Lecturer in Finance
Dr Tara Velez is a Lecturer in Finance at Queen Mary, University of London, School of Business and Management. Before joining Queen Mary, she was Programme Director of the MSc Finance (International Finance) programme at Westminster Business School. She has experience with several London hedge funds and is also an experienced entrepreneur with extensive practical knowledge of investing in alternative investments and risk management across asset classes. Tara holds a PhD and MSc in Mathematical Finance from the University of London.
- BUS245 Introduction to Finance
- BUS149 Foundations of Finance
- BUS150 Introduction to Business Studies
Dr Velez’s research interests focus on the latest developments in the fields of data science and technology applied to the financial industry. Other interests include factor investing, index creation and analysing the financial performance of real (physical) assets across various sectors, including commodities, art and real estate. Her work has been published in prestigious international journals, including the Journal of Alternative Investments and Journal of Wealth Management.
- “Expanding the Space of Real Estate Investments to Data Centers and Shopping Complexes” (2018), Real Estate Finance, 35(1), pp.223-239 (with H.Geman)
- “Ownership Yield and Prime Real Estate in Alpha Cities” (2016), Journal of Wealth Management, 19(3), pp. 116-130 (with H.Geman)
- “On Rarity Premium and Ownership Yield in Art” (2015). Journal of Alternative Investments, 18(1), pp. 8-21 (with H.Geman)
- Acknowledged in “Agricultural Finance: From Crops to Land, Water and Infrastructure” (2015), Wiley Finance, by H. Geman