Staff Environmental Sustainability Champions- Get Involved
Find out about getting involved as a Staff Environmental Sustainability Champion
Following the public commitment made by Queen Mary University of London to incorporate sustainability principles and practices throughout its core activities, the role of Environmental Sustainability Champion (ESC) was created.
Environmental Sustainability Champions are staff who have completed the IEMA Sustainability Skills for the Workforce Course and who volunteer their time to support to the University to improve its sustainability performance through the following:
- Create & maintain open channels for dialogue within workplaces
- Signpost colleagues towards the relevant services and initiatives where these already exist
- Promote the introduction of new behaviours & ideas for re-thinking and redesigning unsustainable activity in the workplace
- Ensure support is made available for developing and implementing green causes and initiatives at Queen Mary
- Assist in the ongoing assessment of existing processes & resources
- Encourage the improvement of existing measures to ensure sustainability is embedded and maximised by all staff
- Maintain awareness through active discussions around comparative sustainability goals of departments at QM, by sharing feedback received and departmental input
- Assist with enabling & empowering staff and students to make positive changes beyond their immediate work environment
- Help create a proactive environment that celebrates ongoing improvement, collecting feedback on issues and new initiatives for sharing across QM and beyond
ESCs meet every 1-2 months and report directly to QMUL’s Sustainability Committee, a group made up of representatives across the organisation who have a responsibility for delivering our environmental sustainability policy and environmental sustainability action plan (2020 - 2023).
If you would like to find out more information of how you get involved with the ESCs or would like to raise an issue for the group to discuss then email email@example.com