The College is required by law to comply with the Data Protection Act, 1998. As such, information is
- processed fairly and lawfully and shall not be processed unless certain conditions are met
- obtained for specified and lawful purposes and not further processed in a manner incompatible with that purpose
- adequate, relevant and not excessive
- accurate and where necessary up to date
- kept for no longer than necessary
- processed in accordance with data subjects' rights
- protected by appropriate security
- not transferred without adequate protection
All graduates (regardless of whether you will attend the ceremony or not) should note the following:
- Your name (as registered with the College) will be printed in the University's graduation ceremony programme. This is distributed to all those attending the ceremony. Please note that your degree classification will not be printed, unless you are awarded a First Class Honours, Merit or a Distinction.
- Your name will be printed on the University's 'Class of 2013' T-shirt.
If you object to the publication of your personal data as described above, please alert the Events Office in writing before Friday 31 May 2013. You can email your objection to email@example.com or write to us at:
The Events Office
Queen Mary, University of London
Mile End Road
During the ceremony
Graduates, guests and staff should be aware the following aspects of a ceremony are considered a mandatory condition of your attendance:
- Your name and award title will be read out at the ceremony immediately prior to walking across the stage. Your degree classification will not be read out unless you have received First Class Honours or a Distinction.
- You will be filmed at the ceremony and for the official graduation video/DVD, which will be available for sale online. Footage may also be used by Queen Mary, University of London for publicity purposes.
- Crowd shots will be taken by our contracted photographers, which may include images of yourself and your guests.
During the ceremonies and receptions, our contracted photographers will be present. They will be using the opportunity to take individual and group shots to be used on the Queen Mary website, for future graduation brochures and booklets and for marketing and promotion in the UK and overseas.
Personal data supplied to the Events Office when you book your ceremony tickets will also be passed on to the Alumni Relations team which will manage your ongoing relationship with the College.
If you require more information, have any queries or need further advice regarding the use of your personal data for graduation purposes, you can email the Events Office on firstname.lastname@example.org.