- School/Institute/Department: School of Economics and Finance, Faculty of Humanities and the Social Sciences
- Subjects: Tech Start-ups, Law, Finance, Business Consultancy
- Audience: Entrepreneurs, Businesses, Technology Sector
qNomics provides free financial guidance to tech start-up companies and entrepreneurs delivered by students of economics and law, supported by professional advisers from KPMG, one of the world’s leading professional services companies, and Bovill – a consultancy service specialising in compliance and financial regulation.
In the initial recruitment phase of the project 12 student advisors were selected from 110 undergraduate and postgraduate applications. The advisors provide free financial guidance on:
- Market strategy - Advice on how to bring your products into market, and insights into relevant sector.
- Business planning - Practical advice on appropriate steps to take in order to grow the business.
- Accounting - Practical advice and best practice on how to manage financials.
- Funding - Assistance on investor pitch decks, pitching advice, introduction to relevant people in the network subject to readiness of the business.
- Regulatory compliance
Advice provision involves an appointment with two qNomics advisers, along with a qualified practitioner to develop an understanding of the project and the nature of the enquiry. This information is then used to develop written advice sent to clients within three weeks of the initial appointment, checked by a qualified practitioner.
The clients that qNomics work with cover a broad range of organisations, from start-ups at the initials stages of business to entrepreneurs who have a ready product. In their first 5 months of operation qNomics has received over 20 applications requesting their services, including developers of software, apps, websites and online community platforms.
Building upon their initial success qNomics expects to increase its capacity from 12 to 16-18 students from the 2016 - 2017 academic year and are investigating opportnities to work closer with the community to work with local centres to assist individuals with general questions related to finance.
You can view more information and book an appointment on the qNomics website.