Lecturer in Responsible Leadership
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44(0)20 7882 6743Room Number: Room 2.34, Bancroft Building, Mile End Campus
Office hours: by appointment
Szilvia Mosonyi is a Lecturer in Responsible Leadership at Queen Mary University of London, School of Business and Management. Her research revolves around organization theory, professions, and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
Szilvia completed her PhD at Cass Business School, City, University of London, where she is still a member of the Centre for Professional Service Firms and ETHOS, the Centre for Responsible Enterprise at Cass Business School. She holds an MRes from Cass Business School, an MA in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) from Nottingham University Business School (ICCSR), an MA in Sociology from the Eotvos Lorand University of Science in Hungary.
Prior to starting her doctoral studies, Szilvia spent 7 years as a CSR consultant at Deloitte in London, where she led and delivered advisory and assurance engagements to leading multinational companies across a variety of industries. This experience informs her teaching of CSR, ethics, and responsible leadership.
Szilvia is committed to impactful research and she actively participates in research projects directed towards practitioners. Such projects included a research report on culture change in the banking sector launched in the UK Parliament, and a study of the effectiveness of responsible investment for the United Nations backed Principles of Responsible Investment (PRI). In September 2016, Szilvia launched her research report on consultant-client relationships in the field of CSR as part of a successful event that welcomed over 70 practitioners at Cass Business School. Currently, she is managing a research project on the institutional history of PRI.
- Responsible Leadership (BUS243)
In her research, Szilvia investigates macro and micro level practices in the field of corporate social responsibility (CSR). Through this setting, she aims to answer questions around the processes of contemporary professionalization and relational aspects of identity work in tensional occupations. Principal in her investigation is professional service firms and client-consultant relationships. Szilvia’s research approach is qualitative.
- Professions / professionalization and corporate social responsibility: At macro level, Szilvia explores how CSR practitioners (in-house managers and consultants) construct a mandate for their field. She is interested in occupational change and wishes to understand the wider net of stakeholders, in which fledgling occupations are embedded and who play a critical role in their emergence. She looks to uncover ways in which traditional models of professionalization have changed in recent years.
- Identity work and paradox: At micro level, Szilvia studies tensions CSR consultants face in their everyday work using a paradox theory lens. In particular, she investigates individual responses to these contradictions
- Management consulting: The third aspect of Szilvia’s research is focused on the academic engagement and framing of the field of management consulting.
- Mosonyi, S., Empson, L. & Gond, J-P. (forthcoming) Management consulting: Towards an integrative framework of knowledge, identity, and power. International Journal of Management Reviews.
- Brès, L., Mosonyi, S., Gond, J.-P., Muzio, D., Mitra, R., Werr, A., & Wickert, C. (2019). Rethinking professionalization: A generative dialogue on CSR practitioners. Journal of Professions and Organization, 6(2), 1–19. https://doi.org/10.1093/jpo/joz009
- Gond, J.-.P., Mena, S. and Mosonyi, S. (2017). Meta-Reviewing the Business and Society Field through Sociological Paradigms: Towards Pluralistic Re-Presentations of Corporate Social Responsibility. Proceedings of the International Association for Business and Society.
- Gond, J-P., O'Sullivan, N., Slager, R., Homanen, M., Viehs, M., Mosonyi, S. (2018) How ESG Engagement Creates Value for Investors and Companies. Cass Business School and PRI Research Report.
- Mosonyi, S. (2016). United We Stand, Divided We Fall: Building Successful Relationships in Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability. Cass Business School Research Report. Presented at Cass Business School (London, September 2016) and at the Humboldt University during the 7th International Conference on Corporate Sustainability and Responsibility (Berlin, September 2016).
- Spicer, A., Lindley, D., Gond, J-P., Mosonyi, S., Jaser, Z., Marti, E. & Petersen, H. (2016). Cultural Change in the FCA, PRA & Bank of England: Practising What They Preach? New City Agenda and Cass Business School Research Report. Presented in the House of Commons (London, October 2016).
- Spicer, A., Gond, J-P., Patel, K., Lindley, D., Fleming, P., Mosonyi, S., Benoit, C. & Parker, S. (2014). A Report on the Culture of British Retail Banking. New City Agenda and Cass Business School Research Report. Presented in the House of Commons (London, November 2014).
- Mosonyi, S., Gond, J.-P. & Empson, L. Shooting for the stars: Co-constructing a professional mandate for corporate social responsibility. 76th Annual Meeting of The Academy of Management. (August 2018, Chicago, USA) / 33rd Conference of the European Group for Organization Studies (July 2017, Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Mosonyi, S., Gond, J.-P. & Empson, L. Relational responses to paradoxical tensions in CSR consultants’ identity work. 77th Annual Meeting of The Academy of Management. (August 2019, Boston, USA) / 34th European Group for Organization Studies Colloquium (July 2018, Tallinn, Estonia) / Stockholm School of Economics / SAID Business School Conference on Professional Service Firms. (July 2017, Stockholm, Sweden).
- Mosonyi, S. (2016) United we stand, divided we fall: Relationships between corporate responsibility and sustainability professionals. 7th International Conference on Corporate Sustainability and Responsibility. (September 2016, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany)
- Mosonyi, S., Gond, J-P., Empson, L. (2016) Knowledge, identity and power: Taking stock of management consulting research. 76th Annual Meeting of The Academy of Management. (August 2016, Anaheim, USA)
- Mosonyi, S., Gond, J-P., Empson, L. (2016) 25 years of theorising: Management consultants as pretexts, contexts, service providers, practitioners and subjects. 32nd European Group for Organization Studies Colloquium (July 2016, Naples, Italy)
The Role of Consultants in Responsible Practices: Fashion-setters or legitimisers. Conference organized by La Chaire Ethique et Gouvernement d'Entreprise (EGE) (January 2017, Dauphine University, Paris, France)