Dr Guven Demirel
Lecturer in Supply Chain Management
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgRoom Number: Room 2.31, Bancroft Building, Mile End Campus
Student drop-in and feedback hours
- Member of the Business Analytics and Applied Economics Group (BAAE)
- UG Academic Advisor
Dr Güven Demirel is Lecturer in Supply Chain Management at Queen Mary University of London. He holds a PhD in Physics from the Technical University of Dresden, Germany. He previously worked as Researcher at the Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems, Dresden, Germany; as Research Fellow at the Nottingham University Business School, UK and Lecturer at the Essex Business School, UK. He is a fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Masterclass in Business Analytics (BUSM131)
- Quantitative Research Methods (BUSM014)
Guven conducts interdisciplinary research on complex systems, investigating the stability and resilience of supply networks, international business networks, and ecological networks; the effectiveness of supplier development programs; and the co-evolution of the network structure and contact processes. He uses methods from complex networks, dynamical systems theory, operations research, and game theory.
- Demirel, G., MacCarthy, B. L., Ritterskamp, L., Champneys, A. R. & Gross, T. 2019 Identifying dynamical instabilities in supply networks using generalized modeling. Journal of Operations Management 65, 136-159.
- Ritterskamp, D., Demirel, G., Rudolf, L., Champneys, A. R., MacCarthy, B. L. & Gross, T. 2018 Revealing instabilities in a generalized triadic supply network: a bifurcation analysis. Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Nonlinear Science 28, 073103.
- Quigley, J., Walls, L., Demirel, G., MacCarthy, B. L. & Parsa, M. 2018 Supplier quality improvement: The value of information under uncertainty. European Journal of Operational Research 264 (3), 932-947.
- Demirel, G., Barter, E. & Gross, T. 2017 Dynamics of epidemic diseases on a growing adaptive network. Scientific Reports 7, 42352.
- Silk, H., Demirel, G., Homer, M. & Gross, T. 2014 Exploring the adaptive voter model dynamics with a mathematical triple jump. New Journal of Physics 16, 093051.
- Demirel, G., Vazquez, F., Böhme, G. A. & Gross, T. 2014 Moment-closure approximations for discrete adaptive networks. Physica D 267, 68-80.
- Couzin, I. D., Ioannou, C. C., Demirel, G., Gross, T., Torney, C. J., Hartnett, A., Conradt, L., Levin, S. A. & Leonard, N. E. 2011 Uninformed individuals promote democratic consensus in animal groups. Science 334, 1578-1580.
- Demirel, G., Prizak, R., Reddy, P. N. & Gross, T. 2011 Cyclic dominance in adaptive networks. European Physical Journal B 84, 541-548.
- Atilgan, C., Demirel, G. & Atilgan, A. R. 2008 Collective behavior of El Farol attendees. Advances in Complex Systems 11, 629_639.
Dr Guven Demirel welcomes applications from prospective PhD students interested in the optimization problems in supply chain management, the design of supplier contracts, and the application of dynamical systems and complex networks methods and approaches to business networks.