Student drop-in and feedback hours
Research Impact Lead
First Year Academic Advisor
Centre Director for the Centre for Globalisation Research
Follow me @pmrsmartins
- Applied Economics (BUS128)
- Economics for Business and Society (BUS108)
- Economics of the Public Sector (BUSM074)
Prof Martins is an empirical labour economist. His main research interests are in employment law/collective bargaining, employment services/training, and the role of international trade and multinationals on labour markets. His policy-oriented research draws on his experience as Secretary of State for Employment in the Government of Portugal (2011-2013) and has been supported by a number of organisations, including the European Commission, OECD, IMF, ILO, ESRC, British Academy, and IPEA. Prof Martins is also a research fellow of IZA (Bonn) and NovaSBE (Lisbon) and the head of the Scientific Council of EPIS, an NGO that promotes social inclusion.
Grants, contracts and awards:
- 'Economic Analysis of Collective Bargaining Extensions', DG Employment, European Commission, 2017-2018 (PI, €405k)
- 'Developing vocational training in the Mozambique labour market', International Growth Centre, July-November 2015 (PI, £19.6k)
- 'ActiValuate: Counterfactual impact evaluation of a large activation programme' - European Commission, DG Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion, April 2014-May 2015 (€96k).
- 'Comparative Analysis of Enterprise Data: Industry Dynamics, Firm Performance, and Worker Outcomes', COST/ESF/European Commission (Coordinator: Professor John Earle), 2008-2010 (€400k)
- 'Competitiveness, Innovation and Intangible Investment in Europe', European Commission (Coordinator: Professor Jonathan Haskel), 2008-2010 (€1.4m)
- 'Cohort effects within firms, and their implications for labour market outcomes and the business cycle', ESRC (Coordinator: Professor Jonathan Thomas), 2008-2011 (£330k).
- 'Temporary Contracts and Economic Performance', FCT, 2010-2012 (€28k)
- 'Entrepreneurial Exit and Organisation Performance', FCT (Coordinator: Professor Miguel Amaral), 2010-2013 (€75k)
- Improving Achievement through Targeted, Non-Cognitive Skills: Evidence from the EPIS Program. Bank of Portugal Conference Proceedings, 2010
- Bank of Portugal award, 2010 Conference on Economic Development, €5,000
- Measuring What Employers Really Do About Entry Wages Over the Business Cycle (with Gary Solon and Jonathan Thomas), NBER WP 15767
- P. Martins, A. Snell, H. Stueber & J. Thomas (forthcoming) Bias in Returns to Tenure When Firm Wages and Employment Comove: A Quantitative Assessment and Solution', Journal of Labor Economics.
- P. Martins, Y. Yang (2015) 'Globalised labour markets? International rent sharing across 47 countries'. British Journal of Industrial Relations, 53(4), 664–691.
- P. Martins, Y. Yang, N. Driffield (2013) 'Multinational Performance and the Geography of FDI: Evidence from 46 Countries', Management International Review, 53(6), 763-794.
- A. Hijzen, P. Martins, Th. Schank, R. Upward (2013) 'Foreign-Owned Firms Around the World: A Comparative Analysis of Wages and Employment at the Micro-Level', European Economic Review, 60(C), 170-188.
- P. Martins, G. Solon, J. Thomas (2012) 'Measuring What Employers Do about Entry Wages over the Business Cycle: A New Approach', American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, 4(4), 36-55.
- P. Martins, (2011) 'Paying More to Hire the Best? Foreign Firms, Wages and Worker Mobility', Economic Inquiry, 49(2), 349-363.
- P.Martins, A Snell, J Thomas (2010) 'Real and Nominal Wage Rigidity in a Model of Equal-Treatment Contracting', Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 112(4), 841-863.
- P. Martins, J. Jin, (2010) 'Firm-Level Social Returns to Education', Journal of Population Economics, 23(2), 539-558
- P. Martins, (2009) 'Dismissals for Cause: The Difference that Just Eight Paragraphs Can Make', Journal of Labor Economics, 27(2), 257-279
- P. Martins, Y. Yang, (2009) 'The Impact of Exporting on Firm Productivity: A Meta-Analysis of the Learning-by-Exporting Hypothesis', Review of World Economics, 145(3), 431-445
- P. Martins, (2009) 'Rent Sharing Before and After the Wage Bill', Applied Economics, 41(17), 2133-2151
- P. Martins, (2008) 'Dispersion in Wage Premiums and Firm Performance', Economics Letters, 101(1), 63-65
- P. Martins, (2007) 'Heterogeneity in Real Wage Cyclicality', Scottish Journal of Political Economy, 54(5), 684-698
- P. Martins, A. Snell, J. Thomas, (2005) 'Wage Dynamics, Cohort Effects, and Limited Commitment Models', Journal of the European Economic Association, 3(2/3): 350-359
- P. Martins, P. Pereira, (2004) 'Does Education Reduce Wage Inequality? Quantile Regression Evidence from 16 Countries', Labour Economics, 11(3): 355-371, ISSN: 0927-5371
- P. Martins, (2004) 'Industry Wage Premia: Evidence from the Wage Distribution', Economics Letters, 83(2): 157-163, ISSN: 0165-1765
- P. Martins, P. Pereira, (2002) 'Is There a Return-Risk Link in Education?' Economics Letters, 75(1): 31-37, ISSN: 0165-1765
- P. Martins (2016) ‘Do wages increase when severance pay drops? Not in recessions’, Centre for Globalisation Research Working Paper 77.
- P. Martins (2016) ‘The third worker: Assessing the trade-off between employees and contractors', Centre for Globalisation Research Working Paper 75.
- P. Martins (2016) ‘Can overtime premium flexibility promote employment? Firm- and worker-level evidence from a labour law reform', Centre for Globalisation Research Working Paper 74.
- P. Martins (2016) ‘Should the maximum duration of fixed-term contracts increase in recessions? Evidence from a law reform', Centre for Globalisation Research Working Paper 73.
- P. Martins (2016) ‘Employment Resilience through Services Exports? Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data' , Centre for Globalisation Research Working Paper 72.
- P. Martins, A. Hijzen (2016) ‘No Extension without Representation? Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Collective Bargaining', Centre for Globalisation Research Working Paper 68.
- P. Martins (2015) ‘Working to get fired? Regression discontinuity effects of unemployment benefit eligibility on prior employment duration’, Centre for Globalisation Research Working Paper 61.
- P. Martins (2015) ‘The Diversity of Personnel Practices and Firm Performance’, Centre for Globalisation Research Working Paper 62.
- P. Martins (2014) '30,000 Minimum Wages: The Economic Effects of Collective Agreements Extensions', Centre for Globalisation Research Working Paper 51.
- P. Martins, S. Pessoa e Costa (2014) 'Reemployment effects from increased activation: Evidence from times of crisis', Centre for Globalisation Research Working Paper 52.
- Empirical labour economics
Current Doctoral Students
- Li Dai, 'An Empirical Study of the Return to Education in the Case of China'
- Danula Gamage, 'Active Labour Market Policies Targetting Disadvantage groups: Is it effective? Evidence from the United Kingdom'
- Huy Quang Bui
- Vladislav Skovorodov
- Yifan Qian
PhD Supervision Completions
- Dr Eshref Trushin (2010)
- Dr Yong Yang (2009)
- SBM research cited in new European Commission initiative to tackle long-term unemployment, 22 September 2015
- Developing training in the Mozambique Labour Market, 21 July 2015
- LBC Radio. 'Greek EU loan conditions', 23 February 2015
- BBC World Service Business Matters. ' Portuguese Bank in Crisis', 11 July 2014
- BBC Radio 4 Today programme. ' Portugal's successful exit from the EU bailout programme', 2 May 2014
- Financial Times. ' Why recessions aren't all about job losses', 16 April 2010