Dr Mustafa B. Ozturk
Senior Lecturer in Management
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44(0)20 7882 2704Room Number: Room 4.20, Bancroft Building, Mile End campus
Student drop-in and feedback hours
Director of Undergraduate Recruitment and Admissions
Mustafa Bilgehan Ozturk is Senior Lecturer in Management in the School of Business and Management. He also holds key school-wide leadership roles such as the Director of Undergraduate Recruitment and Admissions and the Academic Co-Chair of the Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion working group in the school.
Dr Ozturk specialises in the area of workplace equality, diversity and inclusion, with particular interests in gender, gender identity, and sexual orientation as well as race and ethnicity in organisational life.
Originally from Turkey, he spent ten years in the US, first in pursuit of a BA from New York University, where he double-majored in Economics and Politics, and subsequently for an MA and a PhD from the University of Chicago, where he studied the political economy of human capital investment. Dr. Ozturk started his academic career in the UK at Middlesex University Business School before moving to the School of Business and Management at Queen Mary University of London.
- Organisational Behaviour (BUS127)
- Organisation Studies (BUS133)
Dr Ozturk’s research is focused on equality, diversity and inclusion in organisations. In particular, he investigates workplace disadvantages which accrue due to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation as well as race and ethnicity status. Dr Ozturk’s geographic foci of interest include both developed and developing country settings, with recent research situated in the contexts of Turkey, China, the United Kingdom, and the United States. His research utilises a rich and varied theoretical oeuvre depending on the divergent research questions posed within his field of study.
Dr Ozturk is affiliated with the Centre for Research in Equality and Diversity.
- Healy, G., Tatli, A., Ipek, G., Ozturk, M. B., Seierstad, C., Wright, T. (2018). In the steps of Joan Acker: a journey in researching inequality regimes and intersectional inequalities. Gender, Work, and Organization. doi.org/10.1111/gwao.12252.
- Tatli, A., Ozturk, M. B. & Woo, H. S. (2017). Individualization and marketization of responsibility for gender equality: the case of women managers in China. Human Resource Management, 56(3): 407-430.
- Ozturk, M. B. & Tatli, A. (2016). Gender identity inclusion in the workplace: broadening diversity management research and practice through the case of transgender employees in the UK. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 27(8): 781-802.
- Tatli, A., Nicolopolou, K., Karatas-Ozkan, M., Ozbilgin, M. & Ozturk, M. B. (2015). Questioning impact: Interconnection between extra-organisational resources and agency of equality and diversity officers. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 26 (9): 1243-1258.
- Ozturk, M. B. & Rumens, N. (2014). Gay male academics in UK business and management schools: negotiating and challenging heteronormativities in academic work life. British Journal of Management, 25 (3): 503-517.
- Ozturk, M. B. (2011). Sexual orientation discrimination: Exploring the experiences of lesbian, gay and bisexual employees in Turkey. Human Relations, 64 (8): 1099-1118.
- Tatli, A. & Ozturk, M. B. (2018). Sexuality, gender identity and career courses. In Broadbridge, A. & Fielden, S. (eds). The Impact of Diversity on Career Development. Edward Elgar.
- Tatli, A., Ozturk, M. B., & Aldossari, M. (2018). Equal opportunity and workforce diversity in Asia. In F. L. Cooke & S. Kim (eds.) Routledge Handbook of HRM in Asia. Routledge.
- Ozturk, M. B. (2017). When freedoms collide: Competing claims for religious rights and sexual orientation equality at the workplace and beyond. In Chanlat, J.F and Ozbilgin, M. (eds.) Management and Diversity: Main Issues and Challenges, London: Emerald (translated in 3 languages).
- Ozturk, M. B., Tatli, A. & Ozbilgin, M. (2015). Global diversity management: breaking the local impasse. In Bendl, R., Bleijenbergh, I., Henttonen, E. & Mills, A. (eds.). Oxford Handbook of Diversity in Organisations. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Ozturk, M. B. & Rumens, N. (2015). Sexual minorities in the workplace. In Syed, J. & Ozbilgin, M. (eds.) Managing Diversity and Inclusion: An International Perspective, London: Sage.
- Groutsis, D., Ng, E. & Ozturk, M. B. (2014). Cross-cultural management and managing cultural diversity – insights into talent retention and post-settlement adjustment. In Ozbilgin, M., Groutsis, D. & Harvey, W. (eds.) International Human Resource Management. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Forson, C., Ozbilgin, M., Ozturk, M.B. & Tatli, A. (2014). Multi-level approaches to entrepreneurship and small business research – transcending dichotomies with Bourdieu. In Chell, E. & Karakas-Ozkan, M. (eds.) Handbook of Research on Small Business and Entrepreneurship. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Press.
- Ozturk, M. B. & Ozbilgin, M. (2014). From cradle to grave: The lifecycle of compulsory heterosexuality across the institutions of patriarchy in Turkey. In Colgan, F. and Rumens, N. (eds.) Sexual Orientation at Work: Contemporary Issues and Perspective, London: Routledge
Dr Ozturk welcomes prospective doctoral students with a research interest in:
Equality, diversity and inclusion at work
Gender, gender identity, sexuality, and race and ethnicity in organisational life
Current Doctoral Students
- Sabeen Ahmed
- Sarah Marks
- Irawati Parnerkar
- Manesha Peiris
- Zinabu Shaibu
- Ranjita Neogi