New students menu

FAQs for new students

If you’re feeling a bit confused by information overload, try looking at our frequently asked questions to see if you can find the answers to your queries.

Staff will be on hand to help you throughout Welcome Week and beyond, and there will be a dedicated Information Point in Library Square at the Mile End campus from Friday 15 to Friday 22 September. If you can’t find the information you need here, please contact the Student Enquiry Centre:


Where do I go to enrol?

Enrolment takes place in the Octagon in the Queens’ Building at the Mile End campus – number 19 on the campus map.

When can I enrol?

Early enrolment: You can book an early enrolment slot via the MySIS pre-enrolment task. Slots are available:

  • Friday 15 September, 9am-5pm
  • Saturday 16 September, 9am-6pm
  • Sunday 17 September, 9am-6pm

Programme enrolment: Details of the dates and times for programme/Welcome Week enrolment can be found on the new students’ webpages:

You will be emailed an individual time to enrol within the specified programme enrolment slot and must attend at the allotted time.

  • Monday 18 September, 9am-6pm
  • Tuesday 19 September, 9am-6pm
  • Wednesday 20 September, 9am-6pm
  • Enrolment for postgraduate research students takes place on Monday 25 September

What do I need to take to enrolment?

In order for you to become fully enrolled you need to make sure that you bring everything that is listed on your pre-enrolment certificate. Students who are unable to supply all of the required documentation listed on their pre-enrolment certificate may be offered temporary enrolment. Find a list of everything you need to bring on the new students’ site:

I’m going to miss my enrolment slot – what do I do?

Late/temporary enrolment: If you have missed your allotted enrolment time or want to resolve ‘temporary’ enrolment status, you can attend late enrolment at the times below. No appointment is necessary.

  • Thursday 21 September, 10am-5pm
  • Friday 22 September, 10am-5pm
  • Monday 25 September, 1-5pm
  • Tuesday 26 – Friday 29 September, 10am-5pm

Where do I go to get my student ID card?

At the Enrolment Centre, your photograph will be taken and your student ID card will be produced for you there and then. This card will grant you access to buildings, you can use it to join the gym and, if you are fully enrolled, it will let you loan books from the Library. Please note that if you are temporarily enrolled, you will not be able to loan books until you are fully enrolled.

Induction sessions

Where do I go for my programme introduction session?

You should have received information directly from your school or institute about induction events during Welcome Week. Induction schedules can also be found on the programme introduction page on the new student website:

Please contact your school/institute student office if you have queries about the timing, content or your attendance at these events.

If you are a joint honours student, we encourage you to follow the induction schedule for your home school and attend events in your other school as necessary/specified. Most schools try to avoid clashes but if there are issues, please contact your home school office first to resolve this.

I’m an international/EU student – where do I need to go for induction?

We run a specific welcome programme for international, EU students and study abroad/associate/Erasmus students.

International and EU students:

The International Welcome Programme takes place on Monday 18 and Tuesday 19 September, starting with the opening welcome talk at 9.30am on 18 September in the Great Hall in the People’s Palace (number 16 on the Mile End campus map). The programme covers immigration advice, a speed meet to get to know other students, study guidance, language support, life in London and working in the UK. You can find the full schedule at

Book your place on the International Welcome Programme:

I’m an associate/Erasmus / study abroad student – where do I need to go for induction?

If you are on a programme of six months or less, there is a separate induction programme for you:

Monday 18 September, 12.50-4.45pm: Orientation for Associate Students in the Great Hall, People’s Palace, Mile End campus (attendance is mandatory for all associate students).

Tuesday 19 September, 1-2pm: Discussions from academic schools in the Great Hall, People’s Palace, Mile End campus (attendance is not mandatory, but is strongly recommended for all associate students). Find the full schedule at:


Where do I go to pay my tuition and/or housing fees?

You can pay your fees at the Cashier’s Office on the first floor of the Queens’ Building – number 19 on the Mile End campus map.

The office will be open:

Saturday 16 September, 8.30am-6pm

Sunday 17 – Friday 22 September, 7.30am-6pm

You can also pay online at

More information on paying residential fees is available at:

My student loan hasn’t come through – what do I do?

If you have applied for your Student Finance, but it is has not been processed by the start of the academic year, there are a number of ways that QMUL can help. Visit the Advice and Counselling Service website to find out more:

Where can I find information on budget planning?

The Advice and Counselling Service has lots of useful tips and information on planning a budget and managing your  money: 

Where can I find financial advice?

The Advice and Counselling Service can provide financial advice for all students. For example, they can help if your funding is delayed, if you can’t get funding, if you think you don’t have enough money, or if you can’t pay your tuition fees. They also produce a number of advice guides, including:

Undergraduate funding 2016 onwards starters (Home and EU)

Postgraduate funding

Additional sources of funding for home and EU undergraduates


Where can I pick up the key for my room in QMUL halls of residence?

Details of the key collection points are available on the Residences arrivals page:

Where can I drop off my stuff?

If you are planning to arrive on campus by car, please note that there is no car parking on campus. You will be able to drive onto campus, but we ask that you unload your vehicle within 30-45 minutes and then move off campus to park. Whilst your vehicle is on campus you must display the ticket given to you by the Security Officer at the gate and the car driver must remain with the vehicle at all times. We ask that you unload your vehicle as quickly as possible and then move off campus to park your vehicle. Volunteers will be on hand to help you with your things.

I don’t have accommodation arranged – who can help?

Please visit Housing Services, located in The Housing Hub, Feilden House, Westfield Way, Mile End campus, or call +44 (0)20 7882 6473.


Where do I go to register with a doctor?

There is a free Student Health Service available on campus. If you will be living in QMUL accommodation at Mile End or Whitechapel, or living in the borough of Tower Hamlets (E1, E2, E3 and E14), you are encouraged to register. If you are living in Dawson Hall at the Charterhouse Square campus or outside Tower Hamlets and are eligible for free NHS treatment, you should register with a doctor close to where you live. A list of local doctors is available here.

We also advise that you get immunised against meningitis before arriving at QMUL, as young adults are at higher risk from the disease.

I have a disability – who should I contact?

The Disability and Dyslexia Service offers support for all students with disabilities, specific learning difficulties and mental health issues at QMUL.

I have mental health concerns – who can I contact?

The Mental Health Coordinator and Mental Health and Autistic Spectrum Disorder Adviser are the first point of contact if you are experiencing mental health issues at any stage during your studies.

If you have concerns about your mental health, please the Disability and Dyslexia Service to make an appointment:

Our Advice and Counselling Service also provides a range of specialist, professional and confidential services to support you with financial, welfare, legal, emotional and psychological issues. They also have lots of information about looking after your emotional wellbeing while at university:

I want to find out more about staying healthy as a student – where do I go?

During Welcome Week, we are holding a wellbeing hub on Wednesday 20 and Thursday 21 September at the Mile End campus – visit the Information Point in Library Square to find out more.

You can also get advice and support from our Student Health Service:


Where do I go to collect my biometric residence permit (BRP)?

When completing your visa application, you will have nominated a post office from which to collect your BRP (the nearest one to QMUL is in Whitechapel). You will need to check the opening times of the nominated branch on the post office website:

BRP collections walks have been organised throughout the week as part of the International Welcome Programme – listen out for announcements during the Monday morning Welcome talk, or meet at the following times outside the People’s Palace (number 16 on the Mile End campus map):

Monday 18 September, 2pm
Tuesday 19 September, 10am and 2pm
Wednesday 20 September, 10am and 2pm
Thursday 21 September, 10am and 2pm
Friday 22 September, 10am and 2pm

My visa is delayed – what shall I do?

The Advice and Counselling Service has information on what to do if your visa is delayed:

If you have been waiting longer for your visa to be processed than the UK Visas and Immigration service standard, you can contact our Advice and Counselling Service via the web form and they can contact the Home Office on your behalf to see if anything can be speeded up.

Where can I find more information on immigration issues?

Visit the immigration pages on the Advice and Counselling website:

I’m an international student – do I need to register with the Police?

Depending on your nationality and the length of time you will be staying in the UK, you may be required to register with the Police, as a condition of your immigration permission. Find out if this applies to you:

If you are required to register with the Police, you must do so within seven days of arriving in the UK, or if you are required to collect a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) after arriving in the UK, you must register with the Police within seven days of collecting it. You can register with the Police before or after collecting your BRP. If you register before collecting your BRP, you must take your Home Office letter, approving your visa application, which was issued to you abroad.

You will need to register at the Overseas Visitors Records Office. QMUL has been given 500 appointments for our students between 23 and 26 October. This means you can book to attend an appointment at a specific time to avoid queuing and having to register within seven days of arriving. Book an appointment through Eventbrite:

Find out how more about Police registration here:

IT information and support

Where can I get IT support?

The IT Service Desk is the first point of contact for all IT help and support. You can call the IT Service Desk 24/7 on 020 7882 8888 or raise an online ticket by emailing You can visit the IT team in room W209 in the Queens’ Building at the Mile End campus from 8am-6pm, Monday to Friday.

During Welcome Week, you can find the IT team in the libraries at the Mile End and Whitechapel campuses. They can help with any questions you have about your IT account and getting online.

You can find out more about IT at QMUL at:

How do I connect to Wi-Fi?

The eduroam Wi-Fi service provides internet access not only in QMUL but in academic institutions across the UK and in 50 countries around the world, with the same QMUL username and password.

  • Select eduroam from the list of Wi-Fi networks
  • Enter your QMUL username in the format (eg
  • Enter your password

Check with IT (see above) if you’re not sure of your username.

More information on Wi-FI is available on the IT Services site:


When can I visit the library?

The opening times for the Mile End and Whitechapel libraries are:

Moving-in Weekend (Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 September):

Mile End Library open 9am-8pm
Whitechapel Library open 1-8pm
Welcome Week (Monday 18 to Friday 22 September):
Mile End Library open 24/7
Whitechapel open 8.30am-midnight

You can find more information on opening times during term-time, as well as details of the library at the West Smithfield campus, at:

How do I find my way around the library?

Library tours provide an introduction to the collections, facilities and services and are a great way to get started using the library.

Mile End library tours:
Tours of the Mile End Library will be available every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour. Limited places are available on each tour, so if all the slots have gone, you will be offered the next available slot. See the timetable for times, dates and links to book a tour:

Whitechapel library tours
Tours will run daily at 1pm during Welcome Week (18-22 September) from the Whitechapel Library Welcome Desk. No advance booking required.

Events and activities

Where can I find out what’s going on?

There are a range of different events taking place during Welcome Week and beyond to introduce you to the campus, the local area and London. Our full events listing of everything going on over Welcome Week and beyond is available on the new students’ site:

Where can I buy tickets to events?

Tickets for all Welcome Week events can be bought and picked up from the Students’ Union Hub at the Mile End campus – number 34 on the Mile End campus map.

You can book tickets for the walking tours and the international boat part online at:

Tickets for Students’ Union events can be bought online at Tickets booked online can be collected from the Students’ Union Hub.


Where can I find information?

From Friday 15 September to Friday 22 September, you can find our friendly and welcoming staff at our information point in Library Square at the Mile End campus. The info point will be open from 9am-5pm daily.

Visit the Information Point in Library Square to pick up your Welcome Guide with all the necessary information on starting at QMUL, as well as activities during Moving-in Weekend and Welcome Week.

You can also visit the new students’ website:

Where do I go to get my student ID card?

You will receive your student card when you get enrolled – take a look at the enrolment information above.

How do I contact Security?

The Security team is available 24 hours a day on campus and their aim is to provide a safe and welcoming environment to all students, staff and guests while ensuring a security for all buildings, grounds and contents.

The Security Service team comprises 50 male and female in-house Security Officers on a rotating day and night shift pattern with fully operational Security Control Rooms at the Mile End, Whitechapel and Charterhouse Square campuses. All security officers are identifiable by their navy blue QMUL Security uniform and are in direct contact with the Security Control Rooms via two-way radio communication.

In case of emergency, please dial 020 7882 3333 (internal extension 3333).

Security Control Rooms

The Security Control Rooms are your first point of contact. They operate continuously so a Security Officer will always be available to receive your query.

Mile End - Ground Floor, France House
Tel: 020 7882 5000 Email:

Whitechapel - Garrod Building, Room G.07
Tel: 020 7882 2599

Charterhouse Square - Dawson Hall, front entrance
Tel: 020 7882 6020

Where can I go to get something to eat or drink?

We have a variety of cafes, shops and restaurants on campus – you can find a list here:

There are also plenty of options in the areas surrounding our campuses. Find out more about the local area at or download our Student’s Guide to East London.

Where do I find travel information?

The easiest way to get to and from QMUL is to walk or use public transport. You can find maps for all our campuses here and on the QMUL app (search for ‘QMUL’ in your app store).

Information on other forms of transport, including the underground, trains and cycling, is available at:

Where do I go for additional support?

If you require additional support – for example if you are from a care background, are otherwise not in contact with your family, or you are a refugee or asylum seeker, please get in contact with our Advice and Counselling Service:

If you feel you need more emotional support, for example if you’re experiencing homesickness, loneliness, difficulties settling in, then please contact the Advice and Counselling Service:

They also provide online information on looking after your emotional wellbeing:

Return to top