Queen Mary is a global leading university enhancing the regional, national and international agenda. We have a unique student, research and public engagement profile compared to any other university, pushing the boundaries of research and innovation and providing opportunities to individuals with talent and potential, irrespective of their background.
- Our history dates back to 1785, with the founding of England’s first medical school at the Royal London Hospital. Our roots can also be traced to the establishment of the People’s Palace in Mile End in 1887, which was designed to bring educational and cultural opportunities to the East End.
- We are a Russell Group university, operating across five campuses in London and at sites across Europe and Asia.
- We have close to 4,500 members of staff and more than 25,000 students.
- Our annual income is £428m, of which £144m is research income.
- Our students are drawn from 162 nationalities. Approximately 9 per cent are from the EU and 35 per cent are from non-EU overseas countries.
- Approximately 4,000 of our students are based offshore, predominately in China.
- The profile of our undergraduate students in London is distinctive for a Russell Group university (and any research-leading university across the world) - 91 per cent are from state school; 60 per cent are BAME; 42 per cent are first into Higher Education; and 27 per cent are from households where the annual taxable income is less than £10k.
- 18081 undergraduates, 6601 postgraduates, 448 study abroad and exchange students.
Research and innovation profile
- Queen Mary is a leading research-intensive university, and was ranked fifth in the UK for the quality of research outputs (i.e. at 3* and 4* level) in the REF2014 exercise.
- Citation evidence shows that our research is worldleading in a number of areas and we are ranked eighth in the UK and 42nd globally based on citation levels (THE World Rankings).
- We have a strong track-record on research spin-outs and student start-ups (e.g. Apatech spin-out, which was sold for $330m).
- Our Innovation Centre in Whitechapel supports drug discovery start-ups and has supported almost 440 FTE jobs.
- We have partnerships with major industrial firms such as Pfizer, IBM, and Huawei.
- International outlook pervades all areas of our activity – students, staff, education, research and partnerships.
- We are ranked in the top 25 institutions in the world for international outlook – based on proportion of international staff and students, citations and internationally co-authored papers (THE 2017).
Public and community engagement
- We were the first UK university to receive the Gold Watermark from the National Co-ordinating Centre for Public Engagement.
- Public and community engagement is integrated into our research activity, and not just seen as an output.
- We are highly engaged with our community and as an anchor institution we are working to address some of the significant and long-standing challenges found in our region, as well as helping to realise the many opportunities.
Skills, aspirations and social capital
- We are a Russell Group institution based in east London, teaching across the full disciplinary spectrum.
- Our curriculum is constantly changing to broaden the UG experience, build social capital and enhance prospects on graduation, allowing graduates to make a positive societal impact.
- We were the first Russell Group institution to deliver Degree Apprenticeship programmes and remain at the forefront of this type of delivery.
- We sponsor two local Multi Academy Trusts, which have both seen rapid improvement in pupil outcomes.