menu

Blizard Institute

Teaching menu

Liver and Pancreatic Disease (ICMM934/942)

Module Co-ordinators:

Prof Graham Foster, g.r.foster@qmul.ac.uk

Dr Debra Marcos, d.marcos@qmul.ac.uk

Dr Alicia Green, a.e.green@qmul.ac.uk

In this module we look into :

  • Normal and abnormal liver, pancreatic and biliary anatomy and histology. Physiology of bile and gall stone formation.
  • The aetiopathogenesis of liver, biliary and pancreatic disease.
  • The clinical presentation and management of liver, biliary and pancreatic diseases: Non alcoholic fatty liver disease. Liver disease in pregnancy. Metals and liver. Autoimmune liver disease. Drug-induced liver disease. Alcoholic liver disease.
  • The principles and practice underlying the management of portal hypertension, cirrhosis and liver failure.
  • The importance of hepatotropic viruses as a cause of chronic liver diseases, the natural history, clinical presentation and management of hepatitis B and C. The methods used to evaluate new anti-viral agents and their strengths and weaknesses. How interferon works.
  • Liver cancer: chemotherapy approaches and surgical aspects
  • Imaging of the liver and pancreas Biliary and pancreatic disease. Pancreatic surgery. Benign liver lesions.
  •  Understanding the aetiopathogenesis of liver, biliary and pancreatic disease
  • Understand the clinical presentation and management of liver,biliary and pancreatic diseases
  • To understand the mechanisms of liver disease
  • To understand the principals and practice underlying the management of portal hypertension, cirrhosis and liver failure.
  • Understanding the methods used to evaluate new anti-viral agents and their strengths and weaknesses.  Papers
  • Revise normal and abnormal liver histology
  • Appreciate the importance of hepatotropic viruses as a cause of chronic liver diseases and understand the natural history of hepatitis B and C
  • Liver Cancer: Chemotherapy approaches and Surgical aspects
  • Sherlock and Dooley: Diseases of the Liver and Biliary system
  • Foster and Goldin: Management of Chronic Viral Hepatitis

One examination lasting 1.5 or 2 hours. This module exam is worth 60% of the mark for the module, with the remaining 40% constituted by coursework, which will be set at the start of the module. The coursework assignment [essay] will have a maximum of 2000 words, or an oral presentation or a poster presentation to the examiner.

Return to top