Dr Sanjay Agrawal, MBBS, MS, FRCS(Gen. Surg), FASMBS
Honorary Senior Lecturer
Centre: Neuroscience and Trauma
Mr Sanjay Agrawal is a Consultant Bariatric, Laparoscopic and Upper GI Surgeon at Homerton University Hospital in London. He also holds the position of Honorary Senior Lecturer at Queen Mary University of London.
Mr Agrawal is designated as ‘Surgeon of Excellence in Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery™, SOEMBS™’ by Surgical Review Corporation of USA. Worldwide, this is seen as a marker of quality assurance in patient care. He has the honour of being the only Weight-loss/Obesity Surgeon in the UK to achieve this certification.
As Editor-In-Chief, Mr Agrawal has edited a book titled ‘Obesity, Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery: A Practical Guide’ published in October, 2015 by Springer. The book has clocked over 90,000 combined chapter downloads electronically worldwide since its release.
Mr Agrawal was awarded ‘Fellow of the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (FASMBS)’ in 2016.
Mr Agrawal has had extensive training in UK, Belgium, Japan & India. He has made numerous presentations (>100) at national and international meetings as well as multiple publications (>100) in peer-reviewed journals.
His main clinical and research interests are in the surgical management of obesity.
- Adegbola S, Tayeh S, Agrawal S. Systematic review of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in patients with body mass index < 35. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, Jan-Feb, 2014; 10(1): 155-60. Impact Factor: 4.942 (2014)
- Mahawar KK, Borg CM, Agarwal S, Riebeiro R, De Luca M, Small PK. Criteria for inclusion of Newer Bariatric and Metabolic Procedures into the Mainstream: A Survey of 396 Bariatric Surgeons. Obesity Surgery, Oct, 2016; [Epub ahead of print]. Impact Factor: 3.739 (2014)
- Thomas H, Agrawal S. Systematic review of Obesity Surgery Mortality Risk Score (OSMRS) - Preoperative risk stratification in bariatric surgery. Obesity Surgery, July, 2012; 22(7): 1135-40. Impact Factor: 3.739 (2014)
- Agrawal S. Impact of bariatric fellowship training on peri-operative outcomes for laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in the first year as consultant surgeon. Obesity Surgery, December, 2011; 21(12): 1817-21. Impact Factor: 3.739 (2014)
- Thomas H, Agrawal S. Systematic review of same-day laparoscopic adjustable gastric band surgery. Obesity Surgery, June, 2011; 21(6): 805-10. Impact Factor: 3.739 (2014)
- Agrawal S, Van Dessel E, Akin F, Van Cauwenberge S, Dillemans B. Laparoscopic adjustable banded sleeve gastrectomy as a primary procedure for the super-super obese (Body Mass Index > 60kg/m2). Obesity Surgery, August, 2010; 20(8):1161-3. Impact Factor: 3.739 (2014)
- Awad S, Aguilo R, Agrawal S, Ahmed J. Outcomes of linear-stapled versus hand-sewn gastrojejunal anastomosis in laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Surgical Endoscopy, August, 2015; 29(8): 2278-83. Impact Factor: 3.313 (2014)
- Afoke J, Agrawal S, Edmond J, Mahon D, Welbourn R. Effect of source of funding on weight loss up to three years after gastric banding. Surgical Endoscopy, April, 2013; 27(4): 1219-14. Impact Factor: 3.313 (2014)
- Agrawal S, Shaw A, Soon Y. Single-port laparoscopic totally extra-peritoneal (TEP) inguinal hernia repair: initial experience. Surgical Endoscopy, September, 2010; 24(4): 952-6. Impact Factor: 3.313 (2014)
- Shapey I, Agrawal S, Peacock A, Super P. A prospective cross-sectional study of laparoscopic subtotal Lind fundoplication for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease – a durable and effective anti-reflux procedure. International Journal of Surgery, January, 2015, 13: 257-60. Impact Factor: 1.65 (2014)
- Agrawal S, Slovick A, Soon Y. Single-port laparoscopy for the drainage of abdominal fluid collections with the TriPort system: initial experience. Surgical Innovation, September, 2010; 17(3): 261-3. Impact Factor: 1.338 (2014)
- Dillemans B, Van Cauwenberge S, Agrawal S, Van Dessel E, Mulier JP.
Laparoscopic adjustable banded Roux-en-Y gastric bypass as a primary procedure for the super-super obese (Body Mass Index > 60kg/m2). BMC Surgery, 2010; 10:33. Impact Factor: 1.24 (2014)
- Agrawal S. Post-CCT National Surgical Fellowship in bariatric and upper GI Surgery. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (Suppl), November, 2010; 92: 354-6. Impact Factor: 1.223 (2014)
- Thomas H, Agrawal S. Systematic review of day-case laparoscopic fundoplication. Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques, November, 2011; 21(9):781-88. Impact Factor: 1.187 (2014)
- Thomas H, Agrawal S. Systematic review of 23-hr (outpatient) stay laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery. Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques, October, 2011; 21(8): 677-81. Impact Factor: 1.187 (2014)
- Lynn W, Agrawal S. Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass. Book – ‘Metabolism and Physiology of Bariatric Surgery: Nutrition, Procedures, Outcomes & Adverse Effects’. Published by Elsevier, 2016.
- Alam I, Agrawal S. Introduction to Obesity. Book – ‘Obesity, Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery: A Practical Guide’. Published by Springer, 2015.
- Ramar S, Agrawal S. Outcomes of Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy.
Book – ‘Obesity, Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery: A Practical Guide’. Published by Springer, 2015.
- Halim I, Pournaras DJ, Agrawal S, Koak Y. Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass – The Linear Technique. Book – ‘Obesity, Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery: A Practical Guide’. Published by Springer, 2015.