Skip to main content
Advisor Hub

Mental Health

Mental health 

Advisors dealing with students who present with mental health issues may feel pressurised to work beyond their capacity, but it is important that you look after your own wellbeing and keep firm boundaries with the student – a good example here is never to give out your personal phone number or a non-Queen Mary email address.

If you are feeling overwhelmed by what a student has told you, please speak to your School's student support officer or senior tutor who will be able to help you find the best source of support.

Changes in mental health become an issue when they are long term and effect the individual's ability to lead a normal life. If you notice behavioural changes in your advisee please discretely speak to them and make sure they are aware of the support offered by both the Advice and Counselling Service and the Disability and Dyslexia Service (see below).

For further training on Mental Health, Queen Mary offers a Mental Health First Aid Programme see Looking after yourself.

For more information about Mental Health First Aid at Queen Mary, please see this suite of pages on the Health and Safety website:

Student Wellbeing Services at Queen Mary

Mental health support at Queen Mary is largely split between two teams: the Advice and Counselling Service, and the Disability and Dyslexia Service. Both services are based in Student and Academic Services.

If you are worried about a student’s safety, e.g. they have disclosed active plans to take their own life or have said something that leads you to feel concerned for their safety (or someone else’s), please ring 999.

See for more information on support in a crisis.

Advice and Counselling Service

If you are concerned about a student’s mental health and would like to refer a student, please contact the Advice and Counselling Service and ask them to make an appointment with one of our Mental Health Advisers. Mental Health Advisers will see students presenting with a mental health crisis in terms of their immediate safety; they can also offer interventions with students with poor mental health e.g. sleep hygiene, anxiety management etc. You can do this by emailing  

As you would expect from the service’s name, the Advice and Counselling Service also has a long established counselling team. It is not possible to refer a student for counselling, as people must self-refer to access this strand of support. See for more information.

Disability and Dyslexia Service

If a student discloses that they have an existing mental health diagnosis you can also refer them to the Disability and Dyslexia Service (DDS). DDS can offer support in applying for the Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA) scheme, as well as accessing reasonable adjustments such as exam arrangements. Students with a mental health diagnosis can access the Disability Advisers (Mental Health) who are based in the Disability and Dyslexia Service. They can be reached on See for more information.

Back to top