Visiting Research Student
The Visiting Research Student Scheme is for doctoral research students who are pursuing studies at another institution but wish to undertake research at The School of Law as part of their doctoral work. The minimum period of registration is two months and the maximum is one year.
Please allow up to four weeks for application to be processed, where possible you should give at least three months’ notice prior to application. All visiting students can only enrol on the 1st of the month.
We also welcome a number of academics on our Visiting Scholars programme.
|Fees for Visiting Research Students (M1ER / M1ER) 2018-19|
|Duration of Visit||Fee in £|
|Up to one month||315|
|Up to two months||630|
|Full academic year (September to September)||3,750|
Fee waiver requests will be considered in exceptional circumstances.
How to apply
To apply, email email@example.com to request an application form. In addition to the application form, you will be asked to submit the following documents:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate transcripts and certificates
- If your degree was from an overseas institution, you should supply a transcript of your marks for each year of your studies and a copy of your degree certificate together with a certified translation if the document is not in English. Please note that original documentation will be required before you enrol. International applicants are also advised to include high school transcripts
- Two academic references
- Cover letter
- Detailed research proposal
- English language qualifications
- Confirmation of student status letter from your current institution, to include dates of registration
You should clearly indicate your reasons for wishing to undertake research within the School of Law.
The deadlines for 2019/20 are:.
|Application deadline||Visit start date|
|2 October 2019||January 2020|
|8 January 2020||April 2020|
|2 April 2020||July 2020|
|2 July 2020||September 2020|
Visiting Research Students are registered by the college as Associate Students. You will have access to the same range of facilities as standard PhD students including:
- School of Law resources and activities, including attendance at School of law programmes and research seminars
- QMUL library (Mile End)
- IALS library (Russell Square)
- IP Archive (IALS)
- Electronic resources
- Computer facilities, including wireless
- Hot-desk space (at Mile End or Lincoln's Inn Fields)
Visiting Research Students are not entitled to apply for funding for travel grants and conferences or studentships of any kind.