The Access Project: Volunteer Tutors
A great role for those who want to give back to the community and gain teaching experience, but who don’t have much time to spare.
How will this help you progress your career journey?
For those exploring their career options, volunteering is a great way to get a taste for different types of role and industries. Volunteering is also a great way to acquire experience, as it allows you to develop skills and experiences that you can use on future applications.
Is this you?
- I believe brains, not background, should decide which university you go to
- I want to develop a range of CV-enhancing skills
- I can spare an hour a week
Then why not become a volunteer with The Access Project and tutor a bright young person from a disadvantaged background? As a volunteer tutor, you’ll support a 14 to 16-year-old to help them fulfill their potential at GCSE.
You can make a real difference - a young person on this programme is twice as likely to go to a top university than a student from a similar background who is not receiving additional support.
At the same time you’ll be developing valuable transferable skills in communication, teaching and planning, gaining experience for your CV and getting real job satisfaction. At the end of the academic year, you’ll receive a certificate to evidence the experience you’ve gained.
- One 1-hour tutorial per week during school term-time for one academic year (occasional holidays and illness excluded)
- At least 30 minutes preparation time per week ahead of tutorials
- Reply to an automated email on a Friday afternoon to indicate if a tutorial has taken place
- Attend one Tutor Training and Assessment session (2.5 hours)
- Complete and pass an online Child Safeguarding training course (approx 1 hour)
- Current Queen Mary student – undergraduate or postgraduate, including PhD
- Friendly and welcoming with good communication and explaining skills
- Patience and understanding
- Ability to understand and follow Child Safeguarding policies and procedures
To apply, visit their website and fill out the application form.
For more information or any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will close on 10th October, or earlier if all volunteer places are filled.