The Queen Mary Alumni Data Protection Policy is in addition to the university's data protection policy and applies specifically to information held about alumni, donors and supporters of Queen Mary University of London (QMUL).
The Development & Alumni Directorate helps former students to keep in touch with the university and with fellow alumni, as well as to provide opportunities to support the work of QMUL.
The information you provide is used by the university to communicate with you in a variety of ways, such as:
• the promotion of the relationship between the university and its alumni for mutual benefit
• university-related fundraising initiatives involving alumni and other supporters
• eliciting non-financial support (e.g. careers support for students and assistance with student recruitment activities)
• sending invitations to alumni events and other events of interest organised by QMUL
• university mailings, both hard-copy and electronic (e.g. Alumni magazines and e-newsletters)
• promoting the benefits and services available to alumni
If you prefer not to receive some types or any of our communication, you can opt-out by either joining our Alumni Portal and updating your preferences or by emailing us at email@example.com. All personal information will be treated strictly in accordance with QMUL's Data Protection Policy and the Data Protection Act 1998. The university is subject to various access to information regimes, such as Freedom of Information, which oblige it to disclose information on request in order to comply with the law. In addition, QMUL is obliged to send some data about you to agencies such as the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). Please see HESA's fair processing notice for further details (updated April 2012).
However, your information is not shared with other alumni, apart from any details that you choose to share via the Alumni Portal. Furthermore, your data will also not routinely be disclosed to any external bodies, other than those contracted by QMUL’s Development & Alumni Directorate in order to assist with its routine activities listed above. We always ensure that we have a thorough non-disclosure policy in place which means that the external body is only able to use information we provide for the specified purpose and nothing further.