Dr Yasser Bhatti
Lecturer in Innovation and Strategy
Email: email@example.comRoom Number: 3.36A, Bancroft Building, Mile End Campus
Student drop-in and feedback hours
Tuesdays 3-5pm (term time)
Roles: Research and Teaching at QMUL with additional engagement and affiliations including:
- Director, Recruitment and Admissions (PG), Queen Mary University of London
- (Honorary) Lecturer, Imperial College London
- (Non-Stipendiary) Lecturer in Management, New College, University of Oxford
Yasser completed his PhD in Innovation and MSc in Entrepreneurship from University of Oxford's Said Business School with thesis topic: “Frugal innovation: Social entrepreneurs’ perceptions of innovation under institutional voids, resource scarcity and affordability constraints.”
He has conducted several empirical studies and received grants amounting to £580K as Principal Investigator, Co-Investigator, Co-organizer, and Research Lead from organisations including National Institute for Health Research, Commonwealth Fund, Said Foundation, Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship, University of Oxford Software Incubator, Green Templeton College, Research and Management Development Association, and AT&T Foundation.
PhD Supervision: I supervise three Phd candidates at Imperial College London, one of whom has graduated. Please get in touch if interested for supervision at QMUL in areas of my research interest.
For up to date list also check: http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=N5r3oL0AAAAJ&hl
Research Interest/Grants: Yasser’s research interests are in innovation, entrepreneurship, and strategy with focus on innovation under constraints, the localisation and globalisation of innovation, and the role of emerging market economies and situated actors such as social entrepreneurs in emerging trends in innovation, particularly in frugal innovation for healthcare. He studies these phenomena through the lens of institutional theory and resource based view. He also has an interest in regional clusters, scenarios and futures.
- Bhatti, Y., Basu, R., Barron, D., & Ventresca, M. 2018. Frugal Innovation: Models, Means, Methods. Cambridge University Press.
- Harris, M., Bhatti, Y., Prime, M., del Castillo, J., Parston, G., Darzi, A. 2016. Global Diffusion of Healthcare Innovation: Making the Connections. Doha, Qatar: World Innovation Summit for Health. (http://www.wish.org.qa/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/IMPJ4495_WISH_GDHI_WEB-1.pdf )
- Bhatti, Y. & Prabhu, J. 2018. (Accepted & forthcoming) Frugal Innovation and Social Innovation: Linked Paths to Achieving Inclusion Sustainably, In Handbook of Inclusive Innovation: The Role of Organizations, Markets and Communities in Social Innovation. Edited by Gerry George, Ted Baker, Paul Tracey and Havovi Joshi: Edward Elgar.
- Prime, M., Bhatti, Y., & Harris, M. 2017. Frugal and reverse innovation in surgery. In Global Surgery: The Essentials. Edited by Adrian Park and Ray Price: Springer, pp 193-206.
- Bhatti,Y. Khilji, S. & Basu, R. 2013. Frugal Innovation. In Globalization, Change and Learning in South Asia. Edited by Khilji, Shaista & Rowley, Chris. UK: Chandos Publishing. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780857094643500076 )
- Bhatti, Y., del Castillo, J., Olson, K., and Darzi, A. 2018. Putting humans at the center of healthcare innovation. Harvard Business Review, March. (https://hbr.org/2018/03/putting-humans-at-the-center-of-health-care-innovation )
- Prime, M., Attaelmanan, I., Bhatti, Y. et al. 2018. From Malawi to Middlesex – The case of the Arbutus Drill Cover System as an example of the cost saving potential of frugal innovations for the UK NHS. BMJ Innovations, March, 4: 103-110. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjinnov-2017-000233 )
- Harris, M., Bhatti, Y. et al. 2018. Low-Cost Innovation in Healthcare: What you find depends on where you look. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 111(2): 47-50. (https://doi.org/10.1177/0141076817738501 )
- Bhatti, Y., Prime, M., Harris, M. et al. 2017. The Search for the Holy Grail: Frugal Innovation in Healthcare from Developing Countries for Reverse Innovation to Developed Countries. BMJ Innovations, 3(4). (http://innovations.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/bmjinnov-2016-000186)
- Bhatti, Y., Harris, M., Taylor, A., et al. 2017. Global lessons in frugal innovation to improve healthcare delivery in the United States. Health Affairs, 36(11). (http://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/abs/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0480 )
- Harris, M., Bhatti, Y., et al. 2017. Explicit bias towards high-income country research: a randomized, blinded, crossover experiment in English clinicians. Health Affairs, 36(11). (http://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/abs/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0773 )
- Kulasabanathan, K., Issa, H., Bhatti, Y., Prime, M., del Castillo, J., Darzi, A., Harris, M. 2017. Do International Health Partnerships contribute to Reverse Innovation? A mixed methods study of THET-supported partnerships in the UK. Globalization and Health, 13:25. (https://doi.org/10.1186/s12992-017-0248-2 )
- Prime, M, Bhatti, Y, Harris, M, Darzi, A. 2016. African healthcare innovation: An untapped resource? World Hospitals and Health Services Journal. Special issue on Learning from African Innovations, 52(3).
- Harris, M., Bhatti, Y., & Darzi A. 2016. Innovations in health care delivery -- Does the Country of Origin Matter in Health Care Innovation Diffusion? Journal of the American Medical Association, 315(11):1103-4. (http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2503181)
- Selin, C., Kimbell, L. Ramirez, R. and Bhatti, Y. 2015. Scenarios and design: Scoping the dialogue space. Futures, 74: November 2015. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016328715000804)
- Bhatti, Y., Selin, C., Ramirez, R. and Chermack, T. 2015. Introduction to the special issue in futures on design and scenarios. Futures, 74: November 2015.(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016328715001391)
- Bhatti, Y., Nishtar, S. and Scott, I. 2014. Gender equality: Coming soon to emerging markets near you. Ivey Business Journal, March/April issue. (https://bit.ly/2lhpjyD and http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/95698410/)
- Bhatti, Y. 2014. Reverse Innovation: Create Far from Home, Win Everywhere. Book Review in South Asian Journal of Global Business Research, 3(1), 102-104.
- Bhatti, Y. 2013. Jugaad Innovation: Think Frugal, Be Flexible, Generate Breakthrough Growth. Book Review in South Asian Journal of Global Business Research, 2(2), 279-282.
Refereed Conference Papers
- Bhatti, Y., Mueller, J., Ramirez, R., Tapinose, E. 2017. An Empirical Study of Learning Scenario Planning and of Carrying out Scenario Planning Interventions. British Academy of Management Conference, Warwick, September 5-7, 2017.
- Tapinos, E., Ramirez, R., Bhatti, Y. 2017. The Relationship Between Selection, Application and Outcomes of Strategy Tools; the Case of Scenario Planning. Strategic Management Society (SMS) Annual Conference, Houston, October 28-31, 2017.
- del Castillo, J., Bhatti, Y., Hossain, M. 2017. The Collaboration between and Contribution of a Digital Open Innovation Platform to a Local Design Process -- The Case of OpenIDEO and Helix End-of-Life Challenge. British Academy of Management Conference, Warwick, September 5-7, 2017.
- Attaelmanan, A., Bhatti, Y., Prime, M., Harris, M., Darzi, A. 2017. The development and diffusion of surgical frugal innovations – lessons for the NHS. LSE International Health Policy Conference, London, February 16-19, 2017.
- Bhatti, Y. Ramirez, R., and Riaz, S. 2016. Using Live Cases to Learn Scenario Planning – How the purpose matters for impact and meaningfulness. Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 5-9 August 2016, Anaheim. Academy of Management Proceedings, 2016:1 10973; https://journals.aom.org/doi/10.5465/AMBPP.2016.10973abstract
- Prime, M. Bhatti. Y, Harris, M., and Darzi, A. 2016. Frugal Innovations for Healthcare: A Toolkit for Innovators. Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 5-9 August 2016, Anaheim. Academy of Management Proceedings, 2016:1 12622; https://journals.aom.org/doi/10.5465/AMBPP.2016.12622abstract
- Bhatti, Y. & Ramirez, R. 2015. Using Live Cases to Learn Scenario Planning – What impact on the executives in the Cases? Conference on Improving Scenario Methodology: Theory and Practice, 14-15 December 2015, Warwick Business School.
- Bhatti, Y., Kimbell, L., Ramirez, R., and Selin, C. 2014. Scenarios and Design -- Scoping the Dialogue Space for Oxford Futures Forum 2014. Oxford Futures Forum, University of Oxford. (Available at http://www.oxfordfuturesforum.org.uk/)
- Banerjee, P., Bhatti, Y., Jain, S., Fu, X., Ventresca, M., and Khilji, S. 2013. Frugal Innovation: Ways forward for Concept, Theory and Practice. 73rd Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 9-13 August 2013, Orlando, Anaheim. Academy of Management Proceedings, 2013:1 12079 https://journals.aom.org/doi/abs/10.5465/ambpp.2013.12079symposium
- Bhatti, Y. 2013. How social entrepreneurs conceptualize innovation -- the case of frugal innovation. Skoll Centre Research Colloquium on Social Entrepreneurship, 22-25 July, Said Business School, Oxford University. (Also accepted at 6th Annual Conference of the Academy of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, 29-30 Aug 2013, Oxford and the 2013 International Social Innovation Research, 2-3 Sept, Oxford).
- Bhatti, Y. 2012. What is frugal, what is innovation? Towards a theory of frugal innovation. Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 3-7 August 2012, Boston. Academy of Management Proceedings, 2012:1 10794; Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2005910
- Bhatti, Y. 2012. Towards a theory of frugal innovation. Trans-Atlantic Doctoral Conference, London Business School, 10-12 May, 2012.
- Bhatti, Y. 2011. The effect of institutional voids, resource constraints, and affordability constraints on innovation in local and foreign firms in emerging market contexts. 5th Woxbridge Doctoral Conference, Warwick Business School, Warwick, UK, 12-13 April.
- Bhatti, Y. The interplay of regional clusters, entrepreneurial activity and innovation across the European Union. 4th Global Entrepreneurship Research Conference, Imperial College, London, 2-3 Oct.
- Bhatti, Y. 2010. Establishing the effect of regional clusters on entrepreneurial activity—Evidence from the UK. 4th Woxbridge Doctoral Conference, Judge Business School, Cambridge, 14-15 April.
- Bhatti, Y. 2010. Does cluster activity enhance entrepreneurial activity? GEM UK Conference, Aston Business School, Birmingham, 30 March.
- Bhatti, Y. 2009. Establishing the effect of regional clusters on entrepreneurial activity. Academy of Innovation and Entrepreneurship Conference, Beijing, China, 16-18 July 2009.
- Bhatti, Y. 2009. Clusters, Entrepreneurship and Innovation. VII th International Conference on GEM-based Research, Cadiz, Spain, June 2009.
Other (Technical reports and teaching case)
- Wadge, H, Bhatti, Y., Carter, A., Harris, M., Parston, G., and Darzi, A. 2016. Brazil's Family Health Strategy: Using Community Health Care Workers to Provide Primary Care, The Commonwealth Fund, December 2016. Available at: http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/case-studies/2016/dec/brazil-family-health-strategy
- Bhatti, Y. 2010. “Trends from Emerging Markets: Rethinking Globalization, Innovation, and Diversity for Future Leaders”. Said Business School and Green Templeton College.
- Bhatti, Y. 2009. Teaching case on “Intellectual Property in Software Industry”. Said Business, Oxford.
- Bhatti, Y. 2009. Establishing the Effect of Regional Clusters on Entrepreneurial Activity—Evidence from the UK. Master’s Thesis. Said Business School, Oxford. Won the Dan Gowler Prize for Best Dissertation.
- Bhatti, Y. 2008. Manual on Objective Computer Based Testing Techniques. Ministry of IT Pakistan.
- Bhatti, Y. 2007. Paper for Higher Education Commission on “A First Step Towards Entrepreneurial Development in Pakistan: Entrepreneurship for Technologists”, FAST-NUCES, Islamabad.
- Bhatti, Y. 2004. Facilitation of Telecommuting -- Getting the Job Done. UNICEFF Staff Journal, July Issue.
- Bhatti, Y. 2004.UNICEF User Manual for e-General Vacancy System. UNICEF, New York.
- Malhotra, N., Mitra, S., and Bhatti, Y. 2003. Best Practices in Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity – Project report for AT&T Corp. Georgia-Tech, USA.
- Ahmed, N., Bhatti, Y., Bilal, A., and Shaiq, S., 2000. Development Cooperation Report 1996-2000. United Nations Development Programme, Pakistan.
- Bhatti, Y. 2001. Strategy for Development of IT Sector. Pakistan Mission to United Nations, NY, USA.