Mr Gadi Oron, Solicitor (England & Wales), Advocate (Israel), LLB, LLM
Room Number: Lincoln's Inn Fields
Gadi Oron is the Director General of CISAC, the International Confederation of Authors and Composers Societies. He specialises in international copyright and entertainment law, related e-commerce matters and IP policy advocacy. Mr Oron has worked extensively with different sectors of the creative industries and, in particular, the music industry. He held senior positions in industry and in private practice, and represented rightsholders in front of governments, legislators and international bodies on a range of intellectual property matters, domestic copyright laws and international treaties.
A lawyer by training, Mr Oron is qualified to practice in England & Wales (as a solicitor) and in Israel (as an advocate). He is listed in the Legal 500 “GC Powerlist” as one of the leading and most influential in-house lawyers in France.
Mr Oron has published numerous articles and contributed chapters to leading books on copyright and intellectual property. He is a frequent speaker at events and conferences on copyright and the creative industries and is Visiting Professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches on copyright and the creative industries to Master of Laws students.
Queen Mary University of London
2010 - Present
Teaching on Intellectual Property and the Creative Industries (LLM course)
University of Buckingham
2008 - 2010
Lectured on Intellectual Property and the Creative Industries (LLM course)
School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
2005 - 2006
Lectured on Comparative Copyright Law in the Middle East (LLM course)
Mr Oron's research interests include international copyright law, collective management of rights, international treaties and policy making in the cultural sector.
- Specialist Editor, “Copinger and Skone James on Copyright” (Sweet & Maxwell, London, 17th Edition 2016).
- Oron, Gadi, ‘Territoriality, Jurisdiction and Choice of Law’ in “Moral Rights” (K. Garnett, G. Davies editors, Sweet & Maxwell, London 2010)
- Oron, Gadi, ‘Israel’ in “Moral Rights” (K. Garnett, G. Davies editors, Sweet & Maxwell, London 2010).
- Oron, Gadi, “Creative Collecting”, Music Week, February 27, 2015
- Oron, Gadi, “Reflections on the World Creators Summit”, Music & Copyright, Issue 484, June 26, 2013. Oron, Gadi (with Dr. M. F. Makeen), “The Moral Right of Paternity in the Copyright Laws of Egypt and Israel” 33(1) European Intellectual Property Review (EIPR)  26-34
- Oron, Gadi, “Reappraising Originality under Israeli Copyright Law” 41(6) International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law (IIC)  708-717
- Oron, Gadi, “Ruling boosts IP Owners in Internet Cases”, 187 Managing Intellectual Property  42-43
- Oron, Gadi, (with Shemtov, Noam) “Getting in Shape (3-D marks)”, 207 Trademark World  20-22
- Oron, Gadi, “Acts of Communication: the ECJ case of Hotel Rafael”, 168 Copyright World  12-13
- Oron, Gadi, “Complete Replacement: Legislative and Case Law Review”, 166 Copyright World  12-14
- Oron, Gadi “Israeli Inroads: Parallel Importation into Israel”, 165 Copyright World  15-17.