Are you highly motivated with a record of exceptional achievement or extraordinary potential? Looking for a fellowship to take your research to the next level? If you are interested in applying to one of the many externally funded fellowship schemes available, then we can offer expert help with your application. Once here, we offer you outstanding support in your development as a future research leader.
Help with your application
- Expert advice: you will be able to consult academics who have an excellent track record of mentoring successful fellowship applicants. Many of them chair, or are members of, selection panels of national funding bodies.
- Writing your application: you will be able to discuss your research ideas in detail and gain advice and feedback at the draft stage of writing your application.
- Mock interviews: you will be able to go through a mock interview and get valuable feedback on your performance.
Your future development
You will be joining a flourishing centre of excellence, one where you will be supported every step of the way as you integrate into the life of the College. We also take your future development seriously, you can expect the following:
- Mentor: you will be assigned a mentor (a senior member of academic staff) who will assist with your integration into your chosen School / Institute. Expert advice will be offered on your development as a future research leader (including publishing and grant applications), as well as how to achieve the right balance between your research and other activities.
- Building your research profile: you will be able discuss possible collaborative opportunities with existing academic staff, including how to develop your own independent research group.
- Teaching: although research is the main focus of a fellowship, opportunities to teach at both undergraduate and postgraduate level are available for interested individuals. You will also be able to take advantage of Queen Mary's teaching and learning programme, which provides invaluable training for future lecturers.
- Career development: You are encouraged to participate in our nationally renowned career development programme targeted at research staff. This includes sessions on 'developing your academic career' and 'grant funding'. Our leadership and management programme for academic staff (Institute of Leadership and Management endorsed) has specific elements that are focused on early career academic staff. We also provide media training and advice on public engagement through our Centre for Public Engagement.
- Progress: an annual review with your mentor will allow you to assess future options, identify development needs and capitalise on opportunities.
- Progression: We aim to prepare all fellows for the next stage of their career. Junior fellows are assisted in their applications for more senior fellowships.
If you are interested in applying for a fellowship based at Queen Mary, or have an existing fellowship and would like to transfer here, please contact:
Dr Ian Forristal
Development Adviser for Research Staff
Tel: (0)20 7882 2812