Dr Yasmin Ibrahim
Professor of Digital Economy and Culture
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 207 882 8986Room Number: Room 4.40, Bancroft Building, Mile End Campus
Student drop-in and feedback hours
Wednesday 10am - 12pm
Dr Yasmin Ibrahim has a wide array of research interests which tend to be multi-disciplinary in approach. She has published extensively in the field of media and communications. Her research on new media technologies explores the cultural dimensions and social and ethical implications in the diffusion of ICTs in different contexts. Beyond new media and digital technologies she writes on political communication, political mobilisation and empowerment from cultural perspectives. Her other research interests include media literacy, visual economies and risks that have emerged in digital environments with the convergence of technologies. She also writes on the construction of Islam in postmodernity and the need to build theories from postcolonial perspectives in the field of media and communications.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2017) Revisiting Rousseau’s Amour Propre: Self Love in the Digital Age, Empedocles: European Journal for the Philosophy of Communication, Volume 8, Number 1, pp. 115-128(14).
- Ibrahim, Y., & Howarth, A. (2017) Communicating the ‘Migrant’ Body as Risk; Space, EU and Expanding Borders. Journal of Risk Research, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13669877.2017.1313765
- Ibrahim, Y. (2017) The Re-aestheticization of Poverty; Blogging Hunger in the Age of Austerity, Social Identities: Journal for the Study of Race, Nation and Culture. doi.org/10.1080/13504630.2017.1281114
- Ibrahim, Y. (2017) Coalescing the Mirror and the Screen Consuming the ‘Self’ Online, Continuum, 31(1): 104-113.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2016) The Negro Marketing Dilemma: Dominant Marketing Discourses in the US from the 1950s to the 1970s, Journal of Historical Research in Marketing, Vol. 8(4): 545-563.
- Ibrahim, Y., and Howarth, A. (2016) The Third Narrative Space, The Not –for-Profit Media Interventions, Ethical Space, 13(4), http://communicationethics.net/sub-journals/abstract.php?id=00109
- Ibrahim, Y., and Howarth, A. (2016) Contamination, Deception and Othering: Media Framing of the Horsemeat Scandal. Social Identities: Journal for the Study of Race, Nation and Culture, 23(2): 212-231.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2016) Tank Man, Media Memory and Yellow Duck Patrol Remembering Tiananmen on Social Media, Digital Journalism, 4(5): 582-596.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2016) Self-Production through the Banal and the Fictive, Self and the Relationship with the Screen. International Journal of E-Politics, 7(2): 51-61
- Ibrahim, Y. (2016) Self-Representation and the Disaster Event: Self-Imaging, Morality and Immortality, Journal of Media Practice, 16(3): 211-227.
- Ibrahim, Y., and Howarth, A. (2016) Imaging the Jungles of Calais: Media Visuality and the Refugee Camp, Networking Knowledge, 9(4); http://ojs.meccsa.org.uk/index.php/netknow/article/view/446/268
- Ibrahim, Y. and Howarth, A. (2015) 'Sounds of the Jungle: Re-humanizing the Migrant'. JOMEC, https://publications.cardiffuniversitypress.org/index.php/JOMEC/article/view/213/461
- Ibrahim, Y. (2016) Neda, Martyrdom and the Media Event: Death Imagery as an Iconic Memory, The Poster, 3:1/2: 31-48.
- Y.Ibrahim (Ed.) (2016) Politics, Protest, and Empowerment in Digital Spaces. Hershey, USA: IGI. http://www.igi-global.com/book/politics-protest-empowerment-digital-spaces/166730
- Ibrahim, Y. and Howarth, A. (2015) Constructing the Eastern European Other: Horsemeat and the Migrant Other. Journal of Contemporary European Studies. 24(3): 397:413.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2015) Food Porn and the Invitation to Gaze: Ephemeral Consumption and Digital Spectacle. International Journal of E-Politics, 6(3): 1-12.
- Ibrahim, Y., and Howarth, A. (2015) Sounds of the Jungle: Re-Humanizing the Migrant, Jomec Journal, 7, http://www.qmul.ac.uk/docs/167415.pdf
- Ibrahim, Y. (2016) Self and the Relationship with the Screen, Interrogating the Banal and Fictive in Self Production, in Y.Ibrahim (ed.) Politics, Protest, and Empowerment in Digital Spaces. Hershey, USA: IGI.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2016) Ubiquitous Food Imaging, Food Images as Digital Spectacle, in Y.Ibrahim (ed.) Politics, Protest, and Empowerment in Digital Spaces. Hershey, USA: IGI.
- Howarth, A. and Ibrahim, Y. (2015) 'Space and the Migrant Camps of Calais: Space-Making at the Margins', in Thorsen, E. , Jackson, D. , Savigny, H. and Alexander, J. (eds.) Media, Margins and Civic Agency. Basingstoke Palgrave Macmillan pp. 131 - 150.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2015) "Instagramming life: banal imaging and the poetics of the everyday." Journal of Media Practice, 16.1: 42-54.
- Ibrahim, Y. and Howarth, A. (2015) 'Space Construction in Media Reporting: A Study of the Migrant Space in the 'Jungles' of Calais'. Fast Capitalism, 12 (1), http://www.uta.edu/huma/agger/fastcapitalism/12_1/Ibrahim-Howarth-Space-Construction.htm
- Ibrahim, Y. & Howarth, A. (2014) Mobile Devices and Recording in the Classroom: A Survey of Policy in UK Higher Education Institutions, Journal of Cyber Ethics in Education, Volume 3, Issue 1, 21-32.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2014) Social Media and the Mumbai Terror Attack: The Coming of Age of Twitter, In Allen, S., and Thorsen, E. (eds.) Citizen Journalism; Global Perspectives, Volume 2. London: Peter Lang.
- Ibrahim, Y., & Miles, C. (2013) Customised Communication and the Mouse Click Generation: Between Empowerment and Vulnerability, 1-11. In Knowledge Management: An International Journal 12 (4): 1-11.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2013) A Review of the Information Economy: Challenges, Opportunities and Constraints, International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management, Volume 11, Issue 6, pp.199-212
- Miles, C., & Ibrahim, Y. (2013). Deconstructing the meerkat: fabular anthropomorphism, popular culture, and the market. Journal of Marketing Management, (ahead-of-print), 1-19.
- Bhui, K., & Ibrahim, Y. (2013). Marketing the “radical”: Symbolic communication and persuasive technologies in jihadist websites. Transcultural psychiatry, 50(2), 216-234.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2012) Temporality, space and technology: time-space discourses of call centres, New Technology, Work and Employment, 21(1): 23-35.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2012) The Politics of Watching: Visuality and the New Media Economy, Journal of E-Politics, 3(2): 1-11.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2012) Guest Editorial Preface, Special Issue on Digital Visual Cultures, Journal of E-Politics, 3(2).
- Ibrahim, Y. (2012) Interview with Catarina Carneiro de Sousa: Multimedia Artists and Art Educator, Journal of E-Politics, 3(2): 57-61.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2011) Constructing the Jungle, Distance Framing on the Daily Mail. International Journal of Media and Cultural Politics, 7(3): 315-331.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2011) Integrating the Postcolonial: The Missing Paradigm in Media Studies’, Journal of the World Universities Forum 4(2), pp.35-42.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2010) Domestication of Suffering: the Politics of Pity and Communion through ICTs, Empedocles: European Journal for the Philosophy of Communication, 1(2): pp137-150
- Ibrahim, Y. (2011) ‘The non-stop ‘capture’: the politics of looking in postmodernity’, The Poster, pp. 167-186.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2010) The Breastfeeding Controversy and Facebook: Politicization of Image, Privacy and Protest. International Journal of E-Politics, 1(2): 16-28.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2010) ‘The Regulation of Gaze and Capture: New Media and the Image Economy’, International Journal of Technoethics.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2010) The Re-Scripting of Jihad in Postmodernity: International Journal of Religion and Society, 1(4).
- Ibrahim, Y. (2010) Bias of the Academy and Media Literacy: The Academy as a Cultural Institution., Journal of the World Universities Forum, Vol 3
- Ibrahim, Y. (2009 - June) Veiled in the City: Politics of Form in the Urban Space. Journal of Arab and Muslim Media Research, 2(1/2): 23-38
- Ibrahim, Y. (2009) The Art of Shoe Throwing; Shoes as a symbol of Protest and Popular Imagination, Media War and Conflict, 2(2): 213-226
- Ibrahim, Y. (2009) YouTube and Student Presentations. R.ED, 2(1): 18-20
- Ibrahim, Y. (2008) Mediated Islam: Narrating Islam as a Media Text. The International Journal of Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Stability, 1(4).
- Ibrahim, Y. (2008) Blogs as the People’s Archive: The Phantom Public and Virtual Presence. Journal of New Communication Research, 3(1): 64-73
- Ibrahim, Y. (2008) The New Risk Communities: Social Networking Sites and Risk. International Journal of Media and Cultural Politics 4(2): 245-253.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2008) Western Centric Media Studies in a Globalised World: Knowledge Archive or Impediment to International Perspectives. Journal of the World Universities Forum. 1(4): 73-80.
- Ibrahim, Y. & Smith, N. (2008) Community and Communion: Books as Communal Artefacts in the Digital Age. 5(3): 65-72.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2008) The Wired Body and Event Construction: Mobile Technologies and the Technological Gaze, The International Journal of Technology, Knowledge and Society, 4 (2): 105-112.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2007) "9/11 as a new temporal phase for Islam: The narrative and temporal framing of Islam in crisis." Journal of Contemporary Islam 1(1)
- Ibrahim, Y. (2007) 'SARS and the Rhetoric of War in Singapore.' Crossroads, vol.18 no.2.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2008) ‘The Co-opted Body and Counter Surveillance; The Body as Data and Surveillance,’ The International Journal of Humanities. 5(12): 1-8.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2007) “The Mediated 'Ummah' in the Digital Age: The Global Islamic Audience", International Journal of Technology Knowledge and Society, Vol 2 (5): 1-6.
- Ibrahim, Y.(2007) ‘The Banning of Podcasts in Election Campaigns: Regulating the Spaces for Political Marketing on the Internet,’ International Journal of Technology, Knowledge and Society, 3(4): 45-52.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2007) 'Domesticating the Global; The Global as an Entity in the Home space,' Panjab University Research Journal (Arts) V. XXXIV, Nos. 1&2 (April - Oct 2007)pp 71-78.
Open Source Journals:
- Ibrahim, Y. (2009) City Under Siege; Narrating Mumbai Through the Non-Stop Capture, Culture Unbound, Vol 1, 385-399
- Ibrahim, Y. (2009) ‘Holocaust as the Visual Subject The Problematics of Memory Making through Visual Culture’ Nebula 6.4.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2008) ‘New visibilities: Mobile technology and media event’ RE-public – Special Issue, Towards a Critique of the Social Web, Republic. English version / Greek version
- Ibrahim, Y. (Oct. 2007) "The Emergence of Audience as Victims: The Issue of Trust in an Era of Phone Scandals," M/C Journal, 10(5). Retrieved 25 Jan. 2008 from http://journal.media-culture.org.au/0710/09-ibrahim.php
- Ibrahim, Y. (2007) Transformation as Narrative and Process: Locating Myth and Mimesis in Reality Television, Nebula 4.4
- Ibrahim, Y. (2007) ‘The IMF in Singapore: The Staging of a City,’ Fast Capitalism, 2.2
- Ibrahim, Y. (Jun. 2007) "Commodifying Terrorism: Body, Surveillance and the Everyday," M/C Journal, 10(3). Retrieved 27 Jun. 2007
- Ibrahim, Y. (Mar. 2007) "The Technological Gaze: Event Construction and the Mobile Body," M/C Journal, 10(1). Retrieved 19 Mar. 2007
- Ibrahim, Y. (Dec. 2006) "Weblogs as Personal Narratives: Displacing History and Temporality", M/C Journal, 9(6). Retrieved 06 Jan. 2007
- Ibrahim, Y. (Oct 2006) “Capital Punishment and Virtual Protest; A Case Study of Singapore.” First Monday, Vol 1 (10).
- Ibrahim, Y. (2012) The Politics of Image: The Image Economy on Facebook, In Livermore, C.R. (ed.) E-Politcs and Organizational Implications of the Internet, Power, Influence and Social Change. Pennsylvania, USA: IGI Group, pp 34-46.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2012) Globalization, Epidemics, and Politics: Communicating Risk in the Digital Age, in St Amant, K., & Olaniran, B. (eds.) Globalization and the Digital Divide, Amherst, NY: Cambria Press.
- Howarth, A. & Ibrahim, Y. (2012) Threat and Suffering: The Liminal Space of 'The Jungle'.In: Andrews, H. and Roberts, L., (eds.), Liminal Landscapes: Travel, experience and spaces in-between. London: Routledge.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2011) ‘Singapore’ In Barnett, G., & Golson, G. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Social Networking. Sage Publications
- Ibrahim, Y. (2011) ‘Marketing to Networks’ In Barnett, G., & Golson, G. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Social Networking. Sage Publications
- Ibrahim, Y. (2011) ‘The Advent of Play and Pursuit’, in Tao, M., Hua, X., & Hanjalic, A. (eds.) Online Multimedia Advertising: Techniques and Technologies. Pennsylvania, USA: IGI Group
- Ibrahim, Y. (2011) ‘Bearing Witness Through Technology: War and Visual Culture in a Converged World’, in Jin, D. (ed.) Global Media Convergence and Cultural Transformations: Emerging Social Patterns and Characters. Pennsylvania, USA: IGI Group
- Ibrahim, Y. (2011) Cultural Constructions of Jihad: Body, Paradise and the Urban Space. New York: Nova Science Publishers.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2010) ‘The Wired Body and Event Creation’, in Karim, G., & Cope, P.K. (eds.) Properties of Technology: Mapping Emerging Digital Spaces in Contemporary Society. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2010) ‘Community and Communion: Books as Communal Artefacts in the Digital Age’, in Karim, G., & Cope, P.K. (eds.) Properties of Technology: Mapping Emerging Digital Spaces in Contemporary Society. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2009) Social Networking Sites (SNS) and the Narcissistic Turn: The Politics of Self-Exposure. In S. Rummler & K. B. Ng (Eds.), Collaborative Technologies and Applications for Interactive Information Design: Emerging Trends in User Experiences. Pennsylvania, USA: IGI Group
- Ibrahim, Y. (2010) ‘Empowerment, Ethics and New Knowledge Economies: The Dilemmas of Consumers as Producers with Web 2.0.’, In Murugesan, S. (ed.) Handbook of Research on Web 3.0, 2.0. and X.O: Technologies, Business and Social Applications. Pennsylvania, USA: IGI Group.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2009) The Analogue to Digital Switchover: Media Literacy in the Context of Change: Criticism, Histories and Policies. In Leaning, M. (ed.) Issues in Information and Media Literacy. Santa Rosa, California: Informing Science Press.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2008) ‘Ethics of Gazing: Pornography and the Politics of looking’ in Luppicini. R. (ed.), The Handbook of Research on Technoethics. Pennsylvania, USA; IGI Global Publishing.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2009) The Mediated 'Ummah' and Broadcasting; Islamic Audience in the Digital Age’in Charles, A. & J. Wilson (eds.) Media in Enlarged Europe. Eastbourne, UK: Intellect.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2009) ‘Textual and Symbolic Resistance Re-mediating Politics Through the Blogsphere in Singapore’in Adrienne Russell and Nabil Echchaibi (eds), in Accented Blogging: Reconceptualizing the Role of Blogs in an International Context. London: Peter Lang.
- Ibrahim, Y. (2007) “Global governance and the local internet.” (2007) In St. Amant, K. (Ed.) Linguistic and cultural online communication issues in the global age. Toronto: Idea Group Inc.
Current Doctoral Students
- Saskia Fischer, 'Media and Social Movement Struggles in Argentina'
- Gynna Millan-Franco, 'Smart' Global South Cities: From Possibility to Inclusivity'
- Eranjan Padumasa, 'Key to Our Privacy: The Role of Consent in Data Protection Law'