31 January 2014
Time: 8:00am - 7:30pm
Venue: Lecture Theatre, Rotblat Building, Queen Mary University of London, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ
This is the ninth year that the anniversary of the Avoir Fiscal judgment has been celebrated with an EU Tax Conference. This event is kindly and proudly supported by Key Haven Publications - publishers of EC Tax Journal, Deloitte (UK) LLP and Bloomberg BNA.
8:30-8:50 - Registration and Coffee
Timothy Lyons QC
- 8:50-9:00 - Chairman, Professor Gerard Meussen, Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands: ‘Chairman’s Welcoming Remarks’ and ‘Horizontal Discrimination; the Sopora-Case (C-512/13)’
- 9:35-10:10 - Peter Cussons, European Tax Partner, PWC, London: ‘Patent / IP boxes and Their Status under EU law: the Freedoms, Code of Conduct and Competition Law, and BEPS’
- 10:10-10:45 - Tom Scott, Partner, McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP: ‘BEPS Responses within the EU—Overlaps and Future Changes’
- 10:45-11:00 - Coffee Break
11:00-11:35 - Kit Dickson, Financial Services Tax Partner, Deloitte LLP, UK: ‘BT Pension Scheme v HMRC, Prudential Assurance Company v. HMRC: learning from the Courts in 2013’
Professor Philip Baker QC
- 11:35-12:10 - Paul Radcliffe, Director, EMEIA Financial Services, Ernst &Young LLP UK: ‘Automatic Exchange of Information’
- 12:10-13:00 - Lunch break
13:10-13:35 - Mantas Juozaitis, Motieka & Audzevicius: ‘Application of Anti-tax Avoidance Measures in Lithuanian Case-Law’
Dr Tina Tukic, European Commission
- 13:35-13:45 - Bloomberg BNA presentation
- 13:45-14:20 - Grahame Turner, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, University of London, PhD Candidate, School of Advanced Study, University of London: ‘The Incoherence of the ECJ judgments Concerned with Taxes on Company Distributions’
14:20-14:55 - Dr Harm van den Broek, Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands: ‘Exit Taxation in Europe Two Years After National Grid Indus’
Dr Tamas Kulcsar, IBFD
- 14:55-15:10 - Coffee break
- 15:10-15:45 - Timothy Lyons QC, 39 Essex Street: ‘Double Taxation, Tax Treaties, EU law and Institutions’
15:45-16:20 - Professor Dr Hans van den Hurk, Tax Partner, Deloitte, The Netherlands, & Maastricht University: ‘Will the Proposed Changes of the PSD Stand a Chance?’
- 16:20-16:55 - Professor Philip Baker QC, Gray’s Inn Tax Chambers: ‘Some EU Tax Law Comments’
- 16:55-17:05 - Chartered Institute of Taxation presentation: ‘ADIT (Advanced Diploma in International Taxation)’
- 17:05-17:40 - Dr Katerina Perrou, Tax Lawyer, K&K Perrou Law Firm, University of Athens, Greece: ‘Deductibility of Interest Expenses: the Itelcar Case’
- 17:40-18:15 - Philip Laroma Jezzi, University of Florence, Italy: ‘The 3M-Italia Case: Why the Court of Cassation Was Wrong and the ECJ was right’
- 18:15-18:50 - Dr Tom O’Shea, Queen Mary University of London: ‘Legal Certainty and Taxation in the EU’
- 18:50 - Chairman’s Closing Remarks
View programme as a PDF [482kb]
9th Annual Avoir Fiscal Anniversary EU Tax Conference Organising Committee
Please refer to the map for directions to the venue.
This event is accredited for 8.5 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points.
How to Book
To register, please visit the Queen Mary e-shop page.
- Standard registration - £100.00
- Discounted fee for delegates registered for the
International Tax Guest Lecture on 30 January - £85.00
- ADIT Candidates - £50.00
- Queen Mary students / HMRC - £30.00
We offer a discount of 10% for CIOT (Chartered Institute of Taxation) members.
Ms Katherine Zaim email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photography, video and audio recordings
Please note that CCLS events may be photographed or video and audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by Queen Mary University of London. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email CCLS Events Manager, Katherine Zaim, on email@example.com in advance of the event that you are attending.