22 September 2014
Time: 6:00 - 8:00pm
Venue: Edwards Wildman Offices, Dashwood, 69 Old Broad Street, London, EC2M 1QS
In celebration of Social Media Week and in partnership with Edwards Wildman, qLegal hosts a discussion on 'Social Media: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly'.
'The Good': Opportunities through Social Media
- Social media, as opposed to the early 'read only' internet, provides the ability to start a conversation with other
- Sharing rather than owning (but see below for possible pitfalls)
- Marketing and opportunity for research into popular trends
- Hashtag activism
'The Bad': Potential Pitfalls
- Social Media 'fails'
- Responsibility for content if you own website
- Ownership of content if you are a user
- Right to be forgotten – how could this impact social media?
'The Ugly': Criminal activity
- Social media ripe for abuse – anonymous, quick and easy, access to wide variety of opinions worldwide, difficult to trace and prosecute
- Trolling/cyber bullying/freedom of speech – where is the line?
- Recent prosecutions for Tweets
- Adequacy of existing legislation? House of Lords discussion regarding revenge porn – possible new route for prosecution?
A drinks reception will follow this event
Social Media Week
qLegal is hosting a number of free events during Social Media Week in conjunction with its partners Edwards Wildman and Morrison & Foerster. Social Media Week is a leading media platform and worldwide event with local presence and global reach across five continents, including Europe, North America, South America, Africa and Asia.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photography, video and audio recording
Please note that qLegal events may be photographed or video and audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by Queen Mary University of London. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email email@example.com in advance of the event that you are attending.