The QMUL Lipid Mediator Unit is a QMUL Core Service that provides the instrumentation and expertise to investigate endogenous protective mechanisms that may become disregulated in disease with a focus on bioactive lipid mediators (Figure 1).
The Unit utilizes state of the art Liquid Chromatography Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS-MS; Figure 2) based techniques to identify and quantify bioactive lipid mediators (LM), their precursors and pathway markers in biological systems. The Unit also utilizes LC-MS-MS based techniques to identify and quantify both known and novel further metabolites for each of the bioactive mediators. Together these provide an insight into the resolution status of the biological system(s) being investigated (e.g. cell incubations, organs, tissues etc), protective pathways that become dysregulated during disease as well as potential novel therapeutic leads.
- Contact us prior to your experiment to discuss procedures and sample preparations
- Record tissue weight, cell counts and/or sample volumes
- Snap freeze your samples immediately after collection
- Avoid freeze/thawing your samples
- Storage controls need to be provided for any samples stored for extensive period of time
- Phenol red free media should be used in all in vitro experiments – we cannot process tissues and cell culture samples containing phenol red.
- Complete the analysis request form – instructions on how to complete this will be provided once you contact us to discuss your specific interests.
- Then co-ordinate with members of the Unit to submit your samples and we will do the rest