11 December 2014
Time: 8:30am - 7:15pm
Venue: Goodenough College, Large Common Room, Mecklenburgh Square, London WC1N 2AB
The topics to be discussed at the conference include:
- The role of experts and how to effectively manage them in construction arbitration disputes
- Disclosure and effect management of documents in construction arbitration disputes
- Third-Party Funding in construction disputes
- Measuring the economic impact of dispute resolution in construction projects, including risk management, the effect of dispute boards on the bid price and managing costs of dispute boards
Download the Conference Programme [PDF]
08.30 – 09.00 Registration and Coffee
09.00 – 09.15 Opening Speeches
09.15 – 10.00 Keynote speech: The Hon. Mr. Justice Ramsey
10.00 – 11.30 Session 1: Experts in Construction Arbitration Disputes
Dr. Franco Mastrandrea, Hill International
Peter Rees QC, Thirty Nine Essex Street
Professor Phillip Capper, White & Case LLP
Effective management of experts
Examination and cross-examination of experts
11.30 – 12.00 Coffee and Networking Break
12.00 – 13.30 Session 2: Documents in Construction Arbitration Disputes
Dr. Michael Schneider, Lalive
John Marrin QC, Keating Chambers
Wendy Miles, Boies Schiller & Flexner LLP
Elliott Geisinger, Schellenberg Wittmer
Do we have a common understanding of disclosure?
IBA Rules and document disclosure in construction arbitration
Effective management of documents from tribunal’s perspective
Effective deployment of documents from counsel’s perspective
13.30 – 14.45 Lunch
14.45 – 16.15 Session 3: Third Party Funding in Construction Disputes
Melanie Willems, Andrews Kurth LLP
Susan Dunn, Harbour Litigation Funding Ltd.
Mick Smith, Calunius Capital LLP
Professor Stavros Brekoulakis, School of International Arbitration, Queen Mary University of London
Has construction arbitration caught up with TPF?
What is different in TPF in construction disputes?
How do Third Party Funders assess construction disputes?
16.15 – 16.45 Tea Break
16.45 – 18.15 Session 4: Economic Impact of Dispute Resolution in Construction Projects
Howard Shiplee, Construction Director for the London Olympics
Ian Radford, International Bechtel Co. Ltd.
David Brynmor Thomas, Thirty Nine Essex St
Marie Berard, Clifford Chance
- Chair: Professor Doug Jones AO, Clayton Utz
The effect of Dispute Boards on the Bid Price
Minimising Costs of Dispute Boards
18.15 – 18.30 Concluding Remarks
18.30 – 19.15 Drinks Reception
The programme is accredited for 6 CPD Points with the Bar Standards Board (BSB).
How to Book
Book online via the Queen Mary e-shop.
- Individual registration - £180
- Individual registration, members of the Society of Construction Arbitrators, the Society of Construction Law, or the King's College Construction Law Association - £145
- Academic, NGO, Barrister or Government Department registration - £130
- Academic or Barrister registration, members of the Society of Construction Arbitrators, the Society of Construction Law, or the King's College Construction Law Association - £105
- Alumni registration - £110
- Student registration (non-QMUL) - £70
- QMUL student registration - £50
Thirty Nine Essex Street
Transnational Dispute Management (TDM)
Global Arbitration Review (GAR)
Global Legal Group
Oxford University Press
Delegates of the "Opportunities and Challenges in Construction Arbitration" conference on 11 December 2014 are eligible for 20% discount on construction books from Oxford University Press, including the upcoming third edition of Coulson on Construction Adjudication. Discount valid until 31 March 2015 on orders on the OUP website, using discount code ACLAW20: http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/category/academic/law/construction.do
For more information, please contact the CCLS Events Team on email@example.com.
Photography, video and audio recording
Please note that CCLS events may be photographed or video and audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by Queen Mary University of London. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email the CCLS Events Team on firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of the event that you are attending.