Dr John Robson, MBBS MSc MD FRCGP
Clinical Reader in Primary Care Research & Development
Email: email@example.comTelephone: 020 7882 2479
John Robson qualified at St Marys Hospital Medical School, University of London and undertook an MSc/MD at the London School of Hygiene. He has been a GP in east London for 30 years at Chrisp Street Health Centre.
He has also been a senior lecturer at QMUL since 1989 since when he has been the clinical lead for the Clinical Effectiveness Group that has worked with local GPs and the PCT to improve disease management in a population of 800,000 people.
John Robson is a GP and clinical lead for the Clinical Effectiveness Group (CEG) based at QMUL, as well as a cardiovascular lead for Tower Hamlets PCT.
With Julia Hippisley-Cox and colleagues, I am an author of QRisk (10 year cardiovascular risk estimation) and QDScore (10 year risk of developing type 2 diabetes). I was chair of the NICE guideline on lipid modification and CVD risk estimation 2008-10. I have taken an active role in the London and NE Thames Cardiac Network and PCTs promoting improved care in particular for CVD and diabetes.
I have promoted the identification and delivery of equitable services by age, gender, and ethnic and social group. The local PCTs have been among the first to describe equity of delivery and individually self-reported ethnicity recording has been actively promoted and now covers 98% of people on disease registers and 85% of all adults. Data on social deprivation is also available.
- Clinical Effectiveness Module.
- BSc teaching
- Supervision of FY2 and academic GP attachments.
Cardiovascular disease and diabetes
Equity and delivery of primary care
Improvement in disease management
Recent and ongoing research projects:
- 2007-11 Health Equity project: Funded by the Health Foundation. Described equity of provision for CVD, diabetes and COPD. Taken up by local PCTs.
- QDScore: descriptive data from east London; Funded by PCTs
- Reducing self-monitoring of blood glucose in type 2 diabetes: Improvement project evaluation 3 PCTs.
- Improving anticoagulation in atrial fibrillation: Improvement project evaluation 3 PCTs.
- Improving GP referrals. Improvement project evaluation 3 PCTs.
- NHS Health Checks: Evaluation of implementation 3 PCTs.
- HiLo: RCT to improve disease management in people at high risk of CVD.
Hippisley-Cox J, Coupland C, Robson J, Sheikh A, Brindle P. Predicting risk of type 2 diabetes in England and Wales: prospective derivation and validation of QDScore. BMJ. 2009;338:b880. doi: 10.1136/bmj.b880
Hippisley-Cox J, Coupland C, Vinogradova Y, Robson J, May M, Brindle P. Derivation and validation of QRISK, a new cardiovascular disease risk score for the United Kingdom: prospective open cohort study. BMJ 335:136.
Atri J, Falshaw M, Gregg R, Robson J, Omar RZ, Dixon S. Improving uptake of breast screening in multiethnic populations: a randomised controlled trial using practice reception staff to contact non-attenders. BMJ. 1997;315:1356-9.
Atri J, Falshaw M, Linvingstone A, Robson J. Fair shares in health care? Ethnic and socioeconomic influences on recording of preventive care in selected inner London general practices. Healthy Eastenders Project. BMJ. 1996;312:614-7.
View all John Robson's Research Publications at: http://www.researchpublications.qmul.ac.uk