Welcome to Queen Mary, University of London
We hope you are inspired by A Day in the Life of Queen Mary.
The past year has been especially exciting for us – we joined the Russell Group of leading UK universities, testament to our enduring excellence in research and teaching; we were at the centre of this summer’s memorable sporting and cultural events; and we also celebrated the 125th anniversary of the People’s Palace.
My students are a clever, talkative, argumentative and bubbly cross-section of Britain, Europe and the wider world, with their own histories to tell. In choosing Queen Mary, they have opted for the city over the suburb. I thoroughly relate to that.
Amanda Vickery, Professor of Early Modern History
What makes us special:
- Over 2,000 of our students call Queen Mary home: we are the only university in central London with a completely self-contained residential campus. This means that there are over 2,000 students living where they study, creating a unique community feel.
- Educating the brightest and best for over 125 years: we started out in Mile End in 1887 as the People’s Palace, a philanthropic centre bringing education and culture to east London. We remain true to these roots, ensuring the brightest students receive a first-class education, regardless of their economic or social background.
- Excellent record on graduate employability: spanning the arts and social sciences, medicine and dentistry, and science and engineering, our courses place great emphasis on preparing students for professional life. Our graduates are consistently in the top ten for highest starting salaries in the UK (The Sunday Times).
- Our students are the most satisfied among London’s Russell Group Universities: in the 2012 National Student Survey, 87 per cent of our undergraduates expressed 'overall satisfaction' with their time here – that’s above the national average and the best among the Russell Group universities in London for the second year in a row.
- Over £250m invested in new facilities: we offer an exceptional environment for learning and research. From some of the largest open-plan laboratories in Europe in the Blizard Building at Whitechapel, to our recently opened £21m ArtsTwo Building and award-winning student village at Mile End, we have some of the most exciting architecture of any university in the UK.
- Ranked 11th in the UK for research quality: we recruit the best academics in their disciplines from around the world and our teaching is directly inspired by their world-leading research. The most recent Research Assessment Exercise (RAE 2008) confirmed our place in the very top group of universities, with the Guardian ranking us 11th in the UK for the quality of our work.
Our lecturers are deeply involved with the topics they teach. It is a source of inspiration and wonder to be on the very edge of our understanding of nature, and this was conveyed expertly on diverse topics such as protein structure, neuroscience and genetics.
Silas Mellor, BSc Biochemistry