Dr Kash Akhtar
Senior Clinical Academic Lecturer in Orthopaedic Trauma Sciences
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 20 7882 2293
A Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Barts Health NHS Trust and fellowship trained in all aspects of complex knee surgery, with a specialist interest in traumatic knee dislocations and multiligament injuries. He gained further experience as a Winston Churchill Fellow over 4 months in the USA in 2014 where he spent time at the Mayo Clinic, Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas and Rush University Medical Centre in Chicago.
Senior Clinical Academic Lecturer and Course Director for the new MSc in Orthopaedic Trauma Science, which complements the existing Trauma Science Masters programmes.
- Sordi R, Nandra KK, Chiazza F et al. (2017). Artesunate Protects Against the Organ Injury and Dysfunction Induced by Severe Hemorrhage and Resuscitation. Ann Surg 265, (2) 408-417. 10.1097/SLA.0000000000001664
- Abbas Z, Abburu S, Abd Ghaffar MK et al. (2017). Safety of Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs in Major Gastrointestinal Surgery: A Prospective, Multicenter Cohort Study. World Journal of Surgery 41, (1) 47-55. 10.1007/s00268-016-3727-3
- Bos L, Schouten L, van Vught L et al. (2016). ESICM LIVES 2016: part one : Milan, Italy. 1-5 October 2016. Intensive Care Med Exp 4, (Suppl 1) 27-. 10.1186/s40635-016-0098-x
- Velasquez T, Mackey G, Lusk J et al. (2016). ESICM LIVES 2016: part three : Milan, Italy. 1-5 October 2016. Intensive Care Med Exp 4, (Suppl 1) 28-. 10.1186/s40635-016-0100-7
- STARSurg Collaborative (2016). Multicentre prospective cohort study of body mass index and postoperative complications following gastrointestinal surgery. British Journal of Surgery 103, (9) 1157-1172. 10.1002/bjs.10203
- Torrance HDT, Pearse RM, O'Dwyer MJ (2016). Does major surgery induce immune suppression and increase the risk of postoperative infection?. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 29, (3) 376-383. 10.1097/ACO.0000000000000331
- Sordi R, Nandra KK, Chiazza F et al. (2016). Artesunate Protects Against the Organ Injury and Dysfunction Induced by Severe Hemorrhage and Resuscitation. Annals of surgery .
- Sordi R, Nandra KK, Chiazza F et al. (2016). Artesunate Protects Against the Organ Injury and Dysfunction Induced by Severe Hemorrhage and Resuscitation. Ann Surg . 10.1097/SLA.0000000000001664
- Raja M, Torrance H, Longbottom ER et al. (2015). Long-Term Follow-Up of Sepsis Induced Immunoparalysis. Intensive Care Med Exp 3, (Suppl 1) A49-. 10.1186/2197-425X-3-S1-A49
- Longbottom ER, Torrance H, Owen HC et al. (2015). Post-operative immune suppression is reversible with interferon gamma and independent of IL-6 pathways. Intensive Care Med Exp 3, (Suppl 1) A820-. 10.1186/2197-425X-3-S1-A820
- Torrance H, Brohi K, Warnes G et al. (2015). T-helper cell polarisation following severe polytrauma. Intensive Care Med Exp 3, (Suppl 1) A848-. 10.1186/2197-425X-3-S1-A848
- Owen HC, Torrance H, Barnes MR et al. (2015). The Role of Micrornas in The Development of Hospital Acquired Infection in Polytrauma Patients. Intensive Care Med Exp 3, (Suppl 1) A35-. 10.1186/2197-425X-3-S1-A35
- Jones TF, Owen HC, Torrance HDT et al. (2015). MicroRNA-mediated regulation of IL-10, IL-12 and TNFα gene expression in severely injured trauma patients. Scandinavian Journal of Trauma, Resuscitation and Emergency Medicine 23, (2) . 10.1186/1757-7241-23-S2-O5
- Pirmadjid N, Torrance HDT, Owen HC et al. (2015). Association Between Early Postoperatively Elevated TLR-4 & TLR-5 Gene Expression and Late Nosocomial Infection in Elective High-Risk Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary (HPB) Surgery. BRITISH JOURNAL OF SURGERY 1022-2.
- Abbott TEF, Vaid N, Ip D et al. (2015). A single-centre observational cohort study of admission National Early Warning Score (NEWS). Resuscitation 9289-93. 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2015.04.020
- Torrance HD, Brohi K, Pearse RM et al. (2015). Association between gene expression biomarkers of immunosuppression and blood transfusion in severely injured polytrauma patients. Annals of Surgery 261, (4) 751-759. 10.1097/SLA.0000000000000653
- Torrance HD, Brohi K, Pearse RM et al. (2015). Association between gene expression biomarkers of immunosuppression and blood transfusion in severely injured polytrauma patients. Ann Surg 261, (4) 751-759. 10.1097/SLA.0000000000000653
- Lahiri R, Derwa Y, Bashir Z et al. (2015). EARLY MONOCYTE DYSFUNCTION IN PATIENTS WHO DEVELOP SYSTEMIC INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE SYNDROME (SIRS) AND SEPSIS AFTER HEPATOPANCREATICOBILIARY SURGERY. JOURNAL OF HEPATOLOGY 62S290-S291.
- Strong S, Blencowe N, Bhangu A et al. (2015). How good are surgeons at identifying appendicitis? Results from a multi-centre cohort study. Int J Surg 15107-112. 10.1016/j.ijsu.2015.01.032
- Torrance HD, Vivian ME, Brohi K et al. (2015). Changes in gene expression following trauma are related to the age of transfused packed red blood cells. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 78, (3) 535-542. 10.1097/TA.0000000000000534
- Lahiri R, Derwa Y, Bashir Z et al. (2015). Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome After Major Abdominal Surgery Predicted by Early Upregulation of TLR4 and TLR5. Ann Surg 2015, (3) 27-. 10.5966/sctm.2012-0137
- O'Dwyer MJ, Owen HC, Torrance HD (2015). The perioperative immune response. Curr Opin Crit Care . 10.1097/MCC.0000000000000213
- Torrance HD, Brohi K, Pearse RM et al. (2014). Association between gene expression biomarkers of immunosuppression and blood transfusion in severely injured polytrauma patients. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med 22, (1) 774-. 10.1186/1757-7241-22-S1-O7
- STARSurg Collaborative (2014). Impact of postoperative non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on adverse events after gastrointestinal surgery. Br J Surg 101, (11) 1413-1423. 10.1002/bjs.9614
- Fragkou PC, Torrance HD, Pearse RM et al. (2014). Perioperative blood transfusion is associated with a gene transcription profile characteristic of immunosuppression: a prospective cohort study. Crit Care 18, (5) 541-. 10.1186/s13054-014-0541-x
- Ferguson HJM, Hall NJ, Bhangu A et al. (2014). A multicentre cohort study assessing day of week effect and outcome from emergency appendicectomy. BMJ Qual Saf 23, (9) 732-740. 10.1136/bmjqs-2013-002290
- Vivian M, Torrance HDT, Pearse R et al. (2014). THE AGE OF TRANSFUSED PACKED RED BLOOD CELLS CORRELATES WITH THE DEGREE OF IMMUNOSUPPRESSION AS ASSESSED BY GENE EXPRESSION PATTERNS IN SEVERELY INJURED TRAUMA PATIENTS. INTENSIVE CARE MEDICINE 40S20-S20.
- Singh P, Turner EJH, Cornish J et al. (2014). Safety assessment of resident grade and supervision level during emergency appendectomy: analysis of a multicenter, prospective study. Surgery 156, (1) 28-38. 10.1016/j.surg.2014.04.007
- Fragkou P, Torrance H, Ackland G et al. (2014). Major gastrointestinal surgery is associated with a specific gene expression profile that is quantitatively associated with infectious complications. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF ANAESTHESIOLOGY 3114-14.
- Tiboni S, Bhangu A, Hall NJ et al. (2014). Outcome of appendicectomy in children performed in paediatric surgery units compared with general surgery units. Br J Surg 101, (6) 707-714. 10.1002/bjs.9455
- Bhangu A, Singh P, Panagiotopoulou IG et al. (2014). Safety of Short, In-Hospital Delays Before Surgery for Acute Appendicitis. ANNALS OF SURGERY 259, (5) 894-903. 10.1097/SLA.0000000000000492
- United Kingdom National Surgical Research Collaborative, Bhangu A (2014). Safety of short, in-hospital delays before surgery for acute appendicitis: multicentre cohort study, systematic review, and meta-analysis. Ann Surg 259, (5) 894-903. 10.1097/SLA.0000000000000492
- Torrance HDT, Tan KL, Jackson A (2014). Metastatic lung cancer, an interesting stroke mimic. BMJ Case Rep 2014. 10.1136/bcr-2013-201699
- Torrance HDT, Brohi K, Pearse RM et al. (2013). BLOOD TRANSFUSION FOLLOWING SEVERE TRAUMA IS ASSOCIATED WITH THE DEVELOPMENT OF AN EARLY ANTI-INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE. INTENSIVE CARE MEDICINE 39S386-S387.
- National Surgical Research Collaborative (2013). Multicentre observational study of performance variation in provision and outcome of emergency appendicectomy. Br J Surg 100, (9) 1240-1252. 10.1002/bjs.9201
- Torrance HDT, Cordova AC, Hoppe IC (2011). A crabbing misadventure. Eplasty 11ic9-.
- Abbott TEF, Torrance HDT, Cron N et al. (). A single-centre cohort study of National Early Warning Score (NEWS) and near patient testing in acute medical admissions. European Journal of Internal Medicine . 10.1016/j.ejim.2016.06.014
- OWEN HC, Torrance HDT, Jones TF et al. (). Epigenetic regulatory pathways involving micro-RNAs may modulate the host immune response following major trauma. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery . 10.1097/TA.0000000000000850
- Longbottom ER, Torrance HD, Owen HC et al. (). Features of Postoperative Immune Suppression Are Reversible With Interferon Gamma and Independent of Interleukin-6 Pathways. Annals of Surgery . 10.1097/SLA.0000000000001484
- GlobalSurg Collaborative (). Mortality of emergency abdominal surgery in high-, middle- and low-income countries. British Journal of Surgery . 10.1002/bjs.10151