If you're unsure about travel arrangements in light of coronavirus or want to claim insurance for a cancelled trip, we've provided guidance below.

Students and staff should follow government and Foreign & Commonwealth Office advice when planning international travel.

Students on overseas exchange programmes

The Global Opportunities Office and your Queen Mary School have sent out guidance to all students participating in programmes overseas.

If you have any questions, please contact or your home school.

Modern Languages students from the School of Languages, Linguistics and Film should contact

International field trips

To minimise risks to students and staff, we are cancelling all international field trips for undergraduates scheduled between now and 1 July 2020.

We are keeping all other planned field trips under review. If you are directly affected by this decision, please contact your School or Institute directly.

Visa or immigration status

The Home Office has published updated visa guidance to provide greater certainty for international higher education students and staff in the UK currently unable to return home due to COVID-19.

Queen Mary's Advice and Counselling Service have published information for current Queen Mary students with Tier 4 immigration permission.

If you have concerns about your own immigration status in the UK, or that of a family member, please contact the Advice and Counselling Service for confidential advice.

If you are a member of staff and have concerns about your immigration status due to coronavirus, please contact

Travel insurance for cancelled trips

If an event is going ahead but the traveller decides not to travel, the insurers will not accept a travel insurance claim as this is considered 'disinclination to travel’. However, if the host cancels the trip, you may be able to claim.

Conferences and University-related trips

If the host cancels the trip but the Foreign & Commonwealth Office travel advice is that it is safe to travel, insurers will provide cover as the situation is beyond the control of the traveller or the University.

Trips to high-risk areas

In the first instance, check with the airline or travel management company (Key Travel) for any refunds. If that fails, we can claim through RSA Travel Insurance.

Placements and study programmes

If you are on an overseas placement or study programme which is cancelled by the host, you can come home and claim the cost of rearranging your flights.

However, if Queen Mary has decided to cancel the trip and not the host, we are unfortunately unable to claim for flights or hotels through the insurers as this is considered 'disinclination to travel’.

Please check with the travel management company (Key Travel) whether any costs can be reimbursed.

How to make a travel insurance claim

You should notify the insurer (RSA) directly of any travel insurance claims by emailing them at

Send the following as attachments to your email:

  • a completed travel insurance claim form
  • a letter or email from the host organisation of cancellation of event due to coronavirus
  • evidence of flight invoice
  • hotel invoice
  • travel insurance cover note. 

Visit the Travel Insurance page for more details and to download a travel insurance claim form.

For any travel booked outside of the travel management company (Key Travel), a £50 excess will be deducted.

Due to the high number of claims, the process can take up to six to eight weeks.