Professor Colin Haslam
This module is framed with the context of managing for value and how managerial and investor interests are aligned and reflected in accounting information for value creation and market value added and value for money. This module is concerned with how accounting numbers are employed at operational, divisional and organizational levels to control and drive value creation for market value added or value for money. It is a module which is concerned with how accounting information is deployed to control and direct corporate and non-corporate organizations towards generating value on invested funds whether these are public, private or state sponsored agencies.
40% coursework and 60% examination
Indicative reading list
- Abernathy, M. A, Bouwens, J and Van Lent. (2004) ‘’Determinants of control system design in divisionalised firms’, Accounting Review, 79(3): 545-570.
- Asher, C. C., J.M. Mahoney and J.T Mahoney. (2005) ‘Towards a property rights foundation for a stakeholder theory of the firm’, Journal of Management and Governance, (9):5-32.
- Bandy G, 2011, Financial management and accounting in the public sector, London: Routledge.
- Bezemer, D.J. (2010) ‘Understanding financial crisis through accounting models’ Accounting Organisations and Society, 35(7):676-688
- Bryant, J. (1989) ‘Assessing Company Strength Using Added Value”, Long Range Planning, 22 (3):34-44.
- Christophers, B. (2011) ‘Making finance productive’, Economy and Society, 40: (1): 112-140
- Coase, R.H. (1961) ‘The problem of social cost’, Journal of Law and Economics, 3: 1-44.
- Copeland, T., T.Koller and J Murrin (1990) Valuation: Measuring and managing the value of companies, John Wiley & Sons, New York
- Freeman, R.E., A. Wicks and B. Parmar. (2004) ‘Stakeholder Theory and ´The Corporate Objective Revisited’, Organizational Science, 15(3): 364-369.
- HM Government (2005) Better Accounting for the Taxpayer’s Money. The Governments Proposals: Cm 2929
- Hellowell, M and Polllock, A.M (2009) The Private Financing of NHS hospitals: Politics, Policy and Practice, Institute of Economic Affairs
- Jensen, M. C. (2002) ‘Value maximization, stakeholder theory and the corporate objective function’, Business Ethics Quarterly, 20(2): 235-256.
- Roslender, R., and S.Hart. (2003) ‘In search of strategic management accounting: theoretical and field study perspectives’, Management