menu

Blizard Institute

Teaching menu

The Basis of Gastro-Intestinal Disease (ICMM933/941)

Module co-ordinators:

Prof Nick Croft, n.m.croft@qmul.ac.uk

Dr David Bulmer, d.bulmer@qmul.ac.uk

You will study:

The scientific basis of GI diseases (clinical anatomy, embryology, physiology, histology, microbiology). 

Applied immunology, cell biology, molecular biology relevant to the GI tract.

Human genetics and its application to GI diseases.

Principles of investigating GI diseases: advantages, disadvantages and applications including radiological, nuclear medicine, endoscopy, physiological, pH studies, impedance and breath tests.

  • Explain the basic principles and practicalities of research in patients, including designing and running of a clinical trial.
  • Determine the evidence base for a clinical problem (e.g. a treatment). 
  • Find, review, assess and present clinical and scientific research papers.

One examination lasting 2 hours. This module exam is worth 60% of the mark for the module, with the remaining 40% constituted by coursework, which will be set at the start of the module. The coursework assignment [essay] will have a maximum of 2000 words, or an oral presentation or a poster presentation to the examiner.

Return to top