDER JE. 1982 An ultrastructural and enzyme cytological study of the response of the neutrophil series to a local inflammatory response in the rat. J Histochem Cytochem 30: 323-330.
- LU W and WILLIAMS. 1982 The effect of accelerated release of rat neutrophil polymorphonuclear leucocytes from bone marrow on cell accumulation in inflammatory exudates. Br J Exp Path 63: 438-442.
- DARAMOLA JE, AJAGBE HA, KOMOLAFE F and WILLIAMS DM. 1982 Cherubism: a variation of fibrous dysplasia of the jaws. Tropical Doctor 12: 125-129.
- TINKLER SMB, WILLIAMS DM, LINDER JE and JOHNSON NW. 1983 Kinetics of osteoclast formation. The significance of blood monocytes as osteoclast precursors during 1-alpha hydroxycholecalciferol-stimulated bone resorption in the mouse. J Anat 137: 335-340.
- SANDY JR and WILLIAMS DM. 1981 Anterior salivary gland inclusions in the mandible: Pathological entity or anatomical variant. Brit J Oral Surg 19: 138-144.
- TINKLER SMB, WILLIAMS DM and JOHNSON NW. 1981 Osteoclast formation in response to intra-peritoneal injection of 1-alpha hydroxycholecalciferol in mice. J Anat 133: 91-97.
- TINKLER SMB, LINDER JE, WILLIAMS DM and JOHNSON NW. 1981 Blood monocytes form one source of osteoclasts arising during 1-alpha-hydroxycalciferol-stimulated bone resorption in mice. J Anat 133: 389-396.
- LEONARD JN, FRY L, WRIGHT P, GILKES JJH, WILLIAMS DM, UNSWORTH DJ and HOLBOROW EJ. 1981 Gliadin in Bullous Pemphigoid. Lancet 2: 1111-1112.
- MISHLER JM and WILLIAMS DM. 1980 Alkaline phosphatase as a marker of maturity in human neutrophils. Studies in normals dosed with aetiocholanolone and prednisolone. J Clin Path 33: 555-561.
- LU W and WILLIAMS DM. 1980 Modulation of the inflammatory response in the Peritoneal cavity through stimulation of the Pleural cavity: an experimental study in the rat. Brit J Exp Path 61: 540-543.
- WILLIAMS DM, GILLETT R and LINDER JE. 1979 The ultrastructural localisation of alkaline phosphatase in developing neutrophil and eosinophil leucocytes in the bone marrow of the rat: a combined light microscope and electron microscope study using a unified osmiophilic method. J Histochem Cytochem 27: 655-675.
- WILLIAMS DM, LAMPERT IA and EVANS DJ. 1978 A Comparison, using quantitative enzyme histochemistry, between leucocyte alkaline phosphatase levels in the bone marrow and blood of the rat. Brit J Haematol 40: 119-124.
- WILLIAMS DM, LINDER JE, HILL MW and GILLETT R. 1978 Ultrastructural localisation of alkaline phosphatase in rat eosinophil leucocytes. J Histochem Cytochem 26: 862-864.
- GILLETT RS, HANCOCK PM, WILLIAMS DM and HILL MW. 1978 Differential leucocyte counts: a comparison of results using light and electron microscopy. J Microscopy 113: 205-213.
- LU W, SCRAGG MA and WILLIAMS DM. 1978 Reduction in inflammatory response by prior injection of a different agent in the same site: an experimental study in the rat. Brit J Exp Path 59: 609-613.
- WILLIAMS DM and JOHNSON NW. 1978 Early colonisation of a local inflammatory lesion and its relationship to changes in systemic leucocyte availability: a study of turpentine induced lesions in the rat. J Path 125: 139-149.
- WILLIAMS DM and JOHNSON NW. 1976 Alterations in peripheral blood leucocyte distribution in response to local inflammatory stimuli in the rat. J Path 118: 129-141.
- WILLIAMS DM. 1976 Peripheral blood leucocyte changes and the pattern of cell accumulation following local inflammatory stimuli in the rat. PhD Thesis. University of London.
- WILLIAMS DM. 1975 Leucocyte alkaline phosphatase as a marker of cell maturity: a quantitative cytochemical and autoradiographic study. Brit J Haematol 31: 371-379.
- WILLIAMS DM. 1972 The effect of a local inflammatory reaction on the distribution of leucocytes in the peripheral blood. MSc Report. University of London.
BOOKS PUBLISHED AND INVITED CHAPTERS
2018 - WILLIAMS DM. (2018) Common Risk Factors: The Link Between Oral and Systemic Disease. In The Oral-Systemic Health Connection, 2nd Edition. (Ed Glick M). Quintessence Publishing.
2015 - BENZIAN H and WILLIAMS DM (Editors -in -Chief): The Challenge of Oral Disease - a Call for Global Action. The Oral Health Atlas. 2nd ed. Geneva FDI World Dental Federation. ISBN: 978-2-9700934-8-0
2011 - WILLIAMS DM. Guest Editor: Global Oral Health Inequalities: the Research Agenda. Adv Dent Res 23(2): 197-267
2002 - WILLIAMS DM, LEIGH J, RAMIREZ-AMADOR V, KAONGA K, RUSSO D, SCHIODT M. Host-pathogen interactions and the development of oral lesions; basic science aspects. Oral Diseases 7 supplement 2: 120-125
CHALLACOMBE SJ, COOGAN MM & WILLIAMS DM. Overview of the Fourth International Workshop on the oral manifestations of HIV infection. Oral Diseases 7 supplement 2: 9-14
In Recent Advances in Oral AIDS Research. Eds Challacombe SJ, Sweet S and Williams DM. Oral Diseases: 3 supplement 1.
1996 - WILLIAMS DM. Mucocutaneous conditions affecting the mouth. In Current Topics in Pathology (1996) pp 1-28. Ed G Seifert. Springer Verlag, Heidelberg
1995 - WILLIAMS DM. Hairy Leukoplakia: Functional and behavioural implications of altered mucosal differentation. In: Oral Manifestations of HIV Infection. (1995) pp 192-199. Eds JS Greenpan and D Greenspan Quintessence Publishing, Chicago .
1994 - WILLIAMS DM, CRUCHLEY AT. Structural aspects of Aging in the Oral Mucosa. In The Effect of Aging in Oral Mucosa and Skin (1994) pp 65-74. Eds CA Squier and MW Hill, Published by CRC Press, Boca Raton.
SQUIER CA, WERTZ PW, WILLIAMS DM, CRUCHLEY. Permeability of oral mucosa and skin with age. InThe Effect of Aging in Oral Mucosa and Skin (1994) pp 91-98. Eds CA Squier and MW Hill, Published by CRC Press, Boca Raton.
1993 - WILLIAMS DM Dermatology, Autoimmune Disease and the Periodontium. In Diseases of the Periodontium, Eds HN Newman, TD Rees, DF Kinane. Published by Medical Science Research, St. Albans.
1992 - WILLIAMS DM, HUGHES FJ, ODELL EW and FARTHING PM.The Pathology of Periodontal Disease: Oxford University Press 1992
WILLIAMS DM Dental Caries and Periodontal Disease in Oxford Textbook of Pathology, Eds McGhee J, Wright N, Isaacson P. Oxford University Press.
NEWMAN HN and WILLIAMS DM (Eds) Inflammation and immunology in Chronic Inflammatory Periodontal Disease. Published by Science Reviews Ltd.
1987 - WILLIAMS DM Immuno-pathological mechanisms in mucosal disease: Vesicular and bullous disorders in Oral Mucosal Diseases: Biology, Etiology and Therapy. Proceedings of the Second Dows Symposium, Eds Mackenzie IC, Squier CA and Dabelsteen E. Published by Laegeforeningens Forlag, Copenhagen, pp 70-77.
1986 - WILLIAMS DM and WRAY D. Immunologically mediated mucocutaneous diseases and diseases of uncertain aetiology in Immunology of Oral Diseases Ed Ivanyi L. Medical and Technical Press Limited, pp 125-148.