Student opportunity: Apply to be a Student VC - SBM student-led Social Venture Capital Fund Programme
Dr Joanne Zhang has now launched recruitment for the SBM student-led Social Venture Capital Fund Programme. The programme offers training to provide you with the fundamental knowledge and skills you need to jumpstart your venture capital journey, with support from industry mentors and faculty members.
SBM is launching a new social impact venture fund focusing on “start-ups for good”– an initiative to advise and invest in student-led social ventures in London. The fund is the first student-led social impact venture capital fund investing in social ventures in the UK. See webpage here.
The programme offers training to provide you with the fundamental knowledge and skills you need to jumpstart your venture capital journey, with support from industry mentors and faculty members. You will be learning by doing. The programme aims to enhance your entrepreneurial knowledge and skills, broaden your horizon, as well as help build your network for your future career.
Main roles and responsibilities
You will be advising and investing in real-life early-stage start-ups with a social mission, as well as engaging a wider community of entrepreneurs and investors in London and beyond. Once selected, you are expected to be an active member of the team for the academic year starting from August. As a Student VC, you will have the following duties/responsibilities:
- Searching, meeting and advising student founders.
- Due diligence, conducting company analysis including business model, market sizing and competitor research etc.
- Evaluating start-up pitches and make investment recommendations
- Building networks with social entrepreneurs and industry professionals.
- Working as a team to build and strengthen QM social venture fund reputation.
How to apply
Application deadline: 2nd July 2020, 4pm
- SBM undergraduate 2nd and 3rd year students for 2020/2021
- Highly motivated and passionate about entrepreneurship and making a real impact in the world.
- Teamwork oriented, enjoy working in an interdisciplinary team
- Creative mindset for problem-solving & framing.
- No prior venture capital/investment experience required though any entrepreneurial experience is a plus.
- The place is limited, and we aim to bring together a team with diverse knowledge and values.
1) Create a short video including the following information (2 minutes max, upload on YouTube and insert the link in your cover letter statement).
- Introducing yourself
- Why are you interested in becoming a student VC for our social venture fund?
- We are bringing together a cohort of people with diverse skills and abilities who can lean on and learn from one another -- how do you hope to contribute to the team?
2) In your cover letter statement, please answer the following two questions;
- Have you built or are building a start-up or a project? Please share one thing you’ve created that you’re really proud of. (250 words max)
- Which student-led social venture in the UK that you would invest, and why? This may be a start-up you have read about, or perhaps you know someone in your network that has started a company or might start a company that you would invest in. (250 words max)
3) Please attach a CV with your updated academic record.
We will contact you if you are shortlisted for the next round.