Our diverse social environment between east London and the City offers exceptional research, teaching and clinical opportunities.
Professor Richard Charles Trembath, Warden Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry
School of Medicine and Dentistry highlights for postgraduate students
- There are 800 postgraduate students, 500 research staff.
- £123m turnover and annual research grant over £46m.
- The Barts Cancer Institute (BCI) is one of the top five cancer research centres in the UK (RAE 2008 UK Government ranking), and is 1 of 13 Cancer Research UK ‘centres of excellence’.
- Dentistry ranked 2nd in the UK in the last RAE (Times Higher Education); outstanding results across the rest of the School, consistently placed all institutes in the top five in London.
- Strategic partnerships with linked NHS and Hospital trusts including Barts and The London NHS Trust, Homerton, Newham, Whipps Cross and Queens’ (Romford) mean that the School’s research and teaching is informed by an exceptionally wide ranging clinical environment.
- The School was appointed to lead a £4.7m Policy Research Unit dedicated to research in cancer screening, symptom awareness and early diagnosis, with funding provided over five years by the Department of Health’s Policy Research Programme.
- The School leads an innovative Health Innovation and Education Cluster (HIEC) on behalf of North East London Health (which includes all NHS bodies in NE London). The HIEC focuses on research and pioneering new approaches for treatments of common diseases.
- Our forward-thinking approach to collaboration has led to some exciting opportunities: from partnerships with higher education institutes in India to a joint project with the School of Engineering and Computer Science exploring the role of risk assessment in the management of traumatic injury.
Research institutes in the School of Medicine and Dentistry
Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry is made up of six institutes: