Dr Mustafa B. Ozturk
Senior Lecturer in Management; Programme Director for BSc Business Management (Year 1)
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 2704Room Number: Room 4.20, Francis Bancroft Building, Mile End CampusOffice Hours: Thursday, 10am-12pm
Student drop-in and feedback hours
Co-Director of BSc Business Management (year 1)
Interim IFP Coordinator
Mustafa Bilgehan Ozturk is Senior Lecturer in Management in the School of Business and Management.
Dr Ozturk operates in the broad area of human resource management and organisational behaviour, with a primary specialisation in workplace equality, diversity and inclusion. His research aims to delineate privileges and disadvantages associated with gender, gender identity, sexual orientation as well as race and ethnicity in organisations.
Originally from Turkey, Dr. Ozturk spent ten years in the US, where he attained a BA in Economics and Politics from New York University, and subsequently an MA and a PhD from the University of Chicago, having studied the political economy of human capital investment. Dr. Ozturk started his academic career in the UK at Middlesex University Business School before moving to the School of Business and Management at Queen Mary University of London.
BUS133: Organisation Studies
Dr Ozturk’s research is focused on equality, diversity and inclusion in organisations. In particular, he investigates work lives of minorities in organisations by mapping the workplace disadvantages which accrue due to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation as well as race and ethnicity, and offering remedies to ensure organizations are truly equal places for all. Dr Ozturk’s geographic foci of interest include both developed and developing country settings, with recent research situated in a range of contexts such as Turkey, China, and the United Kingdom. His research utilises a rich and varied theoretical and methodological oeuvre in line with the demands of the divergent research questions he tackles within his field.
Dr Ozturk is affiliated with the Centre for Research in Equality and Diversity.
Selected journal articles
- Ozturk, M.B. (In press). Guest editorial: Re-orienting diversity and inclusion: pursuing the political, historical, relational, ethical, and technological dimensions of theory and practice. Management Decision.
- Ozturk, M.B. & Berber, A. (2020). Racialised professionals’ experiences of selective incivility in organisations: a multi-level analysis of subtle racism. Human Relations.
- Ozturk, M. B., Rumens, N., Tatli, A. (2020). Age, sexuality, and hegemonic masculinity: Exploring older gay men’s masculinity practices at work. Gender, Work, and Organisation. 27(6): 1253-1268.
- Tatli, A., Ozturk, M. B., & Woo, H. S. (2017). Individualization and marketization of responsibility for gender equality: The case of female managers in China. Human Resource Management, 56(3), 407-430.
- Ozturk, M. B. & Tatli, A. (2016). Gender identity inclusion in the workplace: broadening diversity management research and practice through the case of transgender employees in the UK. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 27(8): 781-802.
- Ozturk, M. B. & Rumens, N. (2014). Gay male academics in UK business and management schools: negotiating and challenging heteronormativities in academic work life. British Journal of Management, 25 (3): 503-517.
- Ozturk, M. B. (2011). Sexual orientation discrimination: Exploring the experiences of lesbian, gay and bisexual employees in Turkey. Human Relations, 64 (8): 1099-1118.
Selected book chapters
- Ozturk, M. B. & Tatli, A. (2018). Sexuality, gender identity and career courses. In Broadbridge, A. & Fielden, S. (eds). The Impact of Diversity on Career Development. Edward Elgar.
- Ozturk, M. B. (2017). When freedoms collide: Competing claims for religious rights and sexual orientation equality at the workplace and beyond. In Chanlat, J.F and Ozbilgin, M. (eds.) Management and Diversity: Main Issues and Challenges, London: Emerald (Translated into 3 languages).
- Ozturk, M. B., Tatli, A. & Ozbilgin, M. (2015). Global diversity management: breaking the local impasse. In Bendl, R., Bleijenbergh, I., Henttonen, E. & Mills, A. (eds.). Oxford Handbook of Diversity in Organisations. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Ozturk, M. B. & Rumens, N. (2015). Sexual minorities in the workplace. In Syed, J. & Ozbilgin, M. (eds.) Managing Diversity and Inclusion: An International Perspective, London: Sage.
- Ozturk, M. B. & Ozbilgin, M. (2014). From cradle to grave: The lifecycle of compulsory heterosexuality across the institutions of patriarchy in Turkey. In Colgan, F. and Rumens, N. (eds.) Sexual Orientation at Work: Contemporary Issues and Perspective, London: Routledge
Dr Ozturk welcomes prospective doctoral students with a research interest in:
Equality, diversity and inclusion at work
Gender, gender identity, sexuality, and race and ethnicity in organisational life
Current Doctoral Students
- Sabeen Ahmed
- Irawati Parnerkar
- Manesha Peiris
- Zinabu Shaibu
- Cécilia Brundu
- Ranjita Neogi