Dr Georgios Kavetsos
Senior Lecturer in Behavioural Science
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44(0) 20 7882 6610Room Number: Room 3.44C, Bancroft Building, Mile End Campus
Student drop-in and feedback hours
First Year Academic Advisor
Georgios is a Lecturer in Behavioural Science at Queen Mary University of London. The first theme to his research seeks to understand how interventions shape individuals’ behaviour and preferences. The second studies the impact behaviours and interventions have on individuals’ well-being.
Georgios holds a PhD in Economics from Imperial College Business School. Prior to joining Queen Mary, he held research positions at Cass Business School and the London School of Economics, where he is affiliated with the Centre for Economic Performance.
- Economics for Business Management (BUS137)
• Behavioural Economics
• Health Economics
• Welfare Economics
- De Neve JE., Ward G., Van Landeghem B., De Keulenaer F., Kavetsos G., and Nor ton M. (2017) “The asymmetric experience of positive and negative economic growth: Global evidence using subjective well-being data”, Review of Economics & Statistics, forthcoming
- Adler M., Dolan P., and Kavetsos G. (2017) “Would you choose to be happy? Trade- offs between happiness and the other dimensions of life in a large population survey”, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 139, 60-73.
- Zenko Z., Ekkekakis P. and Kavetsos G. (2016) “Changing minds: Bounded rationality and heuristic processes in exercise-related judgments and decisions”. Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology, 5(4), 337-351.
- Dolan P. and Kavetsos G. (2016) “Happy talk: Mode of administration effects on subjective well-being”. Journal of Happiness Studies, 17(3), 1273-1291.
- Vandoros S. and Kavetsos G. (2015) `Now or later? Understanding the etiologic period of suicide'. Preventive Medicine Reports, 2, 809-811.
- Borowiecki K.J. and Kavetsos G. (2015) `In fatal pursuit of immortal fame: Peer competition and early mortality of music composers'. Social Science & Medicine, 134, 30-42.
- Dolan P., Kavetsos G., and Vlaev I. (2014) `The happiness workout'. Social Indicators Research, 119, 1363-1377.
- Vandoros S., Kavetsos G., and Dolan P. (2014) `Greasy roads: The impact of bad financial news on road traffic accidents'. Risk Analysis, 34, 556-566.
- Kavetsos G., Dimitriadou M., and Dolan P. (2014) `Measuring happiness: Context matters'. Applied Economics Letters, 21, 308-311.
- Ahlfeldt G.M. and Kavetsos G. (2014) `Form or function? The impact of new sports stadia on property prices in London'. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A, 177, 169-190.
- Mulhern B., Bansback N., Brazier J., Buckingham K., Cairns J., Devlin N., Dolan P., Hole A.R., Kavetsos G., Longworth L., Rowen D., and Tsuchiya A. (2014) `Preparatory study for the revaluation of the EQ-5D tariff: Methodology report'. Health Technology Assessment, 18, 1-192.
- Dolan P., Kavetsos G., and Tsuchiya A. (2013) `Sick but satisfied: The impact of life and health satisfaction on choice between health scenarios'. Journal of Health Economics, 32, 708-714.
- Dolan P. and Kavetsos G. (2012) `Educational interventions are unlikely to work because obese people aren't unhappy enough to lose weight'. British Medical Journal, 345: e8487.
- Kavetsos G. (2012) `The impact of the London Olympics announcement on property prices'. Urban Studies, 49, 1453-1470.
- Kavetsos G. (2012) `National pride: War minus the shooting'. Social Indicators Research, 106, 173-185.
- Kavetsos G. and Koutroumpis P. (2011) `Technological affluence and subjective well-being'. Journal of Economic Psychology, 32, 742-753.
- Kavetsos G. (2011) `The impact of physical activity on employment'. Journal of Socio-Economics, 40, 775-779.
- Kavetsos G. and Szymanski S. (2010) `National wellbeing and international sports events'. Journal of Economic Psychology, 31, 158-171.
- Kavetsos G. and Szymanski S. (2009) `From the Olympics to the grassroots: What will London 2012 mean for sport funding and participation in Britain?'. Public Policy Research, 16, 192-196.
- Kavetsos G. and Szymanski S. (2008) `Olympic Games, terrorism and their impact on the London and Paris stock exchanges'. Revue d'Economie Politique, 118, 189-206.
- Asteriou D. and Kavetsos G. (2006) `Testing for the existence of the January effect in transition economies'. Applied Financial Economics Letters, 2, 375-381.
- Kavetsos G. (2016) Introduction to the Greek translation of Paul Dolan's book "Happiness by Design'', Katoptro Publishing, Greece.
- Ahlfeldt G.M. and Kavetsos G. (2013) `Should I wish on a stadium? Measuring the average effect on the treated'. In: P. Rodrigues P., Kesenne S. and J. García (eds.) The Econometrics of Sport, Edward Elgar, pp. 189-201.
- Ahlfeldt G.M. and Kavetsos G. (2012) `Outlook, progress and challenges of stadium evaluation'. In: W. Maenning and A. Zimbalist (eds.) International Handbook on the Economics of Mega Sporting Events, Edward Elgar, pp. 279-294.
- Kavetsos G. (2011) `Physical activity and subjective well-being: An empirical analysis'. In P. Rodriguez, S. Kesenne and B. Humphreys (eds.) The Economics of Sport, Health and Happiness: The Promotion of Well-Being through Sporting Activities, Edward Elgar, pp. 213-222.
- Lymperaki A. and Kavetsos G. (2011) `The economics of happiness during hard times: An introduction'. Introduction to the Greek translation of Richard Layard's book 'Happiness: Lessons from a New Science', 2nd edition, Economia Publishing, Greece, pp. 15-40.