Undergraduate menu

Finance on the international exchange programme


Please refer to pages 33-34 of the undergraduate funding brochure produced by Advice & Counselling:
General information for funding undergraduate studies for full-time Home and EU students can be found here  
Information for international students can found here
Tuition Fees
You will continue to pay tuition fees to Queen Mary for the period of study overseas.
If you study abroad for the full academic year, the tuition fee will be 15% of the full-time rate for students who qualify for the ‘Home/EU’ tuition fee classification at QMUL. Students who have been classified as ‘Overseas’ for tuition fee purposes at QMUL and go abroad for the full academic year will pay 50% of the full-time rate. If you are going abroad for part of an academic year (one semester), and you will be spending at least ten weeks at QMUL, you will be liable for 100% of the QMUL tuition fee. You will not pay an additional tuition fee to the overseas institution. Students who are funded by Student Finance England can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to pay for this, if you are normally eligible for one. Student Finance make available additional funds (eg, to assist in travel costs). Please see the Living Costs section for further details.
You should contact any other bodies involved with your finances to see how participation on the programme may affect their contribution. You should make sure the funding body is aware that the work done abroad will be an integral part of your QMUL degree programme.

Living Costs

All living costs such as travel, accommodation, living expenses, health insurance, campus charges etc must be met by the student.
There is a special overseas rate of Maintenance Loan; in 2016/17 the maximum amount is £9391 if you started your course in 2016. If you are studying abroad, once you have applied for Student Finance you should get sent a Course Abroad Form by SFE. Take this to the Student Enquiry Centre, ground floor Queens’ Building to be completed. The SEC will let you know when the form is ready to collect, and you will then need to send it back to SFE so they can process your application. Providing you apply to SFE on time (by 27 June 2016), you will automatically receive your first Student Finance instalment 25 working days before the course start date. The second and third instalments of your Student Finance will be paid at the start of QMUL Semester 2 and the exam period. QMUL can ask SFE to bring forward the first instalment of your Student Finance if you are required to travel abroad to start your study more than 25 working days before the start of the QMUL academic year. Also, in certain countries the academic year runs across two semesters rather than three, in which case QMUL can ask SFE to pay your second and third instalments together. In some countries, you may be required to show that you have the money to support yourself financially for the whole year before you are allowed into the country. In these instances, SFE will pay the full amount of Student Finance for the year on your first instalment date (unless quested otherwise). As only the university can make requests to SFE for special payment arrangements, please contact the Student Enquiry Centre if you need advice about this: email or call 020 7882 5079 or go to the ground floor of the Queens’ Building.
If you are eligible to receive a Queen Mary Bursary, you can receive this during your study abroad year as long as you continue to be eligible for income assessed Student Finance.


Participation in these exchanges will almost certainly cost more than remaining at Queen Mary for the year; estimated living costs, based on information provided by exchange institutions are given below. Students' experiences suggest that these figures tend to be on the low side. Please note that the exchange university will not provide the required documentation for obtaining your visa unless you can demonstrate that you have access to the recommended amount of funds (personal savings, family support, Student Finance etc). Therefore if you receive Student Finance, you should apply as early as possible so that you have evidence of this in good time for your visa application.
All figures quoted are for guidance only and refer only to expenses likely to be incurred by a full-time student living and studying abroad. These figures do not include the costs of air travel or expenses you may incur in between semesters (e.g. accommodation and travel). Feedback from previous students would suggest that you should budget for £1,500 – £2,000 on top of these amounts.

Travel Grants

If you are studying abroad you can apply for an income assessed travel grant from Student Finance England for reasonable travel costs incurred attending an overseas institution as part of the course (this means buying the most cost effective tickets for the most economical form of transport). You can be reimbursed for up to three return journeys from the UK to the overseas institution or workplace during a full academic year abroad. You cannot claim for the first £303 you spend. You may also be able to claim for the costs of visas, medical insurance, and a mandatory medical.
To apply, you need to complete the SFE Travel Abroad Expenses form, which SFE will automatically send you if you are eligible to apply. You will be asked to provide evidence to support your travel expenses claims, showing proof of payment and confirmation of what you purchased, for example an e-receipt for payment of flights.
You can apply for a Travel Grant at any time during the academic year, and you won’t have to wait until your next instalment of Student Finance to be paid the Travel Grant.   

Application information

As part of the application process, you will need to demonstrate that you have access to sufficient finances to support yourself for the period of your exchange programme. The host university will specify an amount they estimate you will need to survive as a full-time student at their institute. You will be asked to provide evidence to prove you have the funding. Only when this has been received and verified by the host university will they issue you with the document that you will need to apply for a visa.

The evidence required will depend on how you will be funding your exchange programme:

• Students who support themselves will need to provide bank statements or bank letters to confirm they have sufficient savings.
• Students who will be supported by family or friends will need to provide bank statements/letters from their guarantors.
• Students who will be using student loans need to provide letters from the relevant authority confirming the amount of funding available.
Please note you cannot use evidence of future potential earnings for this purpose. Whatever the source, the funds should be available at the time of completing the host university’s forms.

Your student visa will allow you to work a maximum of twenty hours per week. In the US, the employment must be on campus. Any work done must not conflict with your academic programme of study. Your host institute will advise you on employment opportunities upon arrival.

Go abroad finance sheet [.docx 14 KB]


Contact Information

Harry Gibney ( will provide all students with details of any sources of funding that are available to students participating on the international exchange programme.

Return to top