What is Reuse?
At the end of each semester the Students' Union and Residences teams run the Reuse Scheme, collecting donations of University essentials from departing students to give them a new life with students arriving the next semester. Since beginning in 2017 the scheme has grown and grown.
In May/June 2019 we collected over 1000 kg worth of items which are then given, free of charge, to new students at the beginning of the next semester, helping them financially and easing their transition into university.
By donating unwanted items to Reuse, students and staff can save perfectly usable stuff from going to waste. Your items will be given a new life, helping to reduce the University’s carbon footprint.
Since the introduction of the Reuse scheme in 2017 we have diverted 2300 kg of usable items and growing each year.
What will be collected?
- Clean crockery and kitchenware
- Other useful items (i.e. clothing hangers)
- Unopened, non-perishable food
- Toiletries (full & part bottles)
- Cleaning products
Drop Off Location & Times- Summer 2021
Residences Reception, Mile End Campus (Outside Santander Bank)-
- Tuesday 1st June – 10am - 3pm
- Wednesday 2nd June – 10am - 3pm
- Thursday 3rd June – 10am - 3pm
- Friday 4th June – 10am - 3pm
- Saturday 5th June – 10am - 3pm
- Sunday 6th June – 10am - 3pm
(donations will not be accepted outside these times)
What will NOT be collected?
Clothes & shoes
If you have any unwanted clothes, shoes or other accessories, please place them in the British Heart Foundation donation banks in the following locations:
- Near the Lock Keepers Cottage
- Between Maynard House and Varey House
- Between Beaumont Court and Creed Court
- Mile End library
- West Smithfield library
- Whitechapel library
Perishable foods, open non-perishable foods
Please donate to other residents who might be staying a bit longer or, ultimately, dispose them in the general waste bin.
You can expect to hear more about opportunities to donate each May, June and December and get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.