menu

Blizard Institute

Teaching menu

Introduction to Endoscopy (ICMM938/946)

Module Co-ordinators:

Dr Alicia Green, a.e.green@qmul.ac.uk

Dr Debra Marcos, d.marcos@qmul.ac.uk

This module provides teaching of the principles and practical skills required in endoscopy. It is intended as an update for those with some experience of endoscopy, and an introduction for novices allowing them to accelerate further training after completing this module.

The main details of the module are as follows:

  • Understanding of main diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy techniques.
  • Recognition of normal and pathological endoscopy images.
  • Understanding of principles of endoscopy equipment.
  • Knowledge of the processes consent, preparation and sedation of the patients.
  • Understanding of complications of endoscopy.
  • Organisation and running an endoscopy service.
  • Training in endoscopy.
  • Basic knowledge of interpretation of a videocapsule endoscopy

This module provides teaching of the principles required in endoscopy. It is intended as an update for those with some experience of endoscopy, and an introduction for novices
allowing them to accelerate further training after completing this module.

  1. Understanding of main diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy techniques.
  2. Recognition of normal and pathological endoscopy images.
  3. Understanding of principles of endoscopy equipment.
  4. Knowledge of the processes consent, preparation and sedation of the patients.
  5. Understanding of complications of endoscopy.
  6. Organisation and running an endoscopy service.
  7. Training in endoscopy.
  8. Basic knowledge of interpretation of a videocapsule endoscopy

Practical GI Endoscopy: Cotton and Williams

Gastrointestinal Endoscopy: Classen and Tytgat

One examination lasting 1 hour. This module exam is worth 60% of the mark for the module, with the remaining 40% constituted by coursework, which will be set at the start of the module. The coursework assignment [essay] will have a maximum of 2000 words, or an oral presentation or a poster presentation to the examiner.

Return to top