This page introduces you to all the essential pre-arrival information and guidance we will send you before you begin your studies at QMUL, so you can get off to a flying start.
Countdown to QMUL
Our fortnightly Countdown newsletter gives you step-by-step advice and instructions to help you prepare for your time at QMUL.
We send the newsletters to you from April, if you are joining us for the autumn semester, or from October if you are joining us for the spring semester. You will only start receiving your newlstters once you have an offer to study with us. Please review all issues of the newsletter to ensure you don't miss any important information.
You can find links to Countdown Newsletters listed here once we begin sending them for the semester ahead, as well as receiving an emailed copy to your inbox.
As an Erasmus+ ICM student on exchange, you are eligible to apply for accommodation on QMUL’s Mile End campus with Residences by their deadline. (You’ll be sent more information on this in our Countdown newsletters). Please also visit the dedicated Accommodation page for incoming Erasmus+ ICM students.
Visas and immigration
Our Advice and Counselling Service has the latest immigration information and can guide you through the process. Find out more here. Please also visit the dedicated Visas and immigration page for incoming Erasmus+ ICM students.
One of the many strengths of our academic programme is its flexibility. Our Countdown newsletters will give you details of the modules that are available, so you can pre-register for them before you arrive. You can also find out more on our Academic Information page for your programme. Module registration opens in May/June for autumn semester students and early November for spring semester. We will contact you prior to this via email with full details.
Free airport pickup from Heathrow Airport
We arrange a free bus service to QMUL for all our new EU and students who arrive at Heathrow on our specified arrival dates. Our Countdown newsletter will give you more information. You can also find out more here.
For information on living costs, please visit our Advice and Counselling Service’s page Planning a budget and managing your money.
Our Arrivals Guide is your essential guide to living and studying at QMUL. The Spring 2018 version can be downloaded here: Arrivals Guide ( [PDF 4,592KB]
We will also send you a PdF version in your Countdown Newsletter - you'll be given a hard copy of the Guide at the Welcome Progamme when you arrive, so you don't have to pack it.
The Arrivals Guide for Autumn/Full Year 2018/19 will be available in August 2018. In the meantime, if you have any questions about joining us or about life in the UK, please email us at: email@example.com
Your Pre-arrival checklist
- Accept your offer to study at QMUL (and supply any further required information if you were made a Conditional offer)
- Apply for University accommodation as soon as possible and by the deadline indicated by Residential Service (if you are eligible and want to stay on campus)
- Read all Countdown Newsletters sent to you via email
- Join us on social media, read our student blogs, watch our videos to find out more about life at QMUL
- Submit your module choices online when Module Registration opens, with the approval of your home institution’s academic advisor to ensure your selected modules will count toward your home degree
- Sign your accommodation contract online
- Apply for your visa (if applicable) only after you have received an Unconditional offer of admission.
- Complete all required contractual Erasmus+ ICM Programme documentation as specified in the checklist sent by the Global Opportunities Office in order to be eligible to receive the first instalment of your Erasmus+ ICM Programme grant (if applicable)
- Plan your travel to London and to QMUL
- Book your airport collection service to QMUL (if you want to join)
- Read all correspondence (including the Countdown newsletters) from QMUL carefully
- Pre-enrol online
- Plan your budget
- Prepare for your studies – read any emails from academic schools and complete any actions
- Read through your online Arrivals Guide
- Download the QMUL App - here you can access timetables (when available) and lots of useful information
- Pack your suitcase and hand luggage, including the hard copy of your offer letter of admission from the Global Opportunities Office
- Arrive in London and move into your accommodation
- Join us at the Welcome Programme at QMUL!
- Complete police registration (if required) for your nationality/country of origin/visa status
- Receive the second instalment of your Erasmus+ ICM Programme support grant (if applicable)