Dr Yuansi Hou
Senior Lecturer in Marketing; Programme Director for MSc Marketing
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 8983Room Number: Room 4.39, Francis Bancroft Building, Mile End CampusOffice Hours: By Appointment
Dr Yuansi Hou is Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Marketing and Programme Director of Marketing MSc at Queen Mary University of London, School of Business and Management. She gained her doctoral degree in Business Administration from the Chinese University of Hong Kong, and Bachelor of Business Administration from Fudan University, Shanghai, China. Before joining Queen Mary University of London, she previously held post at Durham University, Business School as an Assistant Professor in Marketing, and at University of Surrey, School of Hospitality and Tourism Management as a lecturer in Services Marketing.
Dr Hou is an active marketing researcher and specializes in the areas of consumer psychology research by using lab and field experiments, particularly her research interests focus on three themes: Environmental Psychology and Social Cognition; Experiential Consumption & Sensory Marketing, and Service Technology and AI. She has published in top-tier journals in both marketing and tourism/hospitality areas (ABS 4* and 4 journals), such as Journal of Consumer Psychology, Tourism Management, Journal of Travel Research, Annals of Tourism Research, Journal of Vocational Behavior, International Journal of Hospitality Management, and Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research.
Her teaching areas include services marketing, research method, and brand management in undergraduate, MSc, DBA, and Ph.D. programs. In addition, Yuansi has been invited to talk at research seminars and presentations made at internationally recognized conferences.
- BUS240: Services Marketing
- BUSM106: Dissertation for Marketing
- BUSM183: Services Management
Consumption (Experiential Products/Food/Overconsumption), Emotion, Experimental Design, Field Experiments, Environmental Psychology, Services Marketing
Dr Hou has authored about forty refereed journal, book chapter/newspaper and conference proceedings publications. As a consumer behavior and service marketing researcher, Dr. Hou’s research focus on three themes:
- Environmental Psychology and Social Cognition;
- Behavioral Economic Decision Making and Pricing; and
- Service Technology and AI.
Centre and Group Membership:
- Member of the Marketing Interactions & Consumer Behaviour Group (MICB)
- Hou, Y., Zhang, K., & Li, G. Service robots or human staff: How social crowding shapes tourist preferences. Tourism Management (ABS: 4)., 83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2020.104242.
- Hou, Y.S. & Zhang, K. (2020). Space and Money: How and Why Crowding Influences Tourists’ Sensitivity to Price Magnitude, Journal of Travel Research (ABS: 4). https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287520937082.
- Zhang, K., Hou, Y.S., & Li, G.. (2020). Threat of infectious disease during an outbreak: Influence on tourists’ emotional responses to disadvantaged price inequality. Annals of Tourism Research (ABS: 4). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2020.102993.
- Wang, L., Hou, Y.S., & Chen, Z.X. (2020) Are Rich and Diverse Emotions Beneficial? the Impact of Emodiversity on Tourists’ Experiences. Journal of Travel Research (ABS: 4). https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287520919521.
- Zhang, K., Hou, Y.S., Li, G., & Huang, Y. (2020). Tourists and Air Pollution: How and Why Air Pollution Magnifies Tourists’ Suspicion of Service Providers. Journal of Travel Research (ABS: 4), 59(4), 661–673.
- Zhang, Z., Hou, Y.S., & Zhu, Y.M. (2019). Applying Complexity Theory to Understanding Chinese Consumers’ Decision Making in Innovative Products. International Studies of Management and Organization (ABS: 2), 49(2), 191-212.
- Hou, Y.S., Sun, Y.X., Wan, Lisa C., & Yang, W. (2018). How Can Psychological Contagion Effect Be Attenuated? - The Role of Boundary Effect on Menu Design. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research (ABS: 2), 42(4), 606-626.
- Guan, Y., et al., & Hou, Y.S., et al. (2017). Understanding the Trait Basis of Career Adaptability: A Two-Wave Mediation Analysis Among Chinese University Students. Journal of Vocational Behavior (ABS: 4), 101, 32–42.
- Hou, Y.S., Yang, W., & Sun, Y.X. (2017). Do Pictures help? - The Effects of Pictures and Food Names on Menu Evaluations. International Journal of Hospitality Management (ABS: 3), 60, 94–103.
- Zhang, Z., & Hou, Y.S. (2017). The Effect of Perceived Risk on Information Search for Innovative Products and Services. Journal of Consumer Marketing (ABS: 1), Impact Factor 1.54, 34(3), 241-254.
- Sun, Y.X., Hou, Y.S., & Wyer, Robert S. (2015). Decoding the Opening Process. Journal of Consumer Psychology (ABS: 4*, FT50), 25(4), 642–649.
- Yang, W., Mattila, A., & Hou, Y.S. (2013). The effect of regulatory focus and delay type on consumers’ reactions to delay. International Journal of Hospitality Management (ABS: 3), 32, 113-120.
Book chapters and newspaper articles
- Lau, K.N., Hou, Y.S., & Ho, K.Y. (2014, November 11). Utilizing Technology to Promote Hong Kong Brands. Hong Kong Economic Journal, pp. B12 (in Chinese).
- Lau, K.N., Hou, Y.S., & Ho, K.Y. (2014, November 8). The New Consumer Trends under O2O. Hong Kong Economic Journal, pp. B1 (in Chinese).
- Hou, Y.S. (2013). “The Origin and Dissemination of Bubble Tea”, In: Yang, Q.H. (Ed), Cultural Inspection of Taiwan Food – the Formation and Cultural Construction of Taiwan Specialty Food. Central China Normal University Press, pp.165-194 (in Chinese).
- Guo, Y.J., Zhou, C., & Hou, Y.S. (2012). People’s Perception of the Social Impacts of the Beijing Olympic Games before and after 2008, In: Wolfgang Maennig & Andrew Zimbalist (Eds), International Handbook on the Economics of Mega Sporting Events. Edward Elgar Publishing, Northampton, MA, pp. 461-481.
Refereed conference presentations
- Cheng, Y.M., Hou, Y.S., & Mukhopadhyay, A. (2019). Qualifying the Sunk Cost Effect: How the Protestant Work Ethic Influences Overconsumption under Flat-Rate Pricing. ACR 50th Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, October 17-20.
- Cheng, Y.M., Hou, Y.S., & Mukhopadhyay, A. (2018). When virtuosity leads to vice: The protestant work ethic and fairness-induced overconsumption. Sustainable Development Workshop, Prato, Italy, June, 25-26.
- Hou, Y.S., Wang, L., & Chen, Z.X. (2019). Are rich and diverse emotions beneficial? The impact of emodiversity on tourists’ experiences. 2019 APacCHRIE & EuroCHRIE Joint Conference, Hong Kong, May 22 - 25.
- Hou, Y.S., & Liu, Y. (2019). The hidden effect of experiential consumption: Relieving us from feeling lonely. 2019 APacCHRIE & EuroCHRIE Joint Conference, Hong Kong, May 22 - 25.
- Cheng, Y.M., Hou, Y.S., & Mukhopadhyay, A. (2018). When virtuosity leads to vice: The protestant work ethic and fairness-induced overconsumption. SCP Boutique Conference Sydney, Sydney, January 4-5.
- Hou, Y.S., Sun, Y.X., Wan, Lisa C., & Wan, Y. (2015). Psychological contagion and visual boundaries: changing evaluations without contact. Association for Consumer Research Asia-Pacific Conference, Hong Kong, June 19-21.
- Sun, Y.X., Hou, Y.S., & Wyer, Robert S. (2015). Decoding the opening process. Association for Consumer Research Asia-Pacific Conference, Hong Kong, June 19-21.
- Sun, Y.X., Hou, Y.S., & Wyer, Robert S. (2014). Decoding the opening process. Annual Conference of China Marketing Science, Xia Men, China, November 15-16.
- Hou, Y.S., Yang, W., & Sun, Y.X. (2014). Will pictures help? - The effects of pictures and dish name type on menu evaluations. 2014 Annual conference of International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (CHRIE), San Diego, US, July 30-August 1.
- Hou, Y.S., Sun, Y.X., Wan, Lisa C., & Yang, W. (2014). The role of psychological contagion effect on menu items evaluations: A psychological study of menu design. 2014 Annual conference of International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (CHRIE), San Diego, US, July 30-August 1.
- Hou, Y.S., Sun, Y.X., & Wan, Lisa C. (2014). Psychological contagion and visual boundaries: changing evaluations without contact. Annual 2014 Society for Consumer Psychology (SCP) Winter Conference, Miami, Florida, US, March 7-8.
- Sun, Y.X., Hou, Y.S., & Wyer, Robert S. (2014). Decoding the opening process. Annual 2014 Society for Consumer Psychology (SCP) Winter Conference, Miami, Florida, US, March 7-8.
- Wang, Y.J., Shen, H., Zhu, X.L., & Hou, Y.S. (2014). Research on the influence mechanism of tourist destination micro-blog on users travel intention. The International Conference on Sustainable Tourism and Resilience in Urban Environments, Hong Kong, PRC, April 23-25.
- Zhou, C., Guo, Y.J., Hou, Y.S., & Deng,Q. (2011). An empirical study on people's perception of the social impacts of Beijing Olympic games before and after 2008. World Research Summit for Tourism and Hospitality, Hong Kong, PRC, Dec 10-13.
- Hou, Y.S., Guo, Y.J., & Zang, S.N. (2010). A study on tourism image perception model and its application: a case study of the American tourists’ perception of shanghai tourism image. The 15th Annual Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism. Washington, D.C., January 7-9.
Besides academic research, Dr Hou has been involved in a variety of industry projects and professional activities by using technology to assist making marketing strategies. The projects cover a diverse range of industries, including hotels, restaurants, online review platforms, and third-party Internet data service provider.